Look 4X4 vs Eggbeaters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Fred Roses, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Fred Roses

    Fred Roses Guest

    I just discovered that Look has introduced a pedal called the 4X4 which looks remarkably like the
    Crank Bros Eggbeaters. Anybody know if this is licensed or a blatant knock-off? Anybody aware of any
    feature unique to one or the other?

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Fred Roses) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I just discovered that Look has introduced a pedal called the 4X4 which looks remarkably like the
    > Crank Bros Eggbeaters. Anybody know if this is licensed or a blatant knock-off?

    The former. The clip mechanism looks the same, but the bearings are different.

  3. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    [email protected] (Fred Roses) wrote:

    >I just discovered that Look has introduced a pedal called the 4X4 which looks remarkably like the
    >Crank Bros Eggbeaters. Anybody know if this is licensed or a blatant knock-off?

    Licensed.

    >Anybody aware of any feature unique to one or the other?

    The bearings and spindles are different. Look has a chromoly spindle and the bearings are sealed
    cartridge and needle.

    http://www.lookcycle.com/english/catalogue/2003/pedales.htm

    The comparable Crank Bros. pedal is the S, which retails @ $140, same as the Look, but is
    slightly lighter. The 3 Ti versions Crank Bros. offers are way more expensive (to the point of
    not cost effective
    IMO). The S has a stainless spindle, sealed cartridge bearings and a plastic bushing. See:
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/faq/egg_beater.php

    The 2002 Crank Bros. pedals had problems with the bearings seizing up and they offer a rebuild kit
    to remedy: http://shop.crankbrothers.com/prod_show.php?itemid=66639

    I had the 2002 last season and loved them, EXCEPT for the bearing problem. Indeed they failed.

    I think the choice between the Look 4 X 4 and the Crank Bros. S is whether the potentially better
    bearings on the Look is preferable to the slightly lighter S with stainless spindle. I think I'd
    choose the bearings. --dt

  4. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Look liscensed the original technology from Crank Bros. and added a little of their own technology
    and Crank Bros. has since released a few updates to their old design as well. I think you can find
    Look's model and Crank Bros. three models in the Excel Sports Catolog.

    [email protected] (Fred Roses) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just discovered that Look has introduced a pedal called the 4X4 which looks remarkably like the
    > Crank Bros Eggbeaters. Anybody know if this is licensed or a blatant knock-off? Anybody aware of
    > any feature unique to one or the other?

  5. I've seen the Eggbeater pedals, but not the Look, and I like the design, especially for the
    everpresent clay in the Carolina Piedmont. But I was wondering, just how easy are they to find with
    the foot? IMOE, the smaller they have made clipless pedals, the harder it has been to locate the
    "clip" (specially in nobby soled shoes).

    Which is why I have Shimano M424 pedals on my MTB. I'm not that skilled on dirt, and I want to be
    sure that is easy to find and if I do miss the clip-in during a tricky start-up, my foot will at
    least land on something stable that it won't slide off of.

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
    > I've seen the Eggbeater pedals, but not the Look, and I like the design, especially for the
    > everpresent clay in the Carolina Piedmont. But I was wondering, just how easy are they to find
    > with the foot? IMOE, the smaller they have made clipless pedals, the harder it has been to locate
    > the "clip" (specially in nobby soled shoes).
    >
    > Which is why I have Shimano M424 pedals on my MTB. I'm not that skilled on dirt, and I want to be
    > sure that is easy to find and if I do miss the clip-in during a tricky start-up, my foot will at
    > least land on something stable that it won't slide off of.

    I rode shimano's system before switching to egg beaters (515, 858, 959). I find the egg beaters
    easier to find and lock-in. And, they hold better once locked-in while still letting me out when I
    want to get out. Like everyone, I sometimes miss in tough situations and have had an easier time
    keeping going with the egg beaters -- and finally getting locked-in :). IME, YMMV.

    David

  7. fred-<< I just discovered that Look has introduced a pedal called the 4X4 which looks remarkably
    like the Crank Bros Eggbeaters. Anybody know if this is licensed or a blatant knock-off?

    Licensed....