General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Long weekend away with my New Stuff

Started by Tom · · Last activity · 3 posts · 292 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 November 2004
Last activity
2 November 2004
Original author
Tom
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
292
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well I had a nice four days plodding round the lakes. This being my first
    experience of autumn walking/camping, I had some new toys to play with:

    The good ones were:

    ME microtherm jacket. Fantastic - pertexy outer with microfleecy inner.
    Perfect worn over a smelly helly. Only wore the paclite smock over it when
    it began raining properly.

    Kimm powerstretch tights. If you don't mind wearing tights, these are fab.
    Would be too warm in milder weather, but still felt lovely and snuggly in
    hard rain and wind.

    Kimm q490 sleeping bag. Lighter than a lovely fluffy cloud, but still kept
    me warm (well I did have my clothes on).

    The less good were:

    Laser tent. It's broken!. The two zips run either side of a central tape,
    which the pole-sleeve is attached to. This tape is then attached to the main
    tape running under the tent, and the whole pole-tape ensemble provides the
    tension for the porch. Alas, the zip-tape-bit detached from the
    tape-under-the-tent bit. I was able to bodge something with the string off
    my compass, but I was not impressed. Back to the shop it goes...

    Boots, tho' it may just be me. I got some "mid" boots which go above the
    ankle. The cuff ended up pressing hard on the pointy lump to the left of my
    right ankle, and in the end made it very painful to walk.Is this a design
    flaw in my ankle or the boot?

    The jury is still out on the balloon bed. Fourth time I've used it, and I'm
    still chasing it round the tent in the middle of the night. But, it's so
    lovely and small! I'm very tempted by a short thermarest prolite 3, but it
    does take up more pack space (for a 4-night mix of YHA and wild camping I
    was using a 35l bag, weighing about 14lbs without food/water).

    Anyway, it was a very enjoyable weekend, brilliant autumn colours and some
    fine walking.

    Tom

  2. "Tom" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Boots, tho' it may just be me. I got some "mid" boots which go above the
    ankle. The cuff ended up pressing hard on the pointy lump to the left of


    my

    Quoted message said:

    right ankle, and in the end made it very painful to walk.Is this a design
    flaw in my ankle or the boot?

    I had exactly that problem recently when I wore my boots for the first time
    in ages although that was with normal height boots. So, wearing trainers
    and sandals obviously makes your ankles weak (hmm..that argument sounds
    familiar but I think it's usually stated the other way around). Anyway, the
    soles started to come apart so I bought a new pair of Salomon Extempo Mid
    boots which were very comfortable on their first outing despite my ankle
    still hurting a bit from the previous pair. So I don't think there's any
    inherent design fault with all "mid" boots if that's what you mean. They
    suit me anyway.

  3. "Tom" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well I had a nice four days plodding round the lakes.

    I also went to the lakes last week.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, it was a very enjoyable weekend, brilliant autumn colours and some
    fine walking.

    Yes, the autumn colours of the trees were fantastic. The best displays I saw
    was whilst walking on the path from Threkeld to Keswick along the abandoned
    railway trackbed. Some very good views of Blencathra as well, which I
    summited on a separate day.

    The weather seemed to be generally much drier and milder than when I went to
    the lakes at this same time of year a couple of years ago. At that time
    there was some snow on the highest mountains, and day after day of heavy
    non-stop rain at lower levels.

    R.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.