Longest Commute ?

ebola

Jul 22, 2003
I was curious...
What's the longest distance anyone commutes regularly by bicycle ?

Originally posted by TeleJohn
Mines 32 miles round trip.
I'm tied with you at 32 miles. How much vertical climb do you have? I'm uphill in the am, downhill in the pm. Not sure what the altitude change is, but I average 13mph in the am, and 18mph in the pm.

Downhill in the am. Uphill in pm. No big hills just bridges over train tracks.
I plan on taking some detours to get some big hills at least once a week if schedule allows.

Mine is almost 12 miles each way, take the back scenic roads for about 4 miles then the rest is more urban. The early morning ride is what hits me the hardest, since I'm not really a work-out "morning guy", I'm in very good shape, but mentally I'm not quite psyched up, regardless after little less than 10' of riding I have to negociate this 7' long, kind of steep hill, to which I'm not quite warmed up yet by the time I get there, specially in these cool mornings, but after that climb I'm really woke up!
But it's fun I love it! I'm more up to beat my own record speeds riding back home, zooooom!
Corsaire ;)

I have 3 different routes that I chose from depending on how I feel or what the weather is like. 11 miles if I take the most direct route. 18 if I use the local bike path. 28 for those days when I'm just not ready to go home. I always take the direct 5.5m route on the way to work as I leave at 5:30am and then chose my route home at 4pm.

10 miles each way for me. lots of choices to go. in the morning the routes don't have anything more then a 2 block uphill. the bike path is pretty short but the first part is washboardy and on a racing bike it is rough plus several streets cross it. then you exit into a gravel drive and go a couple of miles to the next path that is new and nice and smooth.
home I have several routes. no big hills but I can choose between easy and somewhat hard. I would like to work harder in the morning and usualy a bit less when going home but it is the oppisite. I can take a light downhill route with just a slight slope so I can get to 20mph or so or a ltitle up and lots of down.

38 miles round trip. But I only do it in the summer. (Too dark at night otherwise, and I won't ride at night here in Atlanta.)

7.8 miles or 12.5 kilometers each way.

fastest avg out was 30.23 km/h fastest back was 27.4 km/h

this is over some pretty hilly terrain though the hills arent long

i averaged 39 km/h till the first hill the other day, woohoo.

Originally posted by ebola
I was curious...
What's the longest distance anyone commutes regularly by bicycle ?
I commute 36 miles round trip to work every day all year long.
I sometimes use car pools and public transit during heavy rain or wet snow.

Depending on the route I take, my commute can take either 20, 24, 30, 36 or 40km each way. The longer routes include the Kew Boulevarde, which is a popular spot amongst roadies here for getting in some hill work.

Normally I take the 24km route each way (48km/30mi round trip), though in the summertime when the weather is nice and I'm in decent cycling shape, I take the 36km route in and the 40km home (76km/47mi round trip.) I do this on a road bike, and my average speed is usually 27-29km/h.

Commuting by bike is a great way to rack up the kilometres! :D

50 km (31 mile) round trip for me, also every day.

People seem quite amazed when they find out you ride your bike as far as they drive their car in a year (~ 12000 kms +/- a few).

Used to do 30 miles one way on the way to work- had a ride home in the evening. Often I couldn't bring my bike so I had to buy another one so I could ride the next day! On the weekends work started later so we'd take the long way along the coast and up through a nice park. Great way to start the day huh?

Tim

I commute from Pacifica into San Francisco 3-4 times each week. It is 20 miles each way, headwinds each way and uphill each way.

***** in Pacifica

I don't do it as often as I'd like, but mine's 21 miles each way, with a few pretty good sized hills, only a few miles with bad traffic (even less now that I figured out how to use the Blue Ridge Parkway for a couple of miles and avoid a major 4-lane highway).

mike

36 miles round trip, 2-3 days a week. In the summer I may take a route home that puts me over 50 miles for the day.

I commute 43 miles one way. I have a system worked out so that I drive to work, with bike and clothes/food for next day, ride home, then ride back in morning and drive home. This way I do not need to take anything with me, and I am only riding once per day. Fridays are my days off, but I still end up getting plenty of miles through the week. I do cheat sometimes if really bad rain or below freezing weather is certain by catching a ride in with co-workers or just bagging it and driving, but it works well considering the distance.

My current commute is about 15 miles round trip.
I did have a 40 mile (one way) commute to a consultant site last summer. However, the total roundtrip commute only ended up being 60 miles. (I made it out there in the morning. But, in the afternoon, at first I was out was too tired, and by the time I got enough energy, my bike ran in to problems.) Luckily there were buses and trains to through the bike on for the last 20 miles.
The bike commute still ended up about as fast as the full-transit commute. (And I'm guessing it would not have taken much longer than a driving commute.)

[I only ride 12 miles round trip, but I do leave the house at 3:00am to be to work by 3:30.