Longest available stem

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bentbiker, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bentbiker

Bentbiker Guest

i'd like to do a direct steer USS conversion as a fun project on a bike, could someone tell me where
    to get the longest available aheadset style stem? I think Challenge used to offer some real long
    ones, but i'm not sure how to obtain one in this country? TIA

Tags:

2. Rorschandt

Rorschandt Guest

bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> i'd like to do a direct steer USS conversion as a fun project on a bike, could someone tell me
    > where to get the longest available aheadset style stem? I think Challenge used to offer some real
    > long ones, but i'm not sure how to obtain one in this country? TIA
    >
    >

http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp Weyless R18 in 130mm is the longest I've found.U$25

3. I needed to put a handlebar stem extension on a bike that was much longer than anything commercially
    available. I made one myself, from steel tubing of different diameters and wall-thicknesses, that I
    bought at an industrial supply house that specialized in metal materials. They had a scrap bin where
    I was able to find just what I needed, sold by the pound and much cheaper than buying whole lengths.
    Once, I made a super-high seat stem for a 6' 7" woman, by ramming 3 diameters of aluminum tubing
    inside one another with a hardwood dowel epoxy-glued in the core. I've used a similar one for myself
    for 10 years and it hasn't failed yet, despite my large size, and frequent backpacks full of
    groceries.

Steve McDonald

4. Rorschandt

Rorschandt Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.