LONGO

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
44 years old and off the front at Worlds.

Where are the Masters Fatties?

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> 44 years old and off the front at Worlds.

Wasn't she the French alternate?

> Where are the Masters Fatties?

Maybe Karen Brems and Linda Jackson should be there, too :).

Dan

>> Where are the Masters Fatties?

I spotted one in an RBR jersey across the crowd in grandstand 2A today.

>I spotted one in an RBR jersey across the crowd in grandstand 2A today.

Wasn't me, but I'm voting Longo the best female athlete of the last 50 years. You might not like
her personality, but damn she's good. Bill C

>Wasn't me, but I'm voting Longo the best female athlete of the last 50 years. You might not like
>her personality, but damn she's good. Bill C

I'll second that.... plus she's the only one to have been around for a bout that long :)

- Chris - http://www.customgetaways.com Sport Vacations (Multisport, Cycling,
Marathons, etc...)

>>I spotted one [Masters Fattie] in an RBR jersey across the crowd in
grandstand 2A today.

> Wasn't me, but I'm voting Longo the best female athlete of the last 50 years. You might not like
> her personality, but damn she's good. Bill C

I agree. And I think her personality has mellowed a bit over the years as well. Good for her for
animating yesterday's otherwise-lazy race.

Mapei81 wrote:
>>> I spotted one [Masters Fattie] in an RBR jersey across the crowd in grandstand 2A today.
>>
>> Wasn't me, but I'm voting Longo the best female athlete of the last 50 years. You might not like
>> her personality, but damn she's good. Bill C
>
> I agree. And I think her personality has mellowed a bit over the years as well. Good for her for
> animating yesterday's otherwise-lazy race.

I was flipping through a book in the bookstore yesterday and saw a photo of Stephen Roche's 1987
victory lap on the Champs Elysees. He's riding with Longo, arms raised in victory salutes as she had
just won the women's Tour.

Roche has gained considerable weight since 1987.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I was flipping through a book in the bookstore yesterday and saw a photo of Stephen Roche's 1987
> victory lap on the Champs Elysees. He's riding with Longo, arms raised in victory salutes as she
> had just won the women's Tour.
>
> Roche has gained considerable weight since 1987.

Yep. Most guys his age have been trying to keep it together past retirement. He looks like he must
really enjoy his food because he certainly rides quite a bit still.

Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:

> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>> 44 years old and off the front at Worlds.

> Wasn't she the French alternate?

>> Where are the Masters Fatties?

> Maybe Karen Brems and Linda Jackson should be there, too :).

Linda Jackson was there. In the peloton.

On a motorcycle. With a microphone.

Right about the time I was concluding that I couldn't figure out the US strategy she abandoned the
bike for the main broadcast booth and said that she didn't understand the US strategy. The US team
put out a lot of effort early in the race and neither Linda nor I could see the point.

I'm not sure what to make of the Women's RR. The way it played out it could have been any one of
billions of US industrial park crits where everyone rides in circles until the end when it gets fast
for the sprint. I think the small teams play a role in this in that there are more tactical options
when there are up to 12 to a team rather than a maximum of 6. A rider like Ljungskog has only one
teammate so she really only has the option to ride the race she did to win.

The other side of that is that there are few nations with the depth to provide 12 riders with the
ability to ride at that level. It isn't an easy question.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]