Longer stems is an advantage???

frenchyge said:
Wow, that guy's got a really stiff, powerful-looking stem. The Italian girls must swoon when they see that thing coming.

Heh, I like the "lightweight" carbon wheels. So, do y'all think those would be a big advantage? ;)

Wow man I hope we are still talking about the stem.......heheheh:D

Stiffness isn't all it's cracked up to be. How long can you ride? Built for comfort is where it's at. :D

This is only anecdotal, but, over the years, I've stupidly bought a couple of frames that were a little too small for me (because they were great deals), and, thus, ended up needing 140mm stems on them to get comfortable. I dunno if it was other factors -- and I know it's only a cm or 2 difference -- but both bikes handled 'oddly' when I rode off the saddle. I dunno how some of those big guys can use 15cm stems

frenchyge said:
The Italian girls must swoon when they see that thing coming.

Cipo's stem? Probably a few guys swooning as well! ;)

0,1020,12515,00.jpg

rplace13 said:
First you have to have a proper fit, no debate on that.

How you arrive there could be up for debate. Assuming I could get properly fit on a 54 with more seat post showing and a longer stem or a 56 with shorter stem and less seatpost. All other things being equal I personally prefer a 54 with longer stem.

For me the more compact I can get the frame the better. I feel the bike handles better and is more responsive.

Toe overlap is a non-issue in my book, I lean to turn, I hardly ever move my handlebars more then a tiny bit unless it is at a very slow speed and sharp turn. Then I am smart enough to pedal backward and get my foot out of the way.;)

I'm the same way. I will always choose the smaller frame with a longer stem. The smaller frame will have a shorter head tube, which will let me get in a more aggressive aero position.

frenchyge said:
:D Forgot about that. So, does that create a performance advantage? ;)

No doubt,this will surely create some performance advantage!I bet the rider of the bike look at that more than the cyclometer all the time.:D