Look 555 carbon anyone?

RoadCyclist

Guest
greetings all

I am thinking of buying Look 555 carbon (2007 model, arriving soon I think)
or perhaps 565, if someone convinces me that it is a lot better than 555.

Anyone riding Look 555 or 565, earlier models, comments, reviews,
good/bad/ugly? I realise the new models are quite different (particularly
555 which is Taiwan made using tube-to-tube methods, unlike it's Tunisian
cousins 565/585/595) but hoping that the 2005/2006 models give me some idea
what to expect.

Two specific questions are: frame/fork quality, reliability and ride and
geometry quality.

thanks in advance

RoadCyclist wrote:
> greetings all
>
> I am thinking of buying Look 555 carbon (2007 model, arriving soon I think)
> or perhaps 565, if someone convinces me that it is a lot better than 555.
>
> Anyone riding Look 555 or 565, earlier models, comments, reviews,
> good/bad/ugly? I realise the new models are quite different (particularly
> 555 which is Taiwan made using tube-to-tube methods, unlike it's Tunisian
> cousins 565/585/595) but hoping that the 2005/2006 models give me some idea
> what to expect.

I think the 555 is assembled in Algeria and the 565+ are assembled in
France...nothing in Tiawan, afaik.

> Two specific questions are: frame/fork quality, reliability and ride and
> geometry quality.

We have sold 555/565/585 and the two most alike, of course, are the 565
and 585..close in weight. Ride quality, a VERY subjective thing,
reported by customers and test riders, seem that all ride very
similarly to one another. If ya want to save some $ and having aluminum
lugs is NOBIGDEAL(and it shouldn't be), the 555 is a great choice. If
you want to save a WEE bit of weight and have more coffee shop points,
then the all carbon(save the BB shell) 565 or the 585...the 595 is a
poor choice because of the seat mast, IMO.

> thanks in advance

First of all fit is the most important thing. That being said, I have been
riding the 555 for 4000 miles and it is by far the best bike (frame) I ever
road. Had a Trek Madone 5.9 prior and you can keep it. Got rid of it in less
then a year. The ride, and finish are perfect. I also purchased a 386i and
that is just as good but I got it on a deal at Excell last year, I don't
think they import that one anymore. It might be slightly better and molded
from one piece (no gluing). Don't let anyone give you that **** that other
frames are slightly lighter, I tried many of them and like the great ride
having an extra few ounces of carbon provides, never mind the added safety
from the stupid light bikes. Buy the look you will not be disappointed.

"Larry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First of all fit is the most important thing. That being said, I have been
> riding the 555 for 4000 miles and it is by far the best bike (frame) I
> ever road. Had a Trek Madone 5.9 prior and you can keep it. Got rid of it
> in less then a year. The ride, and finish are perfect. I also purchased a
> 386i and that is just as good but I got it on a deal at Excell last year,
> I don't think they import that one anymore. It might be slightly better
> and molded from one piece (no gluing). Don't let anyone give you that ****
> that other frames are slightly lighter, I tried many of them and like the
> great ride having an extra few ounces of carbon provides, never mind the
> added safety from the stupid light bikes. Buy the look you will not be
> disappointed.

thanks.

Funny, I have a 2005 Madone 5.9 right now, had it since July 2005. I am
hoping Look 555 will be more friendly to my 46yo body. I find Madone has a
very short head tube so I have 30mm of spacer and zero degree stem. It also
has rather steep 74 degree STA. Look 555 appears to have at least 25mm or
35mm longer head tube and all other dimensions very similar and a tiny bit
more relaxed 73.75 STA (i.e. I get to slide ~3mm more behind BB).

So does Look 555 ride better than your Madone 5.9 or if there another reason
you got rid of Madone?

Thanks

RoadCyclist wrote:
> "Larry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>First of all fit is the most important thing. That being said, I have been
>>riding the 555 for 4000 miles and it is by far the best bike (frame) I
>>ever road. Had a Trek Madone 5.9 prior and you can keep it. Got rid of it
>>in less then a year. The ride, and finish are perfect. I also purchased a
>>386i and that is just as good but I got it on a deal at Excell last year,
>>I don't think they import that one anymore. It might be slightly better
>>and molded from one piece (no gluing). Don't let anyone give you that ****
>>that other frames are slightly lighter, I tried many of them and like the
>>great ride having an extra few ounces of carbon provides, never mind the
>>added safety from the stupid light bikes. Buy the look you will not be
>>disappointed.
>>

> thanks.
>
> Funny, I have a 2005 Madone 5.9 right now, had it since July 2005. I am
> hoping Look 555 will be more friendly to my 46yo body. I find Madone has a
> very short head tube so I have 30mm of spacer and zero degree stem. It also
> has rather steep 74 degree STA. Look 555 appears to have at least 25mm or
> 35mm longer head tube and all other dimensions very similar and a tiny bit
> more relaxed 73.75 STA (i.e. I get to slide ~3mm more behind BB).
>
> So does Look 555 ride better than your Madone 5.9 or if there another reason
> you got rid of Madone?

No. You hoping for something that doesn't happen. It's ridiculous to get
rid of a one year old Madone for that reason.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu