long vehicle

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by ray, May 10, 2006.

  1. ray

    ray Guest

    Free at last from using the car for doing the shopping!
    Nobody abused me for taking precious road space from the Great God Car
    this morning, but the bike trailer got a few interested stares.
    Recommended top speed is 16 k/mh (I exceeded that by 25 k/mh on the
    first hill) and rated load is 29 kg. I don't think four bags of shopping
    was anywhere near that.
    Riding with it empty was no problem, just had to remember not to cut
    corners. Riding with it full was another story. Strange push-pull
    sensations accelerating due to the heavy load hung off the rear, and
    coming up the hill home was a real grunt.
    Some modifications from first operational run. Despite reduced
    visibility, orange flag came off, this was a nuisance. Spring washer
    placed on mounting nut to stop it vibrating loose, but it looks like a
    more solid mounting is needed.
    Apart from that, generally very good. My estimate is I saved around $2
    in car fuel/maintenance by not using it. At this rate, assuming I don't
    pike it and use the car when it pours, will take about a year and a half
    at current petrol prices to pay itself off, less if they go up again.
    Cheers,
    Ray

    Tags:

  2. ray wrote:
    > At this rate, assuming I don't
    > pike it and use the car when it pours, will take about a year and a half
    > at current petrol prices to pay itself off, less if they go up again.

    Are you going to invest in dry bags for shopping in the rain? {:).

  3. Euan

    Euan Guest

    ray wrote:
    > Free at last from using the car for doing the shopping!

    Cool! What sort of trailer are you using?

    Also when at the shops how did you secure it? One of the main barriers
    for me doing the shopping with a trailer is that securing it seems
    problematic.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  4. Euan wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> Free at last from using the car for doing the shopping!

    > Cool! What sort of trailer are you using?
    >
    > Also when at the shops how did you secure it? One of the main barriers
    > for me doing the shopping with a trailer is that securing it seems
    > problematic.

    Well, with mine, it is 15mins with the spaner to disconnect it, unless
    they think they can shatter two 1/4" hi-tensile bolts quickly. Actually,
    I secure it with 2m of chain inside old tube and decent padlock. runs
    through trailer frame, rear wheel, bicycle frame and ideally around a pole.