Longest commuter cycle ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian Teelan, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Ian Teelan

    Ian Teelan Guest

    Hello folks,

    Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    Regards,

    Ian T.

    Tags:

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    A colleague I know used to do 100 miles round trip. "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ian T.

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    There was someone on the news some time ago who took the scenic route from Brockenhurst (New Forest)
    to Portsmouth via the Isle of Wight. This was on bike/train/ferry so I don't know if it counts.

    Simonb

  4. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A colleague I know used to do 100 miles round trip.

    What every day? I find even 25 miles round trip is close to my limit, persistant numbness etc after
    a few months.

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ian T.

    I used to do Wolverhampton to Rotherham, via Birmingham and Sheffield for 6 months when I lost my
    licence (found it again after 6 months, which was handy). This took 6 hours round trip, every day
    and, to be honest, I only rode from home to station (approx 4 miles), then station to work (approx 4
    miles) and back again at the end of the day. So 16 miles on the bike and a hell of a lot more on the
    train, so guess that doesn't count either ;-) Wouldn't really want to be doing much more than 10
    miles each way on a daily basis if I was going to/from the same place of work each day. Dave.

  6. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Ian Teelan wrote:
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    Its not necessarily the longest, but many years ago I did Maze Hill (Greenwich) to Shepherds Bush
    for a while. I think its about 13 miles of London streets each way. A shower was an absolute
    requirement.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  7. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    A geezer I worked with many moons ago (called Ian too, funnily enough) used to do a 64 mile
    round trip.

    On the days that he worked from home, he'd ride halfway to work and then head back to his
    house, to keep his hand in. Said a couple of days completely off the bike was a killer when he
    started up again.

    ---

  8. "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    It would be quite interesting if there were some statistics on this. I think it is generally assumed
    wisdom that most cycle commutes don't exceed 5 miles or so, but there would still be a fair few
    commutes of longer than this, and a small minority that are very much more so. My own daily commute
    is about 11.5 miles each way, a colleague at work has a 9 mile commute. I think these are probably
    above average, but certainly nowhere near the longest anyone does. It's not particularly far.

    Rich

  9. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I used to do 9 miles round trip

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello folks,
    > >
    > > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came
    up.
    > > What is the longest regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
    > >

    > It would be quite interesting if there were some statistics on this. I think it is generally
    > assumed wisdom that most cycle commutes don't exceed
    5
    > miles or so, but there would still be a fair few commutes of longer than this, and a small
    > minority that are very much more so. My own daily
    commute
    > is about 11.5 miles each way, a colleague at work has a 9 mile commute. I think these are probably
    > above average, but certainly nowhere near the longest anyone does. It's not particularly far.
    >
    > Rich

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Ian Teelan <[email protected]> typed:
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    I used to do just under 30 mile round trip.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  11. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    I do 50 miles every day - except yesterday turned into 73 miles because I had to visit punters the
    other side of Manchester in the middle of the day and other punters who were kind of sort of on the
    way home ! Still it was a nice day

    Regards Simon

  12. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > I do 50 miles every day - except yesterday turned into 73 miles because I had to visit punters the
    > other side of Manchester in the middle of the day and other punters who were kind of sort of on
    > the way home ! Still it was a nice day

    60 mile round trip once a week at the mo.

    Mark

  13. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Hello folks,
    >>
    >> Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    >> regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
    >>

    > It would be quite interesting if there were some statistics on this. I think it is generally
    > assumed wisdom that most cycle commutes don't exceed 5 miles or so, but there would still be a
    > fair few commutes of longer than this, and a small minority that are very much more so. My own
    > daily commute is about 11.5 miles each way, a colleague at work has a 9 mile commute. I think
    > these are probably above average, but certainly nowhere near the longest anyone does. It's not
    > particularly far.

    I was pondering this the other day when the possibility of a new job raised its head. I currently do
    about 9 miles each way. The new job would have been about 15 miles each way. I thought I could just
    about manage that, but it would be my limit.

    Toby

    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  14. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    I do 44 miles round trip, Rotherhithe to Uxbridge, so 24 of that is through central London. Usually do it 3 or 4 times a week, and find it takes about the same time as taking the tube (1hr 20 mins each way)

    Bryan

  15. "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
    >
    > There was someone on the news some time ago who took the scenic route from Brockenhurst (New
    > Forest) to Portsmouth via the Isle of Wight. This was on bike/train/ferry so I don't know if
    > it counts.

    I remember reading about that - it's one of the professors at either Southampton or Portsmouth
    universities. Don't think he used the train, though - he switched to a bike/ferry commute via the
    island as it was easier and cheaper than South West Trains.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  16. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ian T.

    9 miles each way for me - Ealing to Central London. Some days I just don't think I can take it any
    more but it's not that far really - get my head down, radio on and pedal! 9 miles seems to be close
    to some sort of average from comments here. I would like to run it, rollerblade it and electric
    scooter it someday!

  17. Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ian Teelan wrote:
    > > Hello folks,
    > >
    > > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
    >
    > Its not necessarily the longest, but many years ago I did Maze Hill (Greenwich) to Shepherds Bush
    > for a while. I think its about 13 miles of London streets each way. A shower was an absolute
    > requirement.

    Wouldn't claim to be a champion commuter, but at this time of year I do a round trip of 24 to 48
    miles, depending on the weather and if I am doing a club time trial or training in the evening.

    In the depths of winter it is a 12 mile round trip.

    Robert

  18. John B

    John B Guest

    Robert Saunders wrote:

    > Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Ian Teelan wrote:
    > > > Hello folks,
    > > >
    > > > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > > > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    Presently my commute is 150 yards from home to the local primary school. Monday I went on the
    Brommie, Tuesday the Roberts, today the Bike Friday, tomorrow the Trice.

    When I get there I take five little cyclists for their off-road training around the playground.

    John B

  19. "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    For the last few years I've commuted 15 mile round trip daily. I'd not want to do much more than
    that, 5 days a week, 12 months of the year.

    The Biker at the gates of dawn

  20. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
    > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

    I do a 24 mile round trip at either 0545 out and1445 return or 1245 out and 2145 return.