Longest scientific study yet backs Atkins diet

Diarmid Logan

Longest scientific study yet backs Atkins diet

12:21 18 May 04

NewScientist.com news service

The claimed benefits of the controversial low-carbohydrate
Atkins diet have been reaffirmed in two new studies, one of
which is the longest study to date.

"I think it's good news for Atkins dieters," says Linda
Stern, who led the first study of 132 obese patients at the
Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Philadelphia, US.

The diet was devised by the late US doctor Robert Atkins. To
lose weight, devotees avoid carbohydrates and consume more
protein and fat instead.

Both new studies found that subjects on the Atkins diet shed
significant amounts of weight without harmful effects on
blood fats and sugars. But the studies have failed to
silence critics of the diet, who want the US government to
investigate alleged adverse effects.

Stern's year-long study (Annals of Internal Medicine, vol
140, p778) was twice the length of any previous study. Half
the patients followed the Atkins regime, limiting daily
carbohydrate intake to just 30 grams. The rest tried losing
weight through a conventional low-fat diet much richer in
carbohydrates.

By the end, both groups had lost about the same amount of
weight, between five and eight kilograms for the Atkins
group and three and eight kilos for the low fat group. But
the Atkins dieters lost almost all their weight in the first
six months, then remained at a steady weight.

Stern says that this pattern of rapid weight loss matches
that seen in an earlier but shorter study of Atkins dieters,
by Gary Foster's team at the University of Pennsylvania in
May 2003. "I'm impressed that they didn't gain it all back,"
says Stern.

Compared with the low-fat group, Atkins dieters also had
lower levels of triglycerides, potentially harmful blood
sugars which can trigger heart disease. Concentrations of
beneficial high density cholesterols (HDLs) also held up
better in the Atkins group. And these favourable changes
remained till the end of the study, suggesting that there
might be lasting benefits.

"But what we really need is a study showing whether people
on the low-carbohydrate diet for years have different odds
of heart attacks, strokes and diabetes," she says.

A second, six-month study on 120 overweight patients at
Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina,
echoes the first, with low-carbohydrate dieters shedding an
average of 12 kilos, twice that lost by those on a low-fat
regime (Annals of Internal Medicine, vol 140, p769). And
the pattern of blood fats and sugars mirrored that in
Stern's study.

"Over six months, the diet appears to be relatively safe,
but we need to study the safety for longer durations," says
Will Yancy, head of the Duke team.

But critics highlight some negative findings from the Duke
study. "This new evidence confirms that levels of 'bad'
cholesterol worsen in a substantial number of low-
carbohydrate dieters," said Neal Barnard of the Physicians
Committee for Responsible Medicine, a vegan lobby group in
Washington DC.

"And the supposedly dramatic benefits of the diet do not
hold up over the long term," said Barnard, referring to the
end of weight loss after six months in the Stern study.

Although broadly supportive of the Atkins regime, Yancy
warns that the diet could pose risks including the
higher "bad" cholesterol, bone loss and kidney stones.
Because of this, he discourages first-time dieters from
using the regime.

Andy Coghlan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3722221.stm

Scientists endorse Atkins diet

Following a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet is a more
effective way to lose weight than following a low fat diet,
say US researchers.

Two studies published in the journal Annals of Internal
Medicine found weight loss was greatest when people followed
an Atkins-style diet.

Cholesterol levels also seemed to improve more on a low-carb
diet compared to a low-fat diet.

However, the research was funded by the Robert C Atkins
Foundation.

And critics say there are still serious doubts about the long-
term effect on health of adopting such diets.

In the first study, researchers at Duke University Medical
Center in Durham, North Carolina, assigned 120 obese
volunteers to either a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet
or a low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-calorie diet.

After six months, the people on the Atkins-style diet had
lost an average of 26 pounds, compared to an average of 14
pounds in the conventional low-fat diet group.

The low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet also had a good
effect on fat levels.

The Atkins dieters lost more body fat, lowered their
triglyceride levels and raised their "good" HDL cholesterol
levels more than the low-fat dieters.

In the second study, researchers at the Veterans Affairs
Medical Center in Philadelphia followed 132 obese adults
who were randomised to either low-carbohydrate or low-fat
diet groups.

Again, after six months the people following the low-
carbohydrate diet lost the most weight and had improved
fat levels.

However, at 12 months both groups had lost similar amounts
of weight.

The low fat group had continued to lose weight from six to
12 months while the average weight in the low-carbohydrate
group had remained steady after six months.

Lead author of the Philadelphia study Dr Linda Stern said:
"I think a low-carbohydrate diet is a good choice because
much of our overeating has to do with consumption of too
many carbohydrates."

But she said more research was needed to see if a low-
carbohydrate diet remained safe and effective over the
longer term.

In an accompanying editorial, Dr Walter Willett, from the
Harvard School of Public Health in the US, said: "We can no
longer dismiss very-low-carbohydrate diets."

But he added that such diets should include healthy sources
of protein and fat and incorporate regular exercise.

"Patients should focus on finding ways to eat that they can
maintain indefinitely rather than seeking diets that promote
rapid weight loss," he said.

Dr David Haslam, chairman of the National Obesity Forum,
said: "There is no doubt that if low-carbohydrate, high-
protein diets are followed properly you will lose weight.

"What's always been questioned is the long term efficacy of
such diets and in the short term, with weight loss, there
are certain risks in certain patients - like patients with
renal problems."

"There's still no long term data about the efficacy and you
can't stick on that type of diet for long because it's
unpalatable," he said.

Dr Haslam called for more research spanning five to six
years rather than months.

He said the best diet was still a healthy, balanced diet
cutting out excessive fat.

"One thing the Atkins isn't is balanced. It's not what the
body expects and that's why we don't know the long term
changes," he said.

Dietzmina Govindji, of the British Dietetic Association,
also warned people against thinking Atkins, or other similar
diets, were the best way to lose weight.

She said: "Do not be sucked in by the cabbage soup diet and
other fad diets.

"The thing to remember about all these quick-fix diets is
they do help you lose weight very, very quickly but often
you will put it back on very, very quickly and they often
miss out on whole food groups, so you are not getting the
full range of vitamins and minerals you need."

"Diarmid Logan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99995003

> Compared with the low-fat group, Atkins dieters also had
> lower levels of triglycerides, potentially harmful blood
> sugars which can trigger heart disease. Concentrations of
> beneficial high density cholesterols (HDLs) also held up
> better in the Atkins group. And these favourable changes
> remained till the end of the study, suggesting that there
> might be lasting benefits.

> Andy Coghlan

Andy I saw this on the news today (and last night), where
they covered this subject.

Thanks for posting this here.

It reflects my own experience as well.

--
Regards, Evelyn

(to reply to me personally, remove 'sox")

Can't comment on the article, but one would think that
people who are educated to become writers of articles would
know what a "regime" is and what a "regimen" is.

Diarmid Logan wrote:

> [...]
>
> Dr Haslam called for more research spanning five to six
> years rather than months.
>
> He said the best diet was still a healthy, balanced diet
> cutting out excessive fat.
>
> "One thing the Atkins isn't is balanced. It's not what the
> body expects and that's why we don't know the long term
> changes," he said.
>
> Dietzmina Govindji, of the British Dietetic Association,
> also warned people against thinking Atkins, or other
> similar diets, were the best way to lose weight.
>
> She said: "Do not be sucked in by the cabbage soup diet
> and other fad diets.
>
> "The thing to remember about all these quick-fix diets is
> they do help you lose weight very, very quickly but often
> you will put it back on very, very quickly and they often
> miss out on whole food groups, so you are not getting the
> full range of vitamins and minerals you need."

The post you just read, unless otherwise noted, is strictly
my opinion and experience. Please interpret accordingly.

"Crafting Mom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can't comment on the article, but one would think that
> people who are educated to become writers of articles
> would know what a "regime" is and what a "regimen" is.

Probably a typo.... losing that last letter "n"
--
> [...]

> > "One thing the Atkins isn't is balanced. It's not what
> > the body expects and that's why we don't know the long
> > term changes," he said.
> >
> > Dietzmina Govindji, of the British Dietetic Association,
> > also warned people against thinking Atkins, or other
> > similar diets, were the best way to lose weight.
> >
> > She said: "Do not be sucked in by the cabbage soup diet
> > and other fad diets.
> >
> > "The thing to remember about all these quick-fix diets
> > is they do help you lose weight very, very quickly but
> > often you will put it back on very, very quickly and
> > they often miss out on whole food groups, so you are not
> > getting the full range of vitamins and minerals you
> > need."
>
> --
> The post you just read, unless otherwise noted, is
> strictly my opinion and experience. Please interpret

Tue, 18 May 2004 10:53:37 -0300 in article
<[email protected]> Crafting Mom
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Can't comment on the article, but one would think that
>people who are educated to become writers of articles would
>know what a "regime" is and what a "regimen" is.

Actually, according to

<URL:http://dictionary.reference.com>

which uses as its source _The American Heritage® Dictionary
of the English Language, Fourth Edition_, regime" and
"regimen" are synonyms (in the context used in the articles
you are referring to):

"re·gime also ré·gime
n.

[..]

4. A regulated system, as of diet and exercise; a
regimen."

The medical dictionary at <URL:http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/>
is bit more restrictive allowing the meaning implied in the
articles only for the word "regimen".

--
Matti Narkia

On 5/18/04 10:44 PM, in article
[email protected], "Diarmid Logan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> By the end, both groups had lost about the same amount of
> weight, between five and eight kilograms for the Atkins
> group and three and eight kilos for the low fat group. But
> the Atkins dieters lost almost all their weight in the
> first six months, then remained at a steady weight.

Which is precisely the PROBLEM I had with Atkins. After six
months I entered a six month stall, and have only broken
that stall by switching to a low-calorie diet.

doug

In article <BCD0501F.40395%[email protected]>, Doug Lerner wrote:
> On 5/18/04 10:44 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Diarmid
> Logan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> By the end, both groups had lost about the same amount of
>> weight, between five and eight kilograms for the Atkins
>> group and three and eight kilos for the low fat group.
>> But the Atkins dieters lost almost all their weight in
>> the first six months, then remained at a steady weight.
>
> Which is precisely the PROBLEM I had with Atkins. After
> six months I entered a six month stall, and have only
> broken that stall by switching to a low-calorie diet.

The upside of this is that it probably means you are in a
better state of health, metabolically, than those who keep
losing and losing on
LC. It is just a "hunch".

----------------
char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pr-
intf(p,34,p,34);} "It's never too late to have a happy
childhood."

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:43:27 +0900, Doug Lerner <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 5/18/04 10:44 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Diarmid
> Logan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> By the end, both groups had lost about the same amount of
>> weight, between five and eight kilograms for the Atkins
>> group and three and eight kilos for the low fat group.
>> But the Atkins dieters lost almost all their weight in
>> the first six months, then remained at a steady weight.
>
> Which is precisely the PROBLEM I had with Atkins. After
> six months I entered a six month stall, and have only
> broken that stall by switching to a low-calorie diet.
>
> doug

Did you increase your carbohydrate intake, as required by
Atkins, during this period? Did you find your critical
carbohydrate level for losing? What most people do is keep
eating at 20-30 grams of carbs per day, which is not what
Atkins advocates. Did you exercise? Also, calories are
always important, regardless of what "diet" you follow.

--
Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

"Diarmid Logan" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99995003

> was twice the length of any previous study. Half the
> patients followed the Atkins regime, limiting daily
> carbohydrate intake to just 30 grams.

Ooops. Limiting carbs intake to 30 grams is NOT Atkins
regime.

These are induction levels and you are not supposed to be so
low for more then couple of weeks, most prefferable 14 days
only. Certainly not for one year.

> Compared with the low-fat group, Atkins dieters also had
> lower levels of triglycerides, potentially harmful blood
> sugars which can trigger heart disease. Concentrations of
> beneficial high density cholesterols (HDLs) also held up
> better in the Atkins group. And these favourable changes
> remained till the end of the study, suggesting that there
> might be lasting benefits.

One might ask what lipid results the study would gave if
Atkins (or more generall LC approach) was really followed,
raising maintainance carbs levels to 80-120g with vegetable
and fruit sources.

> But critics highlight some negative findings from the Duke
> study. "This new evidence confirms that levels of 'bad'
> cholesterol worsen in a substantial number of low-
> carbohydrate dieters," said Neal Barnard of the Physicians
> Committee for Responsible Medicine, a vegan lobby group in
> Washington DC.

Yeah, sure. Chicken meat is unhealthy because there is no
vitamin C in
it.

Mirek

"Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> Did you increase your carbohydrate intake, as required by
> Atkins, during this period? Did you find your critical
> carbohydrate level for losing? What most people do is keep
> eating at 20-30 grams of carbs per day, which is not what
> Atkins advocates. Did you exercise? Also, calories are
> always important, regardless of what "diet" you follow.
>
> --
> Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

Very good points, which also reflect my own experience. I
lost a certain amount of weight then stalled, and I wasn't
too meticulous about watching those things (above) and I was
lazy about exercise too. I think some sort of a modified
version will evolve that may be best for me. Maybe South
Beach or something..... and the exercise of course.
--

"Doug Lerner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BCD0501F.40395%[email protected]...
> On 5/18/04 10:44 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Diarmid
> Logan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > By the end, both groups had lost about the same amount
> > of weight, between five and eight kilograms for the
> > Atkins group and three and eight kilos for the low fat
> > group. But the Atkins dieters lost almost all their
> > weight in the first six months, then remained at a
> > steady weight.
>
> Which is precisely the PROBLEM I had with Atkins. After
> six months I entered a six month stall, and have only
> broken that stall by switching to a low-calorie diet.
>
> doug

So maybe that is the secret for losing weight. Go on Atkins
for 6 months then switch to a lower calorie diet.

But my question is what is the effect of each type of diet
on a diabetic?

PJ

gman99 wrote:

> A year long study with 132 people does NOT a true trial
> make...six months is nothing....

Feel free to fund a larger long-term study.

--
As you accelerate your food, it takes exponentially more and
more energy to increase its velocity, until you hit a limit

Peanutjake wrote:

> But my question is what is the effect of each type of diet
> on a diabetic?

The second study showed significantly better glycemic
control on low-carb.

Which seems frankly so damned obvious to me that it seems
ridiculous to need a study.

People with impaired carbohydrate metabolism should limit
carbs! Surprise!

Blond moments in science...

--

gman99 wrote:

> [email protected] (Diarmid Logan) wrote:
> > http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99995003
> >
> > Longest scientific study yet backs Atkins diet
> >
> A year long study with 132 people does NOT a true trial
> make...six months is nothing....

Correct.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R20632B48

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

gman99 wrote:

> [email protected] (Diarmid Logan) wrote:
> > http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99995003
> >
> > Longest scientific study yet backs Atkins diet
> >
> A year long study with 132 people does NOT a true trial
> make...six months is nothing....

Correct.

Andrew

--

Doug Lerner wrote:

> On 5/18/04 10:44 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Diarmid
> Logan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > By the end, both groups had lost about the same amount
> > of weight, between five and eight kilograms for the
> > Atkins group and three and eight kilos for the low fat
> > group. But the Atkins dieters lost almost all their
> > weight in the first six months, then remained at a
> > steady weight.
>
> Which is precisely the PROBLEM I had with Atkins. After
> six months I entered a six month stall, and have only
> broken that stall by switching to a low-calorie diet.
>
> doug

No switching is required with the 2PD approach which can be
dovetailed with reduced carbs if you choose.

http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

Would suggest you ask your doctor about it.

Andrew