Longbike Weights?

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
Nice (new) site, but none of the bents listed have their weight displayed...a wee oversight I'm
sure. It just seems like the 1st thing people would look for when comparing various SWB models. Well
maybe not the 1st thing, but it would be in the top 5 considerations IMO.

If you'll read BJB's reviews I think you'll see a comment about heavy weights and prices....

and this, "Our test bike weighed in at a hair over 40 pounds with its fenders, rack, kickstand and
empty seat bag." at

http://www.tandembike.com/Reviews.html

news:1UgU9.73$%[email protected]...
[q1]> Nice (new) site, but none of the bents listed have their weight displayed...a wee oversight I'm[/q1]
[q1]> sure. It just seems like the 1st thing people would look for when comparing various SWB models.[/q1]
[q1]> Well maybe not[/q1]
the
[q1]> 1st thing, but it would be in the top 5 considerations IMO.[/q1]

The original Avatar was 29 lbs. the Vanguard was 31 lbs. The weight of recumbents has always been an
issue with the critics. I've been involved in a number of on-line arguments about the importance of
weight with the DF purists. Of course the people on this NG are aware that it is pretty much a
non-issue, but as the recumbent market has slowly grown, a performance oriented customer group has
started to emerge, equivalent to the classic drop bar roadie type that has so long dominated the DF
bike business. Hopefully these people wont evolve into the weight weenies who agonize over every
gram of extra weight and who talk endlessly about things like how to save weight by drilling out
your brake levers. I'd say that the average weight of a Vanguard usually ended up at about 40 lbs.
The majority of our customers used the bikes for touring as I'm sure will most likely be the case
for Longbikes customers. Over the years we had some customers who did some pretty impressive
mileage. The first Avatar customer (who was 60 when he bought the bike) did a club century ride a
couple of days after he bought it. His next ride was from Ohio to British Columbia, by the age of 80
he had put something like 80,000 miles on the bike. The longest mileage in a single day that I know
of was 312 miles by a 51 year old rider. Another customer did 40 consecutive centuries on a trip
from Bend Oregon to Anaheim Ca. to Jacksonville Fl. This was done on a Vanguard that had every
accessory known to man including a single wheel trailer designed by the owner, total bike weight of
about 100 lbs. The same guy did STP on a Duplex tandem alone with the trailer. So, for those who
might be concerned about weight, don't worry, a couple of extra pounds isn't going to hurt.

**** Ryan

Quoth "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]>:
| If you'll read BJB's reviews I think you'll see a comment about heavy weights and prices....
|
| and this, "Our test bike weighed in at a hair over 40 pounds with its fenders, rack, kickstand and
| empty seat bag." at
|
| http://www.tandembike.com/Reviews.html

Though of course that wouldn't precisely apply when ``comparing various SWB models'', because it
refers to the LWB Slipstream for one thing.

But of course it's a vague figure anyway. For another example, BROL says his test Streetmachine
weighed 42 lbs, and the HP web site says a basic Streetmachine weighs 36. Of course if Greg cited a
weight for the Eliminator, it would be a factory weight like the one HP gives, and you could assume
that the complete outfit would be a few pounds heavier, but it just seems so ambiguous that you
still might be looking at numbers that aren't valid for comparison.

Donn

Quoth "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]>:
| If you'll read BJB's reviews I think you'll see a comment about heavy weights and prices....
|
| and this, "Our test bike weighed in at a hair over 40 pounds with its fenders, rack, kickstand and
| empty seat bag." at
|
| http://www.tandembike.com/Reviews.html

Though of course that wouldn't precisely apply when ``comparing various SWB models'', because it
refers to the LWB Slipstream for one thing.

But of course it's a vague figure anyway. For another example, BROL says his test Streetmachine
weighed 42 lbs, and the HP web site says a basic Streetmachine weighs 36. Of course if Greg cited a
weight for the Eliminator, it would be a factory weight like the one HP gives, and you could assume
that the complete outfit would be a few pounds heavier, but it just seems so ambiguous that you
still might be looking at numbers that aren't valid for comparison.

Donn

I thought about that before. Greg would be stuck with giving the weights with the various parts
added, long inseam, short inseam, OSS/USS etc. But there is usually one stated weight for the bent
as described...then you add the bells and whistles you want from there and you can guesstimate what
each addition weighs added to the base weight. No base weight and you can end up adding fenders to
something that weighs more than a ReBike. I assume the weight omission was an oversight and not
intentional....but it may end up being the (most) frequently asked question and then Longbikes will
be spending all their time Emailing the weight. I will not lose any sleep over this...cause I'm not
even mildly interested in SWBs, just thought it was curious and I am not trying to read anything
into this very minor omission....yawn (slow day).