Long underwear recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe S., Dec 10, 2005.

  1. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    I need recommendations for long underwear.

    Several years ago I purchased three sets -- tops and bottoms -- of
    polypropylene long underwear. Don't recall the brand or anything else about
    it. It was good stuff -- not bulky, wicked sweat away from my tired old
    body. Also -- I could wear it around the house or at other times when I was
    not running or hiking and it did not keep my overly warm.

    In January 2005, we moved from NE Tennessee to the Mississippi Gulf Coast --
    I tossed the old, well-worn long underwear as I did not need it on the Gulf.
    Also tossed a lot of other old cold weather gear.

    Everything changed on 29 August when Hurricane Katrina destroyed our
    apartment, the house we were building, and everything we owned -- we got out
    with the clothes on our backs, managed to salvage one vehicle, two tables,
    six chairs, and our dishes.

    Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
    3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes -- 8 -
    16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold weather
    gear, starting with long underwear.

    I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly, all
    sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
    -- long underwear
    -- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Joe S. wrote:
    > What do you recommend for :
    > -- long underwear

    For lounging around home or for warmth on extra cold days, silk is
    king. It's vey light and non-bulky yet surprisingly warm and comfy.
    It wicks, it breathes, it shoots - it scores! Gooooaaaalllll!!!

    And you can generally find it discounted at places like Sierra Trading
    Post: http://tinyurl.com/ab8np

  3. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:26:25 -0500, "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need recommendations for long underwear.
    >
    >Several years ago I purchased three sets -- tops and bottoms -- of
    >polypropylene long underwear. Don't recall the brand or anything else about
    >it. It was good stuff -- not bulky, wicked sweat away from my tired old
    >body. Also -- I could wear it around the house or at other times when I was
    >not running or hiking and it did not keep my overly warm.
    >
    >In January 2005, we moved from NE Tennessee to the Mississippi Gulf Coast --
    >I tossed the old, well-worn long underwear as I did not need it on the Gulf.
    >Also tossed a lot of other old cold weather gear.
    >
    >Everything changed on 29 August when Hurricane Katrina destroyed our
    >apartment, the house we were building, and everything we owned -- we got out
    >with the clothes on our backs, managed to salvage one vehicle, two tables,
    >six chairs, and our dishes.
    >
    >Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
    >3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes -- 8 -
    >16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold weather
    >gear, starting with long underwear.
    >
    >I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly, all
    >sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
    >-- long underwear
    >-- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking
    >
    >Thanks.

    Joe S.

    Sorry to hear about your plight. I would have been there too, however
    we were a little behind in selling our house. Had an option on a lot
    in Biloxi and would have been building when the storm hit. The house
    next door to my intended lot was completely destroyed. Many of my
    family and friends suffered severe losses.

    Your age and running schedule is almost identical to mine.

    I like UnderArmour. Pricey, but you don't need a lot of pairs because
    you can hand wash and hang it inside on a shower rod and they will dry
    very quickly.

    for rain gear I bought some inexpensive very light stuff from Campmoor
    that was specifically for backpacking. I think it might have been
    their brand. I have a poncho for backpacking (hump for the pack) and
    a hooded jacket for running/dayhikes.

    Hope it works out for you and good luck.

    Frank

  4. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    "Frank Boettcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:26:25 -0500, "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I need recommendations for long underwear.
    >>
    >>Several years ago I purchased three sets -- tops and bottoms -- of
    >>polypropylene long underwear. Don't recall the brand or anything else
    >>about
    >>it. It was good stuff -- not bulky, wicked sweat away from my tired old
    >>body. Also -- I could wear it around the house or at other times when I
    >>was
    >>not running or hiking and it did not keep my overly warm.
    >>
    >>In January 2005, we moved from NE Tennessee to the Mississippi Gulf
    >>Coast --
    >>I tossed the old, well-worn long underwear as I did not need it on the
    >>Gulf.
    >>Also tossed a lot of other old cold weather gear.
    >>
    >>Everything changed on 29 August when Hurricane Katrina destroyed our
    >>apartment, the house we were building, and everything we owned -- we got
    >>out
    >>with the clothes on our backs, managed to salvage one vehicle, two tables,
    >>six chairs, and our dishes.
    >>
    >>Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
    >>3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes --
    >>8 -
    >>16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold
    >>weather
    >>gear, starting with long underwear.
    >>
    >>I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly,
    >>all
    >>sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
    >>-- long underwear
    >>-- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    > Joe S.
    >
    > Sorry to hear about your plight. I would have been there too, however
    > we were a little behind in selling our house. Had an option on a lot
    > in Biloxi and would have been building when the storm hit. The house
    > next door to my intended lot was completely destroyed. Many of my
    > family and friends suffered severe losses.
    >
    > Your age and running schedule is almost identical to mine.
    >
    > I like UnderArmour. Pricey, but you don't need a lot of pairs because
    > you can hand wash and hang it inside on a shower rod and they will dry
    > very quickly.
    >
    > for rain gear I bought some inexpensive very light stuff from Campmoor
    > that was specifically for backpacking. I think it might have been
    > their brand. I have a poncho for backpacking (hump for the pack) and
    > a hooded jacket for running/dayhikes.
    >
    > Hope it works out for you and good luck.
    >
    > Frank

    Frank --

    Thanks for the tips. I'll check it out.

    Meanwhile, go to this site and click on the link to our experience with
    Katrina -- complete with maps and photos. http://www.schlatter.org/

    If you had completed your move to Biloxi, you, too, could have had as much
    fun as we did!!!!

  5. QX

    QX Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:26:25 -0500, "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need recommendations for long underwear.
    >
    >Several years ago I purchased three sets -- tops and bottoms -- of
    >polypropylene long underwear. Don't recall the brand or anything else about
    >it. It was good stuff -- not bulky, wicked sweat away from my tired old
    >body. Also -- I could wear it around the house or at other times when I was
    >not running or hiking and it did not keep my overly warm.
    >
    >In January 2005, we moved from NE Tennessee to the Mississippi Gulf Coast --
    >I tossed the old, well-worn long underwear as I did not need it on the Gulf.
    >Also tossed a lot of other old cold weather gear.
    >
    >Everything changed on 29 August when Hurricane Katrina destroyed our
    >apartment, the house we were building, and everything we owned -- we got out
    >with the clothes on our backs, managed to salvage one vehicle, two tables,
    >six chairs, and our dishes.
    >
    >Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
    >3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes -- 8 -
    >16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold weather
    >gear, starting with long underwear.
    >
    >I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly, all
    >sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
    >-- long underwear
    >-- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking
    >
    >Thanks.

    Try these from www.campmor.com
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=19296&memberId=12500226
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=31924509&memberId=12500226

  6. Dai Uy

    Dai Uy Guest

    Joe S. wrote:
    > I need recommendations for long underwear.

    Small world, n'est-ce pas? Whatcha doing here in this hiking
    group, mon colonel?

    Funny that you should be asking about long underwear. Here I sit
    -- warm as toast -- in my practically unused, but twenty year old,
    Patagonia "Capilene" longjohns. I'm in upstate New York, on the
    Quebec border, for a family funeral. Burial was Wednesday, 5 degrees
    and a brisk wind -- I was wearing heavy boot socks, cotton slacks, a
    silk aloha shirt a Punahou jacket and my Patagonia "Capilene"
    longjohns.

    My ears froze, but that was all. Maybe it was the silk shirt, but
    I seriously doubt it. "Capilene" just cannot be beat. Patagonia is
    ridicuously expensive -- I just looked -- but you can be sure of the
    quality. "Capilene" is great stuff, and I suspect REI or someone can
    beat Patagonia's price. Mine are at least twenty years old, but you
    know where I live and how much use I can give them.

    I am looking forward to getting back to paradise next week.

    See you around, keep on keeping on,

    -Dai Uy
    a.k.a. T. H. Rau

  7. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    "Dai Uy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Joe S. wrote:
    >> I need recommendations for long underwear.

    > Small world, n'est-ce pas? Whatcha doing here in this hiking
    > group, mon colonel?
    >
    > Funny that you should be asking about long underwear. Here I sit
    > -- warm as toast -- in my practically unused, but twenty year old,
    > Patagonia "Capilene" longjohns. I'm in upstate New York, on the
    > Quebec border, for a family funeral. Burial was Wednesday, 5 degrees
    > and a brisk wind -- I was wearing heavy boot socks, cotton slacks, a
    > silk aloha shirt a Punahou jacket and my Patagonia "Capilene"
    > longjohns.
    >
    > My ears froze, but that was all. Maybe it was the silk shirt, but
    > I seriously doubt it. "Capilene" just cannot be beat. Patagonia is
    > ridicuously expensive -- I just looked -- but you can be sure of the
    > quality. "Capilene" is great stuff, and I suspect REI or someone can
    > beat Patagonia's price. Mine are at least twenty years old, but you
    > know where I live and how much use I can give them.
    >
    > I am looking forward to getting back to paradise next week.
    >
    > See you around, keep on keeping on,
    >
    > -Dai Uy
    > a.k.a. T. H. Rau

    Upstate NY??? You are seriously lost!!! Get back to paradise
    immediately -- or put lots of anti-freeze in your bloodstream!!

  8. SwStudio

    SwStudio Guest

    "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
    > 3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes --
    > 8 - 16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold
    > weather gear, starting with long underwear.
    >
    > I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly,
    > all sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
    > -- long underwear
    > -- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking
    >
    > Thanks.

    MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) in Canada has really nice
    thermal underwear for various temperature scenarios. I own a
    couple pairs and in combination with my heavy Sugoi Sub-Zero
    tights I can brave very nasty, cold weather.

    I am sure they do mail-order. I don't work for them in any way,
    but can vouch that everything they make is quite top-notch.

    cheers,
    --
    David Hirsh, director
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com

  9. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    This stuff is at all kinds of stors now from Walmarts to specialty
    sports stores.
    Anywahere from $10 to $0 dollars a piece, but mostly the same.
    Look for where the seams are, or you might have uncomforatble chaffing.

  10. Chips

    Chips Guest

    REI has great synthetic long underwear.

    www.rei.com/online/store/Search?sto...mns_underwear&vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC

    GC

  11. Chips wrote:
    > REI has great synthetic long underwear.

    These oil-based synthetics - at least the ones I've tried; maybe
    Patagonia's $$$ stuff is better - seem to encourage the development of
    stink, then hold onto it a lot more tenaciously than silk or wool.

    With some advanced laundering strategies one can out-smart the stink,
    but still.

  12. "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Chips wrote:
    >> REI has great synthetic long underwear.

    > These oil-based synthetics - at least the ones I've tried; maybe
    > Patagonia's $$$ stuff is better - seem to encourage the development of
    > stink, then hold onto it a lot more tenaciously than silk or wool.
    >
    > With some advanced laundering strategies one can out-smart the stink,
    > but still.

    This is what works for me with any kind of polyester or nylon: simply
    rinse it out in the shower after wearing, but before it dries out. Once it
    dries, it seems like it absorbs that odor. Rinse it well and let it drip
    dry - I usually wear it again, but at least it doesn't stink in the laundry.

    Dave

  13. "David Geesaman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Chips wrote:
    > >> REI has great synthetic long underwear.

    > > These oil-based synthetics - at least the ones I've tried; maybe
    > > Patagonia's $$$ stuff is better - seem to encourage the development of
    > > stink, then hold onto it a lot more tenaciously than silk or wool.
    > >
    > > With some advanced laundering strategies one can out-smart the stink,
    > > but still.

    > This is what works for me with any kind of polyester or nylon: simply
    > rinse it out in the shower after wearing, but before it dries out. Once

    it
    > dries, it seems like it absorbs that odor. Rinse it well and let it drip
    > dry - I usually wear it again, but at least it doesn't stink in the

    laundry.

    > Dave

    I've worn MTS for a long time and it has always rinsed out fresh as a daisy
    with a bit of soap and water.