Look 396 pedals--AAAH, the Squeaking!!

glennjd

Sep 10, 2003
I'm really out of ideas here, so I could use some advice. I have two sets of Look pedals. I love the feel, the float, the stability, but both sets of pedals sqeak. I've tried using linseed oil on the cleat screws. I've tried teflon coated screws. I've tried silicon on the cleat (that seems to help a little). Is there something that needs to go between the cleat and the shoe? What have you all done to get rid of the noise? I can't afford to switch to another pedal right now. Thanks.

glennjd said:
I'm really out of ideas here, so I could use some advice. I have two sets of Look pedals. I love the feel, the float, the stability, but both sets of pedals sqeak. I've tried using linseed oil on the cleat screws. I've tried teflon coated screws. I've tried silicon on the cleat (that seems to help a little). Is there something that needs to go between the cleat and the shoe? What have you all done to get rid of the noise? I can't afford to switch to another pedal right now. Thanks.

The bi-material cleats work OK, not perfect but definitely better. I used to have an old piece of candle wax that I would rub on the front and back of the cleat and that did the trick for one ride at least... helps if the wax is warm.

Apparently hair spray also does the trick (no, I have never tried it, but it you do a search you will find many who recommend it). Try it and let us know!

glennjd said:

Everyone I know who uses Look pedals suffer from the squeaks, with the exception of the Keo's. It seems to start about 6-7 weeks after you put the new cleats on and its highly annoying.

Swap them for Shimano or some other brand, do the same job and the cleats are cheaper and last longer.

jcjordan said:
Everyone I know who uses Look pedals suffer from the squeaks, with the exception of the Keo's. It seems to start about 6-7 weeks after you put the new cleats on and its highly annoying.

Swap them for Shimano or some other brand, do the same job and the cleats are cheaper and last longer.

I have the same problem with my road SPDs - a squirt of silicon spray seems to sort it for a week or two. Interesting to here that Keos don't seem to suffer the same - I've been considering switching to Look and was hovering between the Keos and standard Look pedals. Looks like the Keos get the nod.

You may also want to consider the Campagnolo clipless - they are based on the Look design, with a slightly differently shaped clip. No squeaking, though!

Mr Sheen Furniture Polish. Worked for me for last 15 years - no squeeks

Also ensure that the cleats are given a very slight sanding once in a while !

Powerful Pete said:
You may also want to consider the Campagnolo clipless - they are based on the Look design, with a slightly differently shaped clip. No squeaking, though!
my chorus pedals/cleats were fine for a few weeks, then they started sqeaking. i use a light film of grease under the pedal front locking area and the spring area at the rear. this solved it for me and i re-grease on a weekly basis.

CAMPYBOB said:
my chorus pedals/cleats were fine for a few weeks, then they started sqeaking. i use a light film of grease under the pedal front locking area and the spring area at the rear. this solved it for me and i re-grease on a weekly basis.

What kind of grease did you use? Just the normal cycle bearing grease?

fossyant said:
Mr Sheen Furniture Polish. Worked for me for last 15 years - no squeeks

Also ensure that the cleats are given a very slight sanding once in a while !

Wow, now that's something I never would have thought to try. What made you try furniture polish?

glennjd said:
What kind of grease did you use? Just the normal cycle bearing grease?
i use white lithium grease.

i tried using a small file to deburr and lightly radius the edges of the cleats (they do get dinged up from walking on them). while that improved engagement/disengagement with the pedal a bit, it did nothing to remove the annoying sqeaking.

my cleats are mounted properly...screws tightened and i used the roughed-surface stick-on paper that came with the pedals sandwiched between cleat and shoe. i rather doyubt it makes a difference, but i'm currently using specialized brand shoes.

CAMPYBOB said:
i use white lithium grease.

my cleats are mounted properly...screws tightened and i used the roughed-surface stick-on paper that came with the pedals sandwiched between cleat and shoe . . .

Do you just put the grease on the contact points at the front and rear of the cleat? Do you run the red or black cleats? Also, I didn't get any of the stick on paper you talk about with my pedals. I've had them for a little over a year. Is this a new thing from Look? I'm going to try using automotive gasket paper between the cleat and my northwave shoes. The loud squeek is gone when use the furniture polish on the contact points of the cleat. What I'm hearing now sounds more like the cleat moving slightly against the bottom of the shoe. I'll see if the gasket paper solves this problem. I also thought I might try a thin rubber gasket. I really like the performance of these pedals.

you must have missed my first response in the thread...my pedals are campy chorus, but with the same 'squeak' that developed soon after breaking them in from new.

the campy pedals come with a sticky-back, self-adhesive piece of papaer with a roughened side that resembles very course sandpaper. this side goes against the sole of the shoe and helps prevent the cleat from slipping on a smooth sole.

gasket paper or thin rubber might be a suitable substitute, perhaps mounted to the cleat with contact cement. use your cleat as a template and trace its' outline on the paper with an x-acto knife.

some of the shoes (like my specialized brand) do have very glossy, smooth soles. i suppose there is a possibility of cleat-to-shoe movement in that area.

hope this helps.

CAMPYBOB said:
you must have missed my first response in the thread...my pedals are campy chorus, but with the same 'squeak' that developed soon after breaking them in from new.

Right after I sent the last post, I saw your original explaination. Thanks to your help and the suggestions of several others, I've solved the problem. I didn't think about using some kind of liner under the cleat until you described how campy sets up theirs. I took gasket paper and traced the outline of the cleat, cut it out, and then used a razor blade to cut out the rectangular holes for the screws (Gasket paper works well because it holds together when it gets wet; you can buy it at any auto parts place). I used lithium grease on the front and rear contact points and, walah (sp?).....no squeak on my 50 mile ride into work. I tried the furniture polish, but it wears off on the long rides. I tried silicon spray, but it has the same problem. It just doesn't stay on as long as the grease. When I took the cleats off, I could see spots on the outside back corners of the cleat where they had been rubbing on the bottom of my shoes (the cleat left some small divots in the bottom where it had been rubbing when it flexed). It was so nice to be squeak free. Maybe there's a marketing opportunity here?

Many thanks.

James

glennjd said:

I used lithium grease on the front and rear contact points and, walah (sp?).....no squeak on my 50 mile ride into work.

James
James, it's "Voila!" - french word. I think the rough translation is: here's your food you stupid, english speaking tourist
smile.gif

drubie said:
James, it's "Voila!" - french word. I think the rough translation is: here's your food you stupid, english speaking tourist
smile.gif

Cool! Not only can I get great advice on bicycle hardware, I can also get French language instruction. :)

drubie said:

No, that's not a rough translation - pretty much spot on!