Longs



D

Drs

Guest
Is there any technical reason at all that justifies Netti's
outrageous prices for their longs? Standard running lycra
tights seem to do exactly the same job and they're much less
expensive (except maybe for Nike).

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
 

Spider1977

New Member
Jul 19, 2003
446
0
0
Originally posted by Drs
Is there any technical reason at all that justifies Netti's
outrageous prices for their longs? Standard running lycra
tights seem to do exactly the same job and they're much less
expensive (except maybe for Nike).


How expensive you talking about? My wife recently picked up a pair in Melbourne for about $50. These are the ones with padding and stirrups. My adidas long tights cost over $70 early last year.

I'm not all that impressed with Netti bike pants (long or short). Since I've bought a pair of Sugoi knicks I'm reluctant to use anything else. Hence three pairs of Netti's haven't seen the light of day since Xmas.
 
D

Drs

Guest
Spider1977 <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]
> Drs wrote:
> > Is there any technical reason at all that justifies
> > Netti's
> outrageous > prices for their longs? Standard running
> lycra tights seem to do exactly > the same job and
> they're much less expensive (except maybe for Nike).
>
> How expensive you talking about? My wife recently picked
> up a pair in Melbourne for about $50. These are the ones
> with padding and stirrups. My adidas long tights cost over
> $70 early last year.

Netti longs start at $79.95 RRP ('Mercury') and go up to
139.95 RRP ('Luna Wind Block'). Running tights end at
$79.95 (Nike) and you can get things like New Balance at
Rebel for $50.

> I'm not all that impressed with Netti bike pants (long
> or short).

I like them, the Pronix particularly, but I'm always open to
alternatives. Right now, with the weather starting to turn
(unlike most of the country, Melbourne has a real winter),
I'm looking at longs and long-sleeved jerseys (I think arm
and leg warmers are naff).

> Since I've bought a pair of Sugoi knicks I'm reluctant to
> use anything else. Hence three pairs of Netti's haven't
> seen the light of day since Xmas.

If I could afford Sugoi I would have bought the Netti
already.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Originally posted by Drs
Is there any technical reason at all that justifies Netti's
outrageous prices for their longs? Standard running lycra
tights seem to do exactly the same job and they're much less
expensive (except maybe for Nike).

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Having just recieved mine on special from deanwoods and ridden in to work, the initial impressions are VERY good

they are far better than standard running lycra's and have an extra windproof panel on the front face. handy zipped lower ends and the 'build' quality is very good too. My previous ones were looking very tired (altho still very useable) after 10years of solid riding so no complaints from this little black duck!
 
D

Drs

Guest
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in
message [email protected]
> Drs wrote:
> > Is there any technical reason at all that justifies
> > Netti's
> outrageous > prices for their longs? Standard
> running lycra tights seem to do exactly > the same
> job and they're much less expensive (except maybe
> for Nike). > --
>
> Having just recieved mine on special from deanwoods and
> ridden in to work, the initial impressions are VERY good

I don't see any longs on special at Dean Woods. What
did you buy?

> they are far better than standard running lycra's and have
> an extra windproof panel on the front face. handy zipped
> lower ends and the 'build' quality is very good too. My
> previous ones were looking very tired (altho still very
> useable) after 10years of solid riding so no complaints
> from this little black duck!

If you're wearing them over your nix because the longs
themselves aren't padded, how useful or important is that
exta windproof panel you mention? I was thinking perhaps
the biggest design difference is that bike longs might
have a higher waist than running tights but the Nettis
site says they're suitable for cross-training so that's
probably not right.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Originally posted by Drs
I don't see any longs on special at Dean Woods. What
did you buy?

> they are far better than standard running lycra's and have
> an extra windproof panel on the front face. handy zipped
> lower ends and the 'build' quality is very good too. My
> previous ones were looking very tired (altho still very
> useable) after 10years of solid riding so no complaints
> from this little black duck!

If you're wearing them over your nix because the longs
themselves aren't padded, how useful or important is that
exta windproof panel you mention? I was thinking perhaps
the biggest design difference is that bike longs might
have a higher waist than running tights but the Nettis
site says they're suitable for cross-training so that's
probably not right.

I get a monthly (or is it fortnightly?) email outlining specials.
Usually just a reflection of their web specials but sometimes extra stuff too!

the windproof panel along the front is great. concentrates on where you need it most and allows the rest of the longs to be lightweight. the panel goes from groin to approx 6inches above base. is a bit chunkier than previous ('just' warm/elastic) longs and gathers a tad around the knee (oh no. i wont look as cool as the other boys on Beach Rd :rolleyes: ) but I commute anywhere between 5 and 7:30am and approx half of that is in low-lying river regions so frost/ice/puffy breath is par for the course.
That And my first 3-4km is downhill:D (alas the ride home ends in 3-4km uphill!) so long fingered gloves and good windproof longs is mandatory otherwise bits go numb!!!

Wearing the longs over my nix is good for me as it gives me options.
Often I'll roll down to Beach Rd and get to Mordialloc (45km by then) and take the longs off as Im too hot for Mordy-Frankston-NorthBoring

I keep telling myself if i didnt go so fast i wouldnt get so cold downhill, but what's the fun in that?
 
D

Drs

Guest
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in
message [email protected]

[...]

> I get a monthly (or is it fortnightly?) email outlining
> specials. Usually just a reflection of their web specials
> but sometimes extra stuff too!

So what did you buy???

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Originally posted by Drs
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in
message [email protected]

[...]

> I get a monthly (or is it fortnightly?) email outlining
> specials. Usually just a reflection of their web specials
> but sometimes extra stuff too!

So what did you buy???

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Dang. knew you were gonna ask me that (again). yesterday they were hangin up in the changeing rooms at work and I couldnt be arsed going and finding out what it said on the tag. Today they are at home as it was 'just right' at 6:30am!
Shall try and remember to suss them out tonight/tomorrow.
They dont appear to be on DWD anymore.
searching, searching...
Ah, here they are!

http://www.netti.com.au/index.htm
Luna Wind Block Longs
 
B

B .

Guest
"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there any technical reason at all that justifies
> Netti's outrageous prices for their longs? Standard
> running lycra tights seem to do exactly the same job and
> they're much less expensive (except maybe for Nike).
>
> --
>
> A: Top-posters.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
>
>

LMFAO! Perhaps you should shop around?
 
T

Tony F

Guest
"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there any technical reason at all that justifies
> Netti's outrageous prices for their longs? Standard
> running lycra tights seem to do exactly the same job and
> they're much less expensive (except maybe for Nike).

Well, you could always go the *real* tightarse option
- like me!

Target (et al) sell tights for women - lycra, lycra/cotton
etc, and they are really cheap. I bought mine for $14. No
padding, cotton/lycra so not quite as stretchy, but kept my
legs warm all winter - just the same as my bike specific
tights did, but for far less outlay.

When (not if) I fall off and rip them - who cares? I've only
blown a few bucks, and can quickly replace them.

I don't think they'll let me in the ladies' change
rooms, but I just picked some tights off the rack,
grabbed some jeans from the men's section as well and
pretended I only had things from the men's section when
I went to try them on. ;^)

Tony F http://www.thefathippy.com
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Originally posted by Tony F
I don't think they'll let me in the ladies' change
rooms, but I just picked some tights off the rack,
grabbed some jeans from the men's section as well and
pretended I only had things from the men's section when
I went to try them on. ;^)

Sure Tony, sure... :D

bet you said the same thing when asked about the lingerie too!
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Originally posted by Drs
Ah, top of the line. When I win Tatts I might get a pair
too.


yeah, not cheap admittedly

but i ride mon-fri and Sundays (and some Sat's wid de kids)
for about 50 weeks of the year

so i can justify it to 'the treasurer'.

Tony F's Target numbers sound like a good compramise tho
(altho i might get 'her-indoors' to pick em up!)
 
D

Drs

Guest
tony f <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]

[...]

> Target (et al) sell tights for women - lycra, lycra/cotton
> etc, and they are really cheap. I bought mine for $14. No
> padding, cotton/lycra so not quite as stretchy, but kept
> my legs warm all winter - just the same as my bike
> specific tights did, but for far less outlay.
>
> When (not if) I fall off and rip them - who cares? I've
> only blown a few bucks, and can quickly replace them.
>
> I don't think they'll let me in the ladies' change
> rooms, but I just picked some tights off the rack,
> grabbed some jeans from the men's section as well and
> pretended I only had things from the men's section when
> I went to try them on. ;^)

It's scary how much sense that makes. :)

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
 
D

Drs

Guest
tony f <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]

[...]

> Well, you could always go the *real* tightarse option -
> like me!
>
> Target (et al) sell tights for women - lycra, lycra/cotton
> etc, and they are really cheap. I bought mine for $14. No
> padding, cotton/lycra so not quite as stretchy, but kept
> my legs warm all winter - just the same as my bike
> specific tights did, but for far less outlay.

So, how do you match grrrlie sizes to bloke sizes?

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
 
D

Drs

Guest
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Drs wrote:
> > Ah, top of the line. When I win Tatts I might get a
> > pair too.
>
> yeah, not cheap admittedly
>
> but i ride mon-fri and Sundays (and some Sat's wid de
> kids) for about 50 weeks of the year
>
> so i can justify it to 'the treasurer'.
>
> Tony F's Target numbers sound like a good compramise tho
> (altho i might get 'her-indoors' to pick em up!)

How do know what grrlie size you are?

Anyway, I compromised and bought a pair of Netti Mercury
longs (http://www.netti.com.au/products/generic/detail.asp?-
f_CatalogueID=22&f_Cate goryID=58&f_ProductID=539) for $69
at MBC Prahran. And aren't they *tight*! BTW, always check
MBC Prahran's web site before buying anything from the shop,
the site prices are frequently different to their ticket
prices. They had the Mercury's ticketed at $79 down from $89
which is simply wrong. The RRP is $79.95 and the web site
says $69. They have the Luna Wind Block longs for $119 too.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?