Longest ride ever

Msa

Guest
And I'm still recovering!

Took part in the London to Oxford charity bike ride
yesterday. It started on Richmond Green and ended in Oxford
(believe it or not!). I

the way to Oxford. At Oxford I took on some food and started
my journey back. I felt fine for the first 60 miles of the
return journey but then my shoulders, neck and wrists
started to ache. I stopped for a 10 minute break at a
service station taking on some more food and drink and then
continued feeling much better. I started to feel low again
when I got to Picadilly Circus but by then I knew I would be
home in just over the hour.

Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
office for 7am!

Just need to recover enough for tomorrow evenings Time
Trial...argghhhhh!

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during

MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
> quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
> office for 7am!

Well done! How long did it take you overall? "175 miles" and
"bike" don't equate to me!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... .
> >
> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
> > quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
> > office for 7am!
>
> Chuffin ell
>
> well done

Oh and just in case your reading...Hi to the guy with the
Dawes Galaxy who jumped on my back wheel for 20 odd miles
approaching the Heathrow area! I know you said you have
never ridden so fast for so long and apologised for not been
able to take a turn on the front...but trust me, it was my
pleasure. Sorry I didn't have more than a chunk of chocolate
brownie to offer you at that set of lights :)

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during
transmission

MSA:
> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.

Woo! Nice one. How long did it take?

d.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
> > quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
> > office for 7am!
>

> Well done! How long did it take you overall? "175 miles"
> and "bike" don't equate to me!

Average speed was 17.9mph which equates to a riding time of
about 10 hours. I left the house at 7.30am and got home at
7.45pm. 1/2 hour food stop at Oxford, 3 or 4 other stops to
top up with food and water and 3 stops for my pals
punctures! We couldn't understand why he was puncturing and
then realised on fix number 3 that his Velox rim tape had
slipped up the side of the rim exposing the eyelets on his
Spinergys...weird, never seen that before.

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during
transmission

MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
>> > quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
>> > office for 7am!
>>

>> Well done! How long did it take you overall? "175 miles"
>> and "bike" don't equate to me!
>>

> Average speed was 17.9mph which equates to a riding time
> of about 10 hours.

?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm chuffed if I can get that avg speed on the 3.5-mile
ride to work!

MSA wrote:

> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
> quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
> office for 7am!
>
> Just need to recover enough for tomorrow evenings Time
> Trial...argghhhhh!

Damn! Nice going - I am humbled....

--
Chris

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> MSA:
> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.
>
> Woo! Nice one. How long did it take?
>
> d.

Cheers D, see previous reply to Iain re time. To summarise,
I would just say 'too' long :)

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during
transmission

in message <[email protected]>, MSA
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
>> > quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
>> > office for 7am!
>>
>> Well done! How long did it take you overall? "175 miles"
>> and "bike" don't equate to me!
>
> Average speed was 17.9mph which equates to a riding time
> of about 10 hours. I left the house at 7.30am and got home
> at 7.45pm.

Wow! I actually find that more scarey than the mere fact of
175 miles in a day. I've never done more than 110 in a day
and bonked very badly on that occasion, but my 110 took nine
hours. I think I probably could do the 110 again (although
it's 32 years since I did it) but I know I couldn't sustain
17.9mph for three hours, let alone ten.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.

MSA wrote:

> Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.

Blimey, that's almost exactly twice as long as my longest
ever, and at about 120% of my av speed.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> MSA wrote:
>
> > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.
>
> Blimey, that's almost exactly twice as long as my longest
> ever, and at about 120% of my av speed.

Its exactly half my longest day's ride, which was also
ridden on a trike.

John B

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:24:17 +0100, MSA <[email protected]> ()
wrote:

>Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
>quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
>office for 7am!

Fsckin' stone me...

Respect is definitely due. I haven't even done 175
kilometres in a day. :-(

More power to you!

--
Matt K Waikikamukau,NZ

Iain Jones:
> I'm chuffed if I can get that avg speed on the 3.5-mile
> ride to work!

I managed to achieve exactly the same average over 10 miles
yesterday, but that was pushing really hard all the way, and
with a tailwind for the last few miles. To do that kind of
average over 175 miles is really going it some.

d.

Originally posted by Msa
[...]

Excellent ride and quite a high average, you must've been riding at 23-24mph when you were going.

My current max is London to Rugby (100 miles) but I only averaged around 14.

Dan

In article <[email protected]>,
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:

>> Average speed was 17.9mph which equates to a riding time
>> of about 10 hours. I left the house at 7.30am and got
>> home at 7.45pm.
>
> Wow! I actually find that more scarey than the mere fact
> of 175 miles in a day.

What impresses me about Mark's distance is the sheer amount
of it that must have been on heavy-duty urban roads, with
the implication of lots of junctions, trafficlights, and stop-
go conditions.

--
Nick Kew

JohnB <[email protected]>typed

> Pete Biggs wrote:
> >
> > MSA wrote:
> >
> > > Total distance yesterday was 175 miles.
> >
> > Blimey, that's almost exactly twice as long as my
> > longest ever, and at about 120% of my av speed.

> Its exactly half my longest day's ride, which was also
> ridden on a trike.

I don't go in for w****e waving cos I'm disabled in that
respect. I'll not forget crossing the Severn Bridge after a
piffling 300km Audax. It was Saturday night and some oiks
asked me how far I'd cycled that day. "About 200 miles" was
my reply...

>Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
>quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
>office for 7am!

Pretty damn amazing, and how much did you raise for
charity? Oh yeah and what bike and spec is it if you don't
mind me asking?

In article <[email protected]>,
martin.w6 @ukonline.co.uk says...

> >Total distance yesterday was 175 miles. Oh, and I slept
> >quite well last night...but still managed to be in the
> >office for 7am!
>
> Pretty damn amazing, and how much did you raise for
> charity? Oh yeah and what bike and spec is it if you don't
> mind me asking?

I did not raise any money for this charity, just paid the
entry fee which helps to cover costs. I also do the London
to Southend (and

Cambridge (and back). I collect sponsorship for 2 of the
charity routes because I do not have enough friends (c'mon
you know what I mean!) to cover all of them (I don't ask
twice). I also participate in other charity stuff which adds
to the difficulty. Guess this paragraph may raise some
opinions, but it works for me.

Thanks to everyone for the 'well done's", I really
appreciate it, but please note that I did suffer, it wasn't
a walk in the park! I feel 90% back to normal now, but I
have a TT in less than 2 hours which will probably take me
back to square one! I will probably ride light Thursday and
Saturday, this Sunday sees the London to Southend.

Bike is an '03 Ti Vortex, Campagnolo Record throughout
except for seatpost which is a carbon USE Alien, and Cranks
which are FSA carbon. I used my training wheels on this ride
which are Record hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims, shed with
Gommitalia rubber.

Interesting to read what another London to Oxford riders
carried with them, I went down the minimalistic route!...1
tube, 1 compressed air, 2 tyre levers, 1 mobile phone, a
credit card and 20 quid!