Longest Climb

pat5319

Jan 9, 2002
I once did a 22 mile climb from Imnaha to Joseph Oregon. Imnaha is in the Imnaha River Gorge next to the Snake River's Hells Canyon and is just as spectacular. I'm guessing the grade is less than 10% but steady untill the top, much steeper. I had at least six water bottles and still ran out. Let's hear some other stories!

pat5319 said:
I once did a 22 mile climb from Imnaha to Joseph Oregon. Imnaha is in the Imnaha River Gorge next to the Snake River's Hells Canyon and is just as spectacular. I'm guessing the grade is less than 10% but steady untill the top, much steeper. I had at least six water bottles and still ran out. Let's hear some other stories!

Hi there, 10% is very steep, especially for a climb of that length. If you know the length and elevation gain, you can easily work out the average gradient.

If you view google maps and switch to the terrain view, you might be able to get an estimation of the climbs elevation :)

go ahead, work it out any who want, I said LESS than 10%, it could be closer to 5 or 6% I don't care!!! I've done tougher. I just wanted peopleto talk about what they've DONE

steve said:
Hi there, 10% is very steep, especially for a climb of that length. If you know the length and elevation gain, you can easily work out the average gradient.

If you view google maps and switch to the terrain view, you might be able to get an estimation of the climbs elevation :)

We lived at the base of Mt Wellington (tasmania) for about a year, the climb is about 19km long (from our house) altitude about 1200 meters. Average gradient is about 6%. It was about the only safe road to train on down there, have done the climb well over 100 times :eek:

the only climbs i have around here are freeway overpass' but that in itself is against the law. gotta be real fast and sneaky for those..

I have attached a .png file of a profile for a ride that four buddies and I did in early August, from Templeton, California, over to Cambria, where we enjoyed coffee and pastry, and then back to Templeton. It is not the hardest climb I have ever done, but the climb up from the coast on the return was the longest climb I have done. It was a tremendous and scenic ride with some of my best friends. Memorable.

pat5319 said:
I had at least six water bottles and still ran out.

Wow, you went through 6 or more water bottles in 22 miles? Was it pretty hot that day? Do you have trouble carrying that much water on your bike, or do you have extra racks and stuff?

I don't remember how hot it was it was mid aug so probably pretty warm, and I had support car- sorry for cheating
frenchyge said:
Wow, you went through 6 or more water bottles in 22 miles? Was it pretty hot that day? Do you have trouble carrying that much water on your bike, or do you have extra racks and stuff?

25 miles up Mt. Lemmon. To make it sound dramatic I'll say the average grade was less than 20%. I mean, that is an accurate statement, technically. Would it sound better if I said it was less than 25%?

Reactions: Bob Ross
Here are some photos of the mountain, I have a heap more but can't find them :(

This place makes nice beer, it was a couple of minutes ride from our house - its basically on the climb to the climb.

View attachment 11302

The view from the top looking back over the city and bays.

View attachment 11304

The other perspective, looking back toward the mountain from the docks.

View attachment 11305

That's a nice lookin' place, Steve, and a groovy looking climb. Have you climbed all the Antipodean Mt. Wellingtons, or are Aussies not allowed in NZedland?

alienator said:
That's a nice lookin' place, Steve, and a groovy looking climb. Have you done the Mt. Wellington trifecta for the Antipodes?

No idea what you're talking about sorry :confused:

That place was an OK place to live, I wouldn't move back their though. We're of the opinion its a nice place to holiday but a **** place to live :D

steve said:
Nope, wouldn't mind visiting there one day though :)

I'll tell you what: I've got a best friend in Auckland. His wife is from Wellington. I'll make sure that you and your family can stay at her father's house in Wellington for a vacation, and in return you'll let my friend, his family, me, and my family stay at your house for an indefinite period which will include the World Championships next year. I'll even let you ride my friend's bike.

Newfound Gap road to Clingmans Dome is about 20 miles and 4000' or so of climb. I only take one water bottle and a jacket for the decent. I do lose about 4 lbs of fluid on average. The views are amazing all the way up.It would be an excellent ride if it were closed to cars.

alienator said:
25 miles up Mt. Lemmon. To make it sound dramatic I'll say the average grade was less than 20%. I mean, that is an accurate statement, technically. Would it sound better if I said it was less than 25%?

That's a great climb. I visit Tucson at least once a year and make a point of climbing Mt. Lemmon at least once each trip.

And I bring less than 20 water bottles with me when I do.

Bob Ross said:
That's a great climb. I visit Tucson at least once a year and make a point of climbing Mt. Lemmon at least once each trip.

And I bring less than 20 water bottles with me when I do.

Yeah it is a great climb. The grade isn't severe (except at the very top, and there it's worst right out of Summerhaven on the way back.), but 25 miles of it makes up for it. SOP for me, in late spring, summer, and early fall is to carry 3 water bottles all the time (two on the bike, one in a jersery pocket). Water is lost quickly, even when monsoon season is on.

Next time you come out, you should give climbing Kitt Peak a try. It's an almost constant 7% for 10-12 miles. The best part is the isolation. You'll see, at most, 1-3 cars during the climb, and it's a very twisty climb around the mountain. On the climb you'll see anything from long snakes worth avoiding to mountain lions to eagles. It's best to water up well before leaving, because there's no water until you get to the top. As a bonus, when you reach the top, you'll find 19 telescopes, with one being a giant heliostat. There is water on top and places to void, but don't count on finding food, unless the visitor's center has installed a candy machine. No worries, it's a fun, very fast 10-12 miles downhill, followed by 4-5 miles to a gas station. A word to the wise: drive to the climb. The mountain is a 60 mile gradual uphill miles from Tucson. I've ridden once to the climb, from my house, and it was 66 miles to the start of the climb. Kitt Peak is more favoriter to me than Mt. Lemmon. Climbing Kitt Peak, you'll redefine, for yourself, what silence and solitude are.

I'll complete the missing part of the Oceania Mt Wellington part this week, our Mt Wellington, here in Auckland, is a grunt, for about 100 metres after the cattle stop, then it levels out at about 110m metres ASL. Not quite to the standard of the others, but it will do.

alienator said:
I'll tell you what: I've got a best friend in Auckland. His wife is from Wellington. I'll make sure that you and your family can stay at her father's house in Wellington for a vacation, and in return you'll let my friend, his family, me, and my family stay at your house for an indefinite period which will include the World Championships next year. I'll even let you ride my friend's bike.

I like this idea, can I be part of the deal also? I can offer quality chalet accommodation in a quiet suburban garden complete with wetas and native cockroaches. In return, when I come to stay for the World Champs I'll make sure all my family is house trained.

alienator said:
Climbing Kitt Peak, you'll redefine, for yourself, what silence and solitude are.

I like the sound of that, I should get my A into G and get there and ride that monster. Although I think for me to get solitude I'll need to find a way gag my inner mental voices.

taniwha said:
I'll complete the missing part of the Oceania Mt Wellington part this week, our Mt Wellington, here in Auckland, is a grunt, for about 100 metres after the cattle stop, then it levels out at about 110m metres ASL. Not quite to the standard of the others, but it will do.

Can something be only 110 m tall and still be called a mountain? I'm not sure that's even tall enough to be considered a hill or a slight rise.

I like this idea, can I be part of the deal also? I can offer quality chalet accommodation in a quiet suburban garden complete with wetas and native cockroaches. In return, when I come to stay for the World Champs I'll make sure all my family is house trained.

Sure! I'm almost positive Steve said his doors are open to all comers. The more the merrier. I wouldn't be afraid of house training the wife and young 'uns, 'cuz we'll be bringing our three dogs. It's likely they'll just find it more convenient to **** under the kitchen table or summat.

I like the sound of that, I should get my A into G and get there and ride that monster. Although I think for me to get solitude I'll need to find a way gag my inner mental voices.

Come on over. Our dogs are always looking for a new leg to hump. As for the inner voices, several shots of vodka and a couple Oxycontin work well.

I was hoping that when the organizers of the Tour of California said they were moving the event to later in the year, they'd include some of the monster climbs that California has to offer..,. Instead, they didn't move it far enough into the year to be guarenteed such passes be snow free but f*ck 'em - here's some 'fun' they missed:

Mosquito Flat at 10,250' is the highest paved road in the Sierra Nevada. The climb is 22 miles (35km), average grade is 5%. Maximum grade lower half is 9%, upper half is 11%.

Onion Valley. This might be the most reminiscent of those of the Pyrenees and Alps. The climb to Onion Valley from Independence (the county seat at 3,925') rises to 9,200' (5,275' gain) in 13 miles (20km) averaging 8%.

The climb from the Owens River at 3,900' to the high point before Schulman Grove (the Ancient Bristlecone Pine forest) at 10,100' is a true leg breaker. The climb is 21 miles (34km), average grade 6% (max in the lower half is 14%, max in the upper half 17%). There are dozens of 9-12% rollers in the bottom third. The last 3 miles (5km) averages 10%. There are some small descents along the way allowing for brief breathers. These bring the total climbing to 6,573'.

While the climb from Lone Pine to Whitney Portal is famous, the climb to Horseshoe Meadows is the real thing. Ever notice those awesome, giant switchbacks to the south of the Whitney Portal road? Horseshoe Meadows sits at just below 10,000', over 6,000' above Lone Pine (at 3,700'). The road is about 24.5 miles (39km) long and has about 350' of descending, making the total climb just 2,000m (6560').

One of the grandest views and most spectacular finishes is that from Furnace Creek (in Death Valley) at just below sea level to Dante's View at 5,475'. This climb tempts you into powering up the low grades at the bottom, but punishes you as the gradient sneaks steadily up to 15% for the last half mile. It gains 5,500' in 26.7 miles (42km).

Info taken from the Everest Challenge website.

There's lots of climbs here that'd be more than an equal to what the Tour has too offer but the fecking dolts chose May instead of August/Sept. Typical...