LOOK 585 price?

eddykow

Nov 29, 2009
I was road testing new bikes yesterday and after 3 great rides the sales rep says,how would you like to try a LOOK 585 team bike?(in my size 58cm) I was trying entry-level carbon bikes around 2-2400. He said it was a 2009 dealer demo,it had campy centuro rear/brakes/pedals, campy record front d'railer,fizak aliante seat, campy wheels. What a great ride! Asking 2700 cdn. Can anyone tell me if it's a good price(full warranty).thanx.

eddykow said:
I was road testing new bikes yesterday and after 3 great rides the sales rep says,how would you like to try a LOOK 585 team bike?(in my size 58cm) I was trying entry-level carbon bikes around 2-2400. He said it was a 2009 dealer demo,it had campy centuro rear/brakes/pedals, campy record front d'railer,fizak aliante seat, campy wheels. What a great ride! Asking 2700 cdn. Can anyone tell me if it's a good price(full warranty).thanx.

That's a pretty damned good price.

eddykow said:
How do campy centuro components compare with shimano. say Ultegra ?

Campy Centaur is an excellent group, easily on par with Ultegra.

FYI, the 585 is renowned for its awesomeness. It'd be tough to find a better frame, especially at that price.

I'm searching the net to find more info about this 585 and it looks to me from the paint job, that this bike is a 2008 model, not 09. The paint job was all white with black lettering, and had "team" in small black letters on the chain stays and the seat post tube. I'm starting to wonder where this bike really came from, if it's too good to be true? I'll have to find more info Mondy from the dealer.BTW the campy shifting was awesome.

eddykow said:
I'm searching the net to find more info about this 585 and it looks to me from the paint job, that this bike is a 2008 model, not 09. The paint job was all white with black lettering, and had "team" in small black letters on the chain stays and the seat post tube. I'm starting to wonder where this bike really came from, if it's too good to be true? I'll have to find more info Mondy from the dealer.BTW the campy shifting was awesome.

That paint job is the "Team" version, and it was available in 2009. I agree re: Campy shifting, but then I would: I use Campy Record......on my Look 595.

Thanx for that. Is there any other way to check the bike to see if it's legit, serial no. etc.? I'm really getting excited about this bike, I don't need a team bike but after riding it what a blast. It seemed to scream up the 6 block "hill" I road around the blocks near the bike shop, especially in comparison to the other 2 carbon bikes I had just ridden.

eddykow said:
Thanx for that. Is there any other way to check the bike to see if it's legit, serial no. etc.? I'm really getting excited about this bike, I don't need a team bike but after riding it what a blast. It seemed to scream up the 6 block "hill" I road around the blocks near the bike shop, especially in comparison to the other 2 carbon bikes I had just ridden.

Is the bike at an LBS, or would this be a private sale? Proof positive that it's legit would come from calling Look North America with the serial number. Otherwise, the frame should be lugged. It should have an HSC 5 fork. It will have come with an owner's manual inside a fabric case. Also there should be a piece of paper (mine is actually a decal) that has a graph of load vs. bending for the fork. There will also be values for stiffness, bending, and hysteresis, as well as lot number for the fork.

thanx again.I'm wondering if my back can take extended periods of the extra stretching across the frame of this bike ,compared to other compact frames with a more upright seating position.

eddykow said:
thanx again.I'm wondering if my back can take extended periods of the extra stretching across the frame of this bike ,compared to other compact frames with a more upright seating position.

You did say that you liked it when you rode it, yeah? Look frames don't have what would be considered long top tubes. They're more average in length. Their head tubes are a bit longer than the typical racing frame has, allowing a bit more of an upright position, all else being equal.

Only you can speak about your back, flexibility, and etc. It would be helpful to compare the geometries of the bike you have now with that of the 585. The 585 Optimum has a shorter top tube and a longer head tube compared to the 585 Origin or Ultra, but you didn't say that this bike was an Optimum.

eddykow said:
It's a 585 original.
Not-for-nuttin', but how good of a deal are you looking for?!?

As I've said before, I'm not the arbiter of what a person should buy/own/ride ... but, I've got to believe that $3500US would be a good price for that bike (I'm presuming that it has the current/NEWER, 2009-style shifters) before adding on any sales tax to the total out of pocket cost.

FYI. I think the 585 frame retailed for about $2700US ...

The 2009/2010 Centaur components & wheels/etc. have to retail for $1500-to-$2000US.

So, the only reason I can see why you haven't already bought the LOOK 585 bike which you've been looking at is because you are shorter than 6'0" tall ...

OR, you thought you wanted a bike with SRAM or Shimano components ...

OR, you weren't really planning to buy a Road bike ...

OR, you REALLY, REALLY weren't planning on spending THAT MUCH money.

$2700 isn't that much more than $2400 ... but, it is a lot more than $2000; so, you have to ask yourself:
HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE TO CUT BACK ON OTHER THINGS IN YOUR BUDGET TO OFFSET THAT $300/$700?

If you were truly allowing up to $2400, then this should be a no brainer -- BUY THE BIKE ... cxl your cable TV, don't buy that new pair of shoes, whatever.

If you were really thinking closer to $2000, then you should just get a pair of Campagnolo shifters (less than $200 for a pair of 2009 Veloce shifters via mail order and less on eBay ... and, less for pre-2009 Campagnolo shifters) and retrofit them on your current bike -- the 10-speed Campagnolo shifters will mate with 8-/9-speed Shimano + 10-speed SRAM. The Campagnolo shifters may be the ONLY thing you need for the coming season to give you the different feel that you were looking for in your ride ...

The shifters weren't carbon, they were metal, that's why I was wondering how do I make certain the bike is what it's suppossed to be.

eddykow said:
The shifters weren't carbon, they were metal, that's why I was wondering how do I make certain the bike is what it's suppossed to be.
Are the shifters the NEW style or the OLD style?

I've got Campagnolo shifters with both alloy and carbon levers ... the 'clear coat' on the carbon fibre levers is really a laminated layer which can become VERY VULNERABLE to peeling and subsequently become pretty fugly looking.

Regardless, whether the material of the levers is alloy or CF (or, composite in the case of the older 9-speed Mirage & Xenon levers) is really a cosmetic matter. And, other than the Xenon-based QS shifters, almost all of the internal components of Campagnolo shifters which look-alike are interchangeable (the part which cannot be interchanged is the central shaft because the ID [inner diameter] of the ball bearing in the handle body is infinitesimally larger than the ID of the bushing in the handle body of the less expensive shifters).

Are the brake calipers Campagnolo? Are they the "skeleton" style, or older?

What does the crankset look like? Is it Campagnolo Ultra Torque or something else?

How long are the crank arms?

While I consider it trivial (because it can be changed), is the handlebar width "okay" for you OR do you prefer a wider or narrower handlebar?

I'm going to get the answers to those questions tomorrow morning, but the brakes were campy but not skeltonized, I remember that. The bars could have been wider, I'm 6'2, pretty broad shoulders.

eddykow said:
All the components said CENTAUR except the front d'railer which said RECORD.
Which generation shifters does the bike have?!?

This is a more critical question than it may sound because the recent (but, "old" style) Centaur shifters which have a "QS" emblazoned on the front of the LEFT shifter would mean that the shifters are the ones based on the Xenon-mechanism ...

Now, the Xenon-based shifters SEEM to work as well, but they cannot be "rebuilt" ... that's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things since at the present time it isn't feasible to rebuild either Shimano or SRAM shifters.

However, if the shifters are from the Xenon-based, 2007-2008 generation, then 'I' would try to haggle the price down by $100 CDN/US/EUR/£/whichever you feel ...

Now, I haven't embraced the 2009-style shifters ... yet ... BECAUSE form follows function ... AND, I still haven't mounted the bar ends on my MTB handlebars AND SO I've never gotten into the habit of grabbing something vertical above the handlebars -- it may be a meaningful hand postion for you ...

I've only had my hands on the 2009-style Campagnolo shifters ONE TIME for a few seconds ... but, if I were a more active MTBer or Flat Bar rider who actively used bar ends then I have not doubt that I would love the ergonomics of the new style shifters.

If I were buying the particular LOOK 585 in question, then I would either negotiate that the deal MAKER would be for the shop to change the shifters to the current, 2009-style which has the taller "horns" if they aren't already on the bike ... OR, (as mentioned, above) haggle the price down BECAUSE the Record front derailleur suggests that the other Record parts where swapped out & replaced with the Centaur parts ...

Which begs the question:
Which style crankset does the bike have?
Mechanically, it doesn't matter which group OR generation the components come from because it's all good as far as how well the Campagnolo components function, but you shouldn't pay more for the components & DEMO frame/wheelset than their market value ...

Which is my way of walking-back my declaration that you shouldn't be waiting to jump on the deal that has been put before you AND you have been wise to post your query.

I phoned the LBS involved and asked him all those questions, he said the crank arms were 172.5 and he would check the rest of the components and get back to me. I specifically asked him what "year" the bike was and he said he would check and call me back, but didn't call yet. I will call tomorrow and see if the info is ready. I went to another LOOK dealer and he had 2010 LOOK 596 with all the latest CENTAUR components and was asking 4900cdn, couldn't get a price on a new 585 tho.

I found out today the bike is a 2008 model, still would have full warranty as a new bike. Is it still worth 2700 cdn,(proton wheels)?

eddykow said:
I found out today the bike is a 2008 model, still would have full warranty as a new bike. Is it still worth 2700 cdn,(proton wheels)?

Hell yes.