Long underwear recommendations?

Joe S.

Guest
I need recommendations for long underwear.

Several years ago I purchased three sets -- tops and bottoms -- of
polypropylene long underwear. Don't recall the brand or anything else about
it. It was good stuff -- not bulky, wicked sweat away from my tired old
body. Also -- I could wear it around the house or at other times when I was
not running or hiking and it did not keep my overly warm.

In January 2005, we moved from NE Tennessee to the Mississippi Gulf Coast --
I tossed the old, well-worn long underwear as I did not need it on the Gulf.
Also tossed a lot of other old cold weather gear.

Everything changed on 29 August when Hurricane Katrina destroyed our
apartment, the house we were building, and everything we owned -- we got out
with the clothes on our backs, managed to salvage one vehicle, two tables,
six chairs, and our dishes.

Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes -- 8 -
16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold weather
gear, starting with long underwear.

I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly, all
sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
-- long underwear
-- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking

Thanks.

Joe S. wrote:
> What do you recommend for :
> -- long underwear

For lounging around home or for warmth on extra cold days, silk is
king. It's vey light and non-bulky yet surprisingly warm and comfy.
It wicks, it breathes, it shoots - it scores! Gooooaaaalllll!!!

And you can generally find it discounted at places like Sierra Trading
Post: http://tinyurl.com/ab8np

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:26:25 -0500, "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>I need recommendations for long underwear.
>
>Several years ago I purchased three sets -- tops and bottoms -- of
>polypropylene long underwear. Don't recall the brand or anything else about
>it. It was good stuff -- not bulky, wicked sweat away from my tired old
>body. Also -- I could wear it around the house or at other times when I was
>not running or hiking and it did not keep my overly warm.
>
>In January 2005, we moved from NE Tennessee to the Mississippi Gulf Coast --
>I tossed the old, well-worn long underwear as I did not need it on the Gulf.
>Also tossed a lot of other old cold weather gear.
>
>Everything changed on 29 August when Hurricane Katrina destroyed our
>apartment, the house we were building, and everything we owned -- we got out
>with the clothes on our backs, managed to salvage one vehicle, two tables,
>six chairs, and our dishes.
>
>Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
>3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes -- 8 -
>16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold weather
>gear, starting with long underwear.
>
>I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly, all
>sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
>-- long underwear
>-- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking
>
>Thanks.

Joe S.

Sorry to hear about your plight. I would have been there too, however
we were a little behind in selling our house. Had an option on a lot
in Biloxi and would have been building when the storm hit. The house
next door to my intended lot was completely destroyed. Many of my
family and friends suffered severe losses.

Your age and running schedule is almost identical to mine.

I like UnderArmour. Pricey, but you don't need a lot of pairs because
you can hand wash and hang it inside on a shower rod and they will dry
very quickly.

for rain gear I bought some inexpensive very light stuff from Campmoor
that was specifically for backpacking. I think it might have been
their brand. I have a poncho for backpacking (hump for the pack) and
a hooded jacket for running/dayhikes.

Hope it works out for you and good luck.

Frank

"Frank Boettcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:26:25 -0500, "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I need recommendations for long underwear.
>>
>>Several years ago I purchased three sets -- tops and bottoms -- of
>>polypropylene long underwear. Don't recall the brand or anything else
>>about
>>it. It was good stuff -- not bulky, wicked sweat away from my tired old
>>body. Also -- I could wear it around the house or at other times when I
>>was
>>not running or hiking and it did not keep my overly warm.
>>
>>In January 2005, we moved from NE Tennessee to the Mississippi Gulf
>>Coast --
>>I tossed the old, well-worn long underwear as I did not need it on the
>>Gulf.
>>Also tossed a lot of other old cold weather gear.
>>
>>Everything changed on 29 August when Hurricane Katrina destroyed our
>>apartment, the house we were building, and everything we owned -- we got
>>out
>>with the clothes on our backs, managed to salvage one vehicle, two tables,
>>six chairs, and our dishes.
>>
>>Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
>>3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes --
>>8 -
>>16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold
>>weather
>>gear, starting with long underwear.
>>
>>I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly,
>>all
>>sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
>>-- long underwear
>>-- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

> Joe S.
>
> Sorry to hear about your plight. I would have been there too, however
> we were a little behind in selling our house. Had an option on a lot
> in Biloxi and would have been building when the storm hit. The house
> next door to my intended lot was completely destroyed. Many of my
> family and friends suffered severe losses.
>
> Your age and running schedule is almost identical to mine.
>
> I like UnderArmour. Pricey, but you don't need a lot of pairs because
> you can hand wash and hang it inside on a shower rod and they will dry
> very quickly.
>
> for rain gear I bought some inexpensive very light stuff from Campmoor
> that was specifically for backpacking. I think it might have been
> their brand. I have a poncho for backpacking (hump for the pack) and
> a hooded jacket for running/dayhikes.
>
> Hope it works out for you and good luck.
>
> Frank

Frank --

Thanks for the tips. I'll check it out.

Meanwhile, go to this site and click on the link to our experience with
Katrina -- complete with maps and photos. http://www.schlatter.org/

If you had completed your move to Biloxi, you, too, could have had as much
fun as we did!!!!

Try these from www.campmor.com
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=19296&memberId=12500226
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=31924509&memberId=12500226

Joe S. wrote:
> I need recommendations for long underwear.

Small world, n'est-ce pas? Whatcha doing here in this hiking
group, mon colonel?

Funny that you should be asking about long underwear. Here I sit
-- warm as toast -- in my practically unused, but twenty year old,
Patagonia "Capilene" longjohns. I'm in upstate New York, on the
Quebec border, for a family funeral. Burial was Wednesday, 5 degrees
and a brisk wind -- I was wearing heavy boot socks, cotton slacks, a
silk aloha shirt a Punahou jacket and my Patagonia "Capilene"
longjohns.

My ears froze, but that was all. Maybe it was the silk shirt, but
I seriously doubt it. "Capilene" just cannot be beat. Patagonia is
ridicuously expensive -- I just looked -- but you can be sure of the
quality. "Capilene" is great stuff, and I suspect REI or someone can
beat Patagonia's price. Mine are at least twenty years old, but you
know where I live and how much use I can give them.

I am looking forward to getting back to paradise next week.

See you around, keep on keeping on,

-Dai Uy
a.k.a. T. H. Rau

"Dai Uy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Joe S. wrote:
>> I need recommendations for long underwear.

> Small world, n'est-ce pas? Whatcha doing here in this hiking
> group, mon colonel?
>
> Funny that you should be asking about long underwear. Here I sit
> -- warm as toast -- in my practically unused, but twenty year old,
> Patagonia "Capilene" longjohns. I'm in upstate New York, on the
> Quebec border, for a family funeral. Burial was Wednesday, 5 degrees
> and a brisk wind -- I was wearing heavy boot socks, cotton slacks, a
> silk aloha shirt a Punahou jacket and my Patagonia "Capilene"
> longjohns.
>
> My ears froze, but that was all. Maybe it was the silk shirt, but
> I seriously doubt it. "Capilene" just cannot be beat. Patagonia is
> ridicuously expensive -- I just looked -- but you can be sure of the
> quality. "Capilene" is great stuff, and I suspect REI or someone can
> beat Patagonia's price. Mine are at least twenty years old, but you
> know where I live and how much use I can give them.
>
> I am looking forward to getting back to paradise next week.
>
> See you around, keep on keeping on,
>
> -Dai Uy
> a.k.a. T. H. Rau

Upstate NY??? You are seriously lost!!! Get back to paradise
immediately -- or put lots of anti-freeze in your bloodstream!!

"Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Now I'm back living in Knoxville, TN and am back to running. I am 61, run
> 3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week. Hiking is limited to day hikes --
> 8 - 16 miles. I run, walk, or hike in all weather and I need some cold
> weather gear, starting with long underwear.
>
> I have seen all sorts of stuff at our local running shop -- silk, poly,
> all sorts of other new fabrics. What do you recommend for :
> -- long underwear
> -- lightweight rain gear suitable for running, walking, and hiking
>
> Thanks.

MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) in Canada has really nice
thermal underwear for various temperature scenarios. I own a
couple pairs and in combination with my heavy Sugoi Sub-Zero
tights I can brave very nasty, cold weather.

I am sure they do mail-order. I don't work for them in any way,
but can vouch that everything they make is quite top-notch.

cheers,
--
David Hirsh, director
www.absolutelyaccurate.com

This stuff is at all kinds of stors now from Walmarts to specialty
sports stores.
Anywahere from $10 to $0 dollars a piece, but mostly the same.
Look for where the seams are, or you might have uncomforatble chaffing.

REI has great synthetic long underwear.

www.rei.com/online/store/Search?sto...mns_underwear&vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC

GC

Chips wrote:
> REI has great synthetic long underwear.

These oil-based synthetics - at least the ones I've tried; maybe
Patagonia's $$$ stuff is better - seem to encourage the development of
stink, then hold onto it a lot more tenaciously than silk or wool.

With some advanced laundering strategies one can out-smart the stink,
but still.

"Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chips wrote:
>> REI has great synthetic long underwear.

> These oil-based synthetics - at least the ones I've tried; maybe
> Patagonia's $$$ stuff is better - seem to encourage the development of
> stink, then hold onto it a lot more tenaciously than silk or wool.
>
> With some advanced laundering strategies one can out-smart the stink,
> but still.

This is what works for me with any kind of polyester or nylon: simply
rinse it out in the shower after wearing, but before it dries out. Once it
dries, it seems like it absorbs that odor. Rinse it well and let it drip
dry - I usually wear it again, but at least it doesn't stink in the laundry.

Dave

"David Geesaman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Chips wrote:
> >> REI has great synthetic long underwear.

> > These oil-based synthetics - at least the ones I've tried; maybe
> > Patagonia's $$$ stuff is better - seem to encourage the development of
> > stink, then hold onto it a lot more tenaciously than silk or wool.
> >
> > With some advanced laundering strategies one can out-smart the stink,
> > but still.

> This is what works for me with any kind of polyester or nylon: simply
> rinse it out in the shower after wearing, but before it dries out. Once

it
> dries, it seems like it absorbs that odor. Rinse it well and let it drip
> dry - I usually wear it again, but at least it doesn't stink in the

laundry.

> Dave

I've worn MTS for a long time and it has always rinsed out fresh as a daisy
with a bit of soap and water.