Longest commuter cycle ride

"Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I think the nature of the journey is just as important as actual length as far as
> enjoyment/bearability is concerned. I used to prefer my old 15 mile daily round trip to my present
> one which is only about half that because it was mostly on a single little used cyclepath. The one
> I do now goes through the city centre and is very stop start and very busy.

Just to show how it's 'horses for couses', I actualy enjoy the cut and thrust of the city centre
part of my rush hour commute. After several years day in day out of the same route, I'm begining to
find the quieter bits a little boring.

The biker at the gates of dawn

Have to say no to that one, haven't had a free paper in years through the letterbox.

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thus spake "Bob" <[email protected]>
>

> > 11 miles each way every day, Canons Park to St James's Park.
>
> > Funny thing is I was stopped at the traffic lights in Burnt Oak
yesterday ,
> > with about 1.5 miles left to go when a motorbike pulled up beside me,
'Ere
> > mate, you were going some!' 'Eh?' I said having just done the nearly
last
> > hill of the journey. 'I saw you down in in Park Lane and you got here
before
> > me!' Just goes to show not all two wheelers are equal!
>
> Well done that man!
>
> Have you read the latest (26 June) Harrow Times? I get it stuffed through my door free.
>
> There is big cycle-bashing editorial and my friend has long letter defending cyclists in it.
>
> --
> Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

On 26 Jun 2003 14:58:43 +0100 (BST) someone who may be [email protected] (Alan Braggins)
wrote this:-

>On the other hand a friend of mine did convince his wife that a ten mile commute each way really
>justified buying a brand new Windcheetah, and that might make a difference :)

Clever man. I hope he let her ride it from time to time.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:35:57 +0100, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

>>On the other hand a friend of mine did convince his wife that a ten mile commute each way really
>>justified buying a brand new Windcheetah,

>Clever man. I hope he let her ride it from time to time.

There may be a scale system in operation here - I was allowed an Optima Stinger for 7.5 miles each
way, you get a Speedy for ten miles, so if I were to commute 15 miles each way maybe I'd be
allowed a Leitra?

Guy
===

Gosh reading some of these comments kinda scares me! I was planning a commute of 20 miles each way a few times a week. But stories of soreness and tiredness are a bit off putting. Is there a critical limit for a commute?

Caher wrote:

> Gosh reading some of these comments kinda scares me! I was planning a commute of 20 miles each way
> a few times a week. But stories of soreness and tiredness are a bit off putting. Is there a
> critical limit for a commute?

I am of the opinion that the limiting factor is boredom, which sets in at about an hour, regardless
of the actual distance covered.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Caher <[email protected]> wrote:
: Gosh reading some of these comments kinda scares me! I was planning a commute of 20 miles each way
: a few times a week. But stories of soreness and tiredness are a bit off putting. Is there a
: critical limit for a commute?

Suck it and see. A few times a week should be ok. "Few" is a movable feast - if you are getting
tired, do it less.

Soreness is something that you shouldn't be getting regardless. If you are getting sore then sort
out your bike's fit.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune [email protected]

At home and on the phone.....

"Caher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Gosh reading some of these comments kinda scares me! I was planning a commute of 20 miles each way
> a few times a week. But stories of soreness and tiredness are a bit off putting. Is there a
> critical limit for a commute?

There probably is, but it's personal and subjective more than it is objective. For me, the main
limiting factor, I think, would be time. I like to have some time left of my day on top of what it
takes to get to and from work & being there. So I think my limit would be however far I could get in
about 60 - 90 minutes - really, for any mode of commuting.

I, like many others here, commute over 10 miles each way every day and don't really find either
soreness or tiredness an issue - although it certainly gives you an appetite.

Rich

"Mike Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
> > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
>
> 13.5 miles from Ferry Toll Park and Ride in Inverkeithing to Leith and back, three times a week.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

I used to do Rosyth to Leith. 15 miles each way... A8000 is a bit of a bore but you get satisfaction
zipping past all the queued up cars on the way to edinburgh but on the way back it can be a bit
intimidating even for an experienced cyclists as they can get VERY close at High speeds. Used to do
this 5 times a week for 4 months. Now I have a new job, I have to use my car... my belly is bigger
and I am missing the cycle and getting frustrated in the queues. ...

Mike if you want to go for a cycle anytime let me know...

On 30 Jun 2003 20:00:28 +0950, Caher <[email protected]> wrote:

>Gosh reading some of these comments kinda scares me! I was planning a commute of 20 miles each way
>a few times a week. But stories of soreness and tiredness are a bit off putting. Is there a
>critical limit for a commute?

20 miles each way will be fine once you get used to it. It's the upper end of a comfortable
commuting distance.

--
Dave...

Gavin Will wrote:
> "Mike Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
>>> regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

18 miles a day Lenzie to the West End of Glasgow, as many days as I can. Most of the journey is on
the Forth & Clyde towpath - usually very pleasant.

It's amazing how much the traffic has reduced since the schools went on hols - I didn't know that
many school children drove.

Kennedy

Ian Teelan <[email protected]> wrote
> Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
> regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

In our club: Steve lasted 8 months daily commute Gloucester to Solihull (50-60m each way) for about
8 months before it tailed off to internittent and he then moved closer to work. Vernon commutes
daily Mitcheldean to Cheltenham (ca 25m each way) (not sure of route in either case)

I did 30m each way on a course for a week once - took longer than I'd want to do long-term.

Andrew

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:57:34 +0100, contributor Ian Teelan had scribed:
> Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
> regular cycle commute that this group knows of?

A little late, been away and behind on newsgroup reading anyway.

During the one day train strikes of 1990 (every Wednesday over a few weeks in June/July), when rail
fragmentation and bus substitution was almost unheard of, I had cycled from home in York to work in
Harrogate (a round trip of 46 miles). Normally, I cycled to the station, left the bike there, took
the train, cycled on another from Harrogate to out of town workplace and vv, total cycling distance
of 7 miles. Two bikes due to BR bike bans on two particular trains (the same two I travelled) on
the route.

Mind you those 46 miles didn't half help in gaining fitness for that year's DATC (a CTC competition
of doing as many different types of events as possible, won't bore with categories but one type
involves variable number of points which is where the difference in the result really takes place)
(I came 10th).

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Thus spake Gary Knighton <[email protected]>

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:57:34 +0100, contributor Ian Teelan had scribed:
> > Talking to a few mates today and the question of cycle commuting came up. What is the longest
> > regular cycle commute that this group knows of?
> >

> A little late, been away and behind on newsgroup reading anyway.

> During the one day train strikes of 1990 (every Wednesday over a few weeks in June/July), when
> rail fragmentation and bus substitution was almost unheard of, I had cycled from home in York to
> work in Harrogate (a round trip of 46 miles). Normally, I cycled to the station, left the bike
> there, took the train, cycled on another from Harrogate to out of town workplace and vv, total
> cycling distance of 7 miles. Two bikes due to BR bike bans on two particular trains (the same two
> I travelled) on the route.

> Mind you those 46 miles didn't half help in gaining fitness for that year's DATC (a CTC
> competition of doing as many different types of events as possible, won't bore with categories but
> one type involves variable number of points which is where the difference in the result really
> takes place) (I came 10th).

I hadn't really heard of the DATC in 1990 but won the Ladies' Cup in 1995.

Commuting from Golders Green to Hillingdon helped...

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:30:45 +0100, contributor Helen Deborah Vecht had scribed:
> I hadn't really heard of the DATC in 1990 but won the Ladies' Cup in 1995.

So you said at York Rally. Christine Johnson of York won the Ladies' Cup in 1990, it was also the
first year that Kim Suffolk won the DATC. He appeared to have turned up everywhere, especially
competition category events. Mind you I did most of my events in Lincolnshire, other away events
were the BCTC events and HERDA's 400km, which was nearer 430, IIRC.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Hi all. I'm here in Kansas City, Missouri, US. Starting monday I'll be doing 26 mi. roundtrip. I've ridden it on the weekends but after today's "ozone alert" I'm just tired of taking the bus and or driving. I work at a university. We've got a gym and I'll take a shower there. I'm thinking of taking the bus in once a week to drop off my business clothes and pick up the old ones. Is that what you all do?

In solidarity

Jeo

I do a 24 mile roundtrip (sometimes increasing distance by riding long way in or home if I have time
/ need miles) 2-4 times a week - I just stick all my clothes in a rucksack along with lunch etc -
when I've trousers, shirt, lunch, phone etc. etc. on board, the added weight on the hills gives some
good training (sometimes referred to as 'hypergravity'?) - however I don't wear a suit at work,
which is just as well as clothes sometimes come out a bit creased / damp if I don't wrap in a
carrier bag correctly

Good luck with your commute

Richard