Longest Climb

alienator said:
Climbing Kitt Peak, you'll redefine, for yourself, what silence and solitude are.

That sounds like climbing Ebbetts pass, not to far from Tahoe, in June... I rode that climb as part of the Alta Alpina Challenge and only the 8 pass riders were allowed on it. 250 riders started...

I saw 3 riders, 2 sag motorcyclists and 1 or 2 cars at the most while climbing and descending both sides of the mountain - which must have been ~35 miles.

Awesome... really fecking awesome.

alienator said:
Can something be only 110 m tall and still be called a mountain? I'm not sure that's even tall enough to be considered a hill or a slight rise.

We have lots of mountains here around that height, Mount Roskill, Mout Albert, Mount Eden, Pigeon Mountain, Mangere Mountain. All are challenging in their own right. You just lack the necessary perspective to understand.

It's really a little like comparing natural to silicone.

alienator said:
we'll be bringing our three dogs. It's likely they'll just find it more convenient to **** under the kitchen table or summat.
Perfect! Dog pure is an excellent ingredient for our home tannery. We may even let you tan your own hide.

alienator said:
Come on over. Our dogs are always looking for a new leg to hump. As for the inner voices, several shots of vodka and a couple Oxycontin work well.
Are you happy to share the dogs? Here, we are far more precious.

alienator said:
Next time you come out, you should give climbing Kitt Peak a try. It's an almost constant 7% for 10-12 miles. The best part is the isolation. You'll see, at most, 1-3 cars during the climb, and it's a very twisty climb around the mountain. On the climb you'll see anything from long snakes worth avoiding to mountain lions to eagles.

Well, I tried talking the missus into this ride for our next trip to Tucson, but she got a little freaked out about "long snakes worth avoiding"

Funny thing is, riding around here she doesn't hesitate to take on "stupid limo drivers worth avoiding", not sure what the difference is...

Bob Ross said:
Well, I tried talking the missus into this ride for our next trip to Tucson, but she got a little freaked out about "long snakes worth avoiding"

Funny thing is, riding around here she doesn't hesitate to take on "stupid limo drivers worth avoiding", not sure what the difference is...

She need not worry: snakes can only strike up to a half body length away (a 12ft snake can strike from 6ft away). The sidewinders are pretty fast though, and Kitt Peak is out in sidewinder territory.

The photograph from the top of that climb Steve is absolutely beautifull. I like being ontop of mountains and hills though I find walking gives you time to appreciate things alot more. Thanks very much for showing.
I'm coming to realise who the resident idiots are on this forum it's a shame they always seem to be the ones that have a post for every question isn't it?
The hills I climb on my usual ride are not that long but are quite steep, living not to far from the sea and inbetween where I live and the sea is a line of hills called the Purbecks (in Dorset England) so my ride involves over the hills down the hills up the hills along a nice ridge with lovely views of Corfe Castle leading down into Swanage then back up the hills and down to home again around 24ish miles.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=MSN0...lNDguMTMxMzc0OTE2MzQyOSU3ZS03LjY0ODA2MjY3NTc1

If you click on Aerial to get a photo of the area you can see the horizontal line of hills that I cross and the valley between Corfe Castle and the Kingston gives a steep climb on a winding road up to a ridge down to Swanage. I've been riding this route for a while now and still love it. I live in Wareham (up to the left a bit on the map) and the route is a loop so I don't go back upon myself very much at all. Lovely place to live with views over Poole harbour on the way back.

alienator said:
Next time you come out, you should give climbing Kitt Peak a try. It's an almost constant 7% for 10-12 miles. The best part is the isolation. You'll see, at most, 1-3 cars during the climb, and it's a very twisty climb around the mountain... ...Climbing Kitt Peak, you'll redefine, for yourself, what silence and solitude are.

I would think you'd like Mt. Graham as well. Not much traffic, winding road (and in much better condition than Kitt Peak's) with lots of variation and plenty of scenery.

I remember riding from my house 5mins to downtown Colo Springs then about 25mile climb to the sheriffs office outside Woodland Park, CO on HWY 24... first time I did it I got a serious headache from the altitude gain. Gradient isnt so bad averaging around 5%... but it never ends. Did that ride many times before resigning myself to the more hospitable dirt roads & trails on my mtn. bike, much nicer!

If you're in Taiwan you can try Taipingshan in Ilan county. About 22km of a steady 7%, I've only done it once, on very little water & food! In Taiwan most populated areas have a convenience store every other block! but the final hour or so before arriving at the entrance to Taipingshan there wasnt anything! Had about one bottle left and no food, doh! Luckily a tour group with a case of water was packing up at the top and we got a few bottles to split among the five or six of us. By the time we got to the bottom someone had flagged down a watermelon vendor and bought a nice fat one for us to cut into! ;-) That got us back to civilization in one piece.

LOL.

Lemon is nice to have so close.

alienator said:
25 miles up Mt. Lemmon. To make it sound dramatic I'll say the average grade was less than 20%. I mean, that is an accurate statement, technically. Would it sound better if I said it was less than 25%?

Sthenic said:
I would think you'd like Mt. Graham as well. Not much traffic, winding road (and in much better condition than Kitt Peak's) with lots of variation and plenty of scenery.

The problem is Mt. Graham is a bit further off, and the road up Graham isn't paved all the way. Not that there's anything wrong with climbing a gravel road, but it takes a lot of the fun away on descent.

FWIW, I don't have any issues with the pavement on Kitt Peak. It's good enough to let the bike fly on the descent.

alienator said:
The problem is Mt. Graham is a bit further off, and the road up Graham isn't paved all the way. Not that there's anything wrong with climbing a gravel road, but it takes a lot of the fun away on descent.

FWIW, I don't have any issues with the pavement on Kitt Peak. It's good enough to let the bike fly on the descent.

True, I only get out to Graham once or twice a year and wouldn't even consider riding there from Tucson. When there for the scenery though, I do enjoy it.

Sthenic said:
True, I only get out to Graham once or twice a year and wouldn't even consider riding there from Tucson. When there for the scenery though, I do enjoy it.

One great reason for riding Mt. Graham is to see LBT--Large Binocular Telescope--on top. It is the most powerful terrestrial telescope.

King Schlooge said:
I have attached a .png file of a profile for a ride that four buddies and I did in early August, from Templeton, California, over to Cambria, where we enjoyed coffee and pastry, and then back to Templeton. It is not the hardest climb I have ever done, but the climb up from the coast on the return was the longest climb I have done. It was a tremendous and scenic ride with some of my best friends. Memorable.

Thats where I live :D
I've done that ride several times!
There are a few other tougher climbs locally, not super long 1-3 miles.
Glad you enjoyed your stay!:)

alienator said:
I'll tell you what: I've got a best friend in Auckland. His wife is from Wellington. I'll make sure that you and your family can stay at her father's house in Wellington for a vacation, and in return you'll let my friend, his family, me, and my family stay at your house for an indefinite period which will include the World Championships next year. I'll even let you ride my friend's bike.
Ha! I am sure that there would be a lot of cyclists in Melbourne and in geelong and surrounding areas, who would lend a spare room to keen cyclists from overseas for the world championshiips later this year! I will be taking a few days off work to drive to attend all the races... It should be great!

Just replayed Cadels WC win a couple of nights ago, and still smile at Cadel standing on his pedals all the way up that last climb - We would go absolutely crazy, if he could repeat in front of home town crowd later this year.

I have set up a thread this morning on the on the local Bicycle Victoria Forum looking for interest from fellow cyclists to consider hosting OS visitors Down Under.

Bicycle Victoria Forums • View topic - 2010 World Championships Hospitality

pat5319 said:
I once did a 22 mile climb from Imnaha to Joseph Oregon. Imnaha is in the Imnaha River Gorge next to the Snake River's Hells Canyon and is just as spectacular. I'm guessing the grade is less than 10% but steady untill the top, much steeper. I had at least six water bottles and still ran out. Let's hear some other stories!

I've been on that road in a car and the grades around that area are very steep. Just to point at that and push through it is awesome. There are some 10% grades around the Asotin, WA area so 6% is not unlikely...good job.

Funny, that here in Amarillo, TX we don't have a lot of hills....other than what we call flat hills.:D When the wind is blowing 30 mph we get the same feeling...ha. The longest hill/steepest hill around here is coming out of Palo Duro Canyon...its a 600 foot elevation climb in 1-2 miles....the grade hits 13% but averages between 6-8%....crazy.