Longevity and wear & tear on a carbon frame??

TTer

Jun 16, 2003
I'm considering buying a carbon frame, Trek 5500 to be precise. Firstly, any comments on the frame, good or bad? If not the Trek, which carbon frames would you recommend? (Look?)

The bike will be ridden a lot in training and racing, though I will keep it out of the winter muck and filth (obviously). But, how long do carbon frames last if I'm riding 6-7000 miles per year on it? Do they mark-up or scratch quickly from gravel and knocks from everyday use?

I'm a concerned that me using the bike a lot will mean it looks 'well used' within a year, though the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of money on one and not use it :)

I have a Trek 5500 I bought in Sept. of '01. It still looks almost just as sharp as the day that I bought it. I ride/rode it roughly 5-6000 miles a year and it has very little mark ups or gravel dings on it if any. If you were to stand a few feet away from it and look it at it you would swear it was brand new. :)

I'm still riding a Look carbon frame I've had since 1993, and it looks almost as good as new. Mine has a clear coat finish which stands up very well to nicks and scratches. If I do get any they are very easy to fix.