LONGO

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringion, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. 44 years old and off the front at Worlds.

    Where are the Masters Fatties?

    Tags:

  2. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > 44 years old and off the front at Worlds.

    Wasn't she the French alternate?

    > Where are the Masters Fatties?

    Maybe Karen Brems and Linda Jackson should be there, too :).

    Dan

  3. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    >> Where are the Masters Fatties?

    I spotted one in an RBR jersey across the crowd in grandstand 2A today.

  4. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >I spotted one in an RBR jersey across the crowd in grandstand 2A today.

    Wasn't me, but I'm voting Longo the best female athlete of the last 50 years. You might not like
    her personality, but damn she's good. Bill C

  5. Ctrdy01

    Ctrdy01 Guest

    >Wasn't me, but I'm voting Longo the best female athlete of the last 50 years. You might not like
    >her personality, but damn she's good. Bill C

    I'll second that.... plus she's the only one to have been around for a bout that long :)

    - Chris - http://www.customgetaways.com Sport Vacations (Multisport, Cycling,
    Marathons, etc...)

  6. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    >>I spotted one [Masters Fattie] in an RBR jersey across the crowd in
    grandstand 2A today.

    > Wasn't me, but I'm voting Longo the best female athlete of the last 50 years. You might not like
    > her personality, but damn she's good. Bill C

    I agree. And I think her personality has mellowed a bit over the years as well. Good for her for
    animating yesterday's otherwise-lazy race.

  7. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Mapei81 wrote:
    >>> I spotted one [Masters Fattie] in an RBR jersey across the crowd in grandstand 2A today.
    >>
    >> Wasn't me, but I'm voting Longo the best female athlete of the last 50 years. You might not like
    >> her personality, but damn she's good. Bill C
    >
    > I agree. And I think her personality has mellowed a bit over the years as well. Good for her for
    > animating yesterday's otherwise-lazy race.

    I was flipping through a book in the bookstore yesterday and saw a photo of Stephen Roche's 1987
    victory lap on the Champs Elysees. He's riding with Longo, arms raised in victory salutes as she had
    just won the women's Tour.

    Roche has gained considerable weight since 1987.

  8. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I was flipping through a book in the bookstore yesterday and saw a photo of Stephen Roche's 1987
    > victory lap on the Champs Elysees. He's riding with Longo, arms raised in victory salutes as she
    > had just won the women's Tour.
    >
    > Roche has gained considerable weight since 1987.

    Yep. Most guys his age have been trying to keep it together past retirement. He looks like he must
    really enjoy his food because he certainly rides quite a bit still.

  9. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:

    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >> 44 years old and off the front at Worlds.

    > Wasn't she the French alternate?

    >> Where are the Masters Fatties?

    > Maybe Karen Brems and Linda Jackson should be there, too :).

    Linda Jackson was there. In the peloton.

    On a motorcycle. With a microphone.

    Right about the time I was concluding that I couldn't figure out the US strategy she abandoned the
    bike for the main broadcast booth and said that she didn't understand the US strategy. The US team
    put out a lot of effort early in the race and neither Linda nor I could see the point.

    I'm not sure what to make of the Women's RR. The way it played out it could have been any one of
    billions of US industrial park crits where everyone rides in circles until the end when it gets fast
    for the sprint. I think the small teams play a role in this in that there are more tactical options
    when there are up to 12 to a team rather than a maximum of 6. A rider like Ljungskog has only one
    teammate so she really only has the option to ride the race she did to win.

    The other side of that is that there are few nations with the depth to provide 12 riders with the
    ability to ride at that level. It isn't an easy question.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]