Longest indoor ride

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by grahamspringett, May 1, 2007.

1. grahamspringett

grahamspringett New Member

What's your longest ever indoor ride? I have only managed 90 minutes, done while watching American Flyers on TV.

Be honest now, and let us know what you did to amuse/distract yourself.

Tags:

2. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

2 solid hours listening to trance and 60/70s music on my mp3 player and also amused myself by comparing the everchanging delighful rear ends of the maidens on the row of trainers in front of me.[​IMG]

However did stop for a [​IMG]after 1 hour. TYSON

3. flipper

flipper New Member

2hrs. Watched the '97 TdF highlights.

4. gplama

gplama Well-Known Member

2hrs - Spinervals 9.0 session. I've done a few of them, a total killer workout... ending with sprints! I've got my eye on Spinervals 26.0, a 5 HOUR session. I'm waiting for winter to truly kick in here before I get that crazy :)

lama

5. wiredued

wiredued New Member

About 3.5 hours on indoor recumbent watched American Flyers and Breaking Away.

6. AshesGlory

AshesGlory New Member

Mine is a modest 90 minutes but I know a guy who celebrated his 42nd birthday last year by riding 420 miles on his trainer with pauses for a few minutes every couple of hours to take care of biological functions. It took him around 20 hrs. The same chap has done RAAM and guided clients to the summit of Everest so he is used to pain.

7. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

3hrs and 45 minutes.

turned my brain off.

ric

8. gogoturtle

gogoturtle New Member

I've done upwards of 3.5-4 hours a few times. I regularily do 2.5 hours.

To keep from going totally insane, I switch between Ipod, and DVR recordings. I also use a Tacx fortius and the real life videos, which helps a lot.

9. meandmybike

meandmybike New Member

3 hours. Once. And once only. I bought a pair of Shimano MTB winter boots the same day and, whilst I can't claim to love riding in the rain, I just need to cast my mind back to those 3 hours to get my ass out the door whatever the weather. :eek:

10. Piotr

Piotr New Member

I'm no hero, but... 3.5 hrs that included 2.5 hrs of non-stop L3. :cool: I wanted to see if it was doable. I normally don't listen to music while training, but on that day I had to. :eek:

11. MY02_STi

MY02_STi New Member

A modest 2.5 hours :eek: using a combo of DVDs and iPod

12. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

A internationally known triathlete here in New Zealand thought he'd like to see how long he could go on a trainer with no stimulation - he did over 8 hours in the dark with no TV, music, radio etc.

Why? :confused:

13. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Me - about 1;45 mins. Listening to the radio and or CD/tapes.

I got a box of about 30 music tapes yesterday from a national auction site guy so I've got some more music to listen to while in the cold garage riding my rollers this winter - I can almost hardly wait...yep I can wait...must rather be out on the road:)

14. nosduh

nosduh New Member

3 hours. Watching tv. Indoor riding sucks compared to outdoor. Feel like I am ADHD.

15. meandmybike

meandmybike New Member

When Radiohead's 'Kid A' album came out, myself and the guy I shared an office with decided we'd play it non-stop as an experiment to see how it affected us. Two days later, long after people had stopped dropping into the office for a chat or to discuss urgent work matters, he called in sick. I lasted another 5 hours of the 3rd day.

I recently dusted off 'Kid A' and stuck in on my iPod to listen to on the turbo trainer. There's a minimum 5% power increase when doing L4 intervals listening to this music. Certain songs send me involuntarily into L5. (Johnny Cash is only good for long L3 rides. Thankfully the nights are getting longer and I can get out on the road after work for the next 3 or 4 months.)

I suspect Lance was an avid Leonard Cohen fan during his Tour wins.

16. carpediemracing

carpediemracing New Member

Sounds like Lon Haldeman (won RAAM more than once on milk and pizzas) who rode rollers (I think?) in his dark basement to prepare for the long nights of RAAM. Not sure about lack of music.

I've gone a few times over 3 hours, usually a combination of a movie to start, then when I'm still hyper after 2 hours, racing tapes/DVD's with volume low and music with volume high. Yes I do stop to use the restroom, refill bottles, and I use up my soon-to-expire various gels or drinks. A really powerful fan is key. Also some kind of monitoring device (cadence or heartrate or power) make things more interesting.

cdr

17. Scarantino

Scarantino New Member

I've done 2 hours twice, and that was my limit. I almost lost my mind. I hate trainers.

18. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

I don't want to make anybody sick, but last year I went for just over 6 hours on the fluid trainer. There were a few of us and we were doing an indoor century. Computrainer or rollers are definitely a better way to go when aiming for mileage. Anybody know of a support group for this?

19. BikingBrian

BikingBrian New Member

Did 5 hours once, watching a Tour video. Never again! I hate trainers....that ride was all the impetus I needed to get a pair of spike tires and a face mask so that I could ride outside on the frozen roads in winter here.
    Thank god it's spring :D

20. K50

K50 New Member

3 hours. It was definitely not fun. I seem much more sensitive to fatigue on the stationary bike, probably because of the fact I have less to focus on...

I watched the hot girls on the eliptical...alot go through the gym in 3 hours...and of course my ipod music, and some videos. My arsenal against insanity this winter consisted of: 99 TdF, a dirt bike video, a dirt bike race, a moto GP race where Nicky Hayden gets owned by his teammate, some rally racing, Pikes Peak Hill climb, season 4 Family Guy and some really heavy ass music videos. "ISA" and "The Knell and the World". Great stuff. I have to say though the TdF was the best. Family Guy was too distracting. I wanted to laugh more than I wanted to work.