Longest ride ever

MSA

Guest
And I'm still recovering!

Took part in the London to Oxford charity bike ride yesterday. It
started on Richmond Green and ended in Oxford (believe it or not!). I
rode to the start from my home in Essex and then joined the others on
the way to Oxford. At Oxford I took on some food and started my journey
back. I felt fine for the first 60 miles of the return journey but then
my shoulders, neck and wrists started to ache. I stopped for a 10
minute break at a service station taking on some more food and drink and
then continued feeling much better. I started to feel low again when I
got to Picadilly Circus but by then I knew I would be home in just over
the hour.

Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

Just need to recover enough for tomorrow evenings Time
Trial...argghhhhh!

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling

MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
> night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

Well done! How long did it take you overall? "175 miles" and "bike" don't
equate to me!

says...

> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> .
> >
> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
> > night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

> Chuffin ell
>
> well done

Oh and just in case your reading...Hi to the guy with the Dawes Galaxy
who jumped on my back wheel for 20 odd miles approaching the Heathrow
area! I know you said you have never ridden so fast for so long and
apologised for not been able to take a turn on the front...but trust me,
it was my pleasure. Sorry I didn't have more than a chunk of chocolate
brownie to offer you at that set of lights :)

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling
of contents may have occurred during transmission

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
> > night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

> Well done! How long did it take you overall? "175 miles" and "bike" don't
> equate to me!

Average speed was 17.9mph which equates to a riding time of about 10
hours. I left the house at 7.30am and got home at 7.45pm. 1/2 hour
food stop at Oxford, 3 or 4 other stops to top up with food and water
and 3 stops for my pals punctures! We couldn't understand why he was
puncturing and then realised on fix number 3 that his Velox rim tape had
slipped up the side of the rim exposing the eyelets on his
Spinergys...weird, never seen that before.

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling
of contents may have occurred during transmission

MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well
>> > last night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

>> Well done! How long did it take you overall? "175 miles" and "bike"
>> don't equate to me!
>>

> Average speed was 17.9mph which equates to a riding time of about 10
> hours.

?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm chuffed if I can get that avg speed on the 3.5-mile ride to work!

MSA:
> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.

Woo! Nice one. How long did it take?

d.

MSA wrote:

> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
> night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!
>
> Just need to recover enough for tomorrow evenings Time
> Trial...argghhhhh!

Damn! Nice going - I am humbled....

--
Chris

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> MSA:
> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.

> Woo! Nice one. How long did it take?
>
> d.

Cheers D, see previous reply to Iain re time. To summarise, I would
just say 'too' long :)

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling
of contents may have occurred during transmission

in message <[email protected]>, MSA
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well
>> > last night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

>> Well done! How long did it take you overall? "175 miles" and "bike"
>> don't equate to me!

> Average speed was 17.9mph which equates to a riding time of about 10
> hours. I left the house at 7.30am and got home at 7.45pm.

Wow! I actually find that more scarey than the mere fact of 175 miles in
a day. I've never done more than 110 in a day and bonked very badly on
that occasion, but my 110 took nine hours. I think I probably could do
the 110 again (although it's 32 years since I did it) but I know I
couldn't sustain 17.9mph for three hours, let alone ten.

;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.

MSA wrote:

> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.

Blimey, that's almost exactly twice as long as my longest ever, and at
about 120% of my av speed.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>,
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:

>> Average speed was 17.9mph which equates to a riding time of about 10
>> hours. I left the house at 7.30am and got home at 7.45pm.

> Wow! I actually find that more scarey than the mere fact of 175 miles in
> a day.

What impresses me about Mark's distance is the sheer amount of it that
must have been on heavy-duty urban roads, with the implication of lots
of junctions, trafficlights, and stop-go conditions.

--
Nick Kew

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:24:17 +0100, MSA <[email protected]> ()
wrote:

>Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
>night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

Fsckin' stone me...

Respect is definitely due.
I haven't even done 175 kilometres in a day. :-(

More power to you!

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

Pete Biggs wrote:

> MSA wrote:
>
> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.

> Blimey, that's almost exactly twice as long as my longest ever, and at
> about 120% of my av speed.

Its exactly half my longest day's ride, which was also ridden on a trike.

John B

Iain Jones:
> I'm chuffed if I can get that avg speed on the 3.5-mile ride to work!

I managed to achieve exactly the same average over 10 miles yesterday, but
that was pushing really hard all the way, and with a tailwind for the last
few miles. To do that kind of average over 175 miles is really going it
some.

d.

Msa wrote:
> And I'm still recovering!
> Took part in the London to Oxford charity bike ride yesterday. It
> started on Richmond Green and ended in Oxford (believe it or not!). I
> the way to Oxford. At Oxford I took on some food and started my journey
> back. I felt fine for the first 60 miles of the return journey but then
> my shoulders, neck and wrists started to ache. I stopped for a 10
> minute break at a service station taking on some more food and drink
> and then continued feeling much better. I started to feel low again
> when I got to Picadilly Circus but by then I knew I would be home in
> just over the hour.
> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
> night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!
> Just need to recover enough for tomorrow evenings Time
> Trial...argghhhhh!
> --
> Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume.
> Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission

Excellent ride and quite a high average, you must've been riding at 23-
24mph when you were going.

My current max is London to Rugby (100 miles) but I only averaged
around 14.

Dan

--

JohnB <[email protected]>typed

> Pete Biggs wrote:
> >
> > MSA wrote:
> >
> > > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.

> > Blimey, that's almost exactly twice as long as my longest ever, and at
> > about 120% of my av speed.

> Its exactly half my longest day's ride, which was also ridden on a trike.

I don't go in for w****e waving cos I'm disabled in that respect.
I'll not forget crossing the Severn Bridge after a piffling 300km Audax.
It was Saturday night and some oiks asked me how far I'd cycled that
day.
"About 200 miles" was my reply...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

>Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
>night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

Pretty damn amazing, and how much did you raise for charity? Oh yeah
and what bike and spec is it if you don't mind me asking?

In article <[email protected]>, martin.w6
@ukonline.co.uk says...

> >Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept quite well last
> >night...but still managed to be in the office for 7am!

> Pretty damn amazing, and how much did you raise for charity? Oh yeah
> and what bike and spec is it if you don't mind me asking?

I did not raise any money for this charity, just paid the entry fee
which helps to cover costs. I also do the London to Southend (and
back), the Wessex 100 (that's a circular route) and the London to
Cambridge (and back). I collect sponsorship for 2 of the charity routes
because I do not have enough friends (c'mon you know what I mean!) to
cover all of them (I don't ask twice). I also participate in other
charity stuff which adds to the difficulty. Guess this paragraph may
raise some opinions, but it works for me.

Thanks to everyone for the 'well done's", I really appreciate it, but
please note that I did suffer, it wasn't a walk in the park! I feel 90%
back to normal now, but I have a TT in less than 2 hours which will
probably take me back to square one! I will probably ride light
Thursday and Saturday, this Sunday sees the London to Southend.

Bike is an '03 Ti Vortex, Campagnolo Record throughout except for
seatpost which is a carbon USE Alien, and Cranks which are FSA carbon.
I used my training wheels on this ride which are Record hubs, Mavic Open
Pro rims, shed with Gommitalia rubber.

Interesting to read what another London to Oxford riders carried with
them, I went down the minimalistic route!...1 tube, 1 compressed air, 2
tyre levers, 1 mobile phone, a credit card and 20 quid!