Look 585 vs Orbea orca!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by redbeach6506, Nov 14, 2006.

1. redbeach6506

redbeach6506 New Member

Hi,
    I have visited several bike shops and saw many frames discussed in this forum.
    Among top end bike, Look 585 and Orbea orca are standout to me except custom built. I enjoy current steel bike very much but like to get a bike for competitive ride. I have not ridden those bikes yet.
    What are pro and cons of those two bikes? stiffness, ride quality for longer ride, accerleration, climb ability, frame quality , etc.
    Specially, what are probelems owners of the two have experienced?

LESS expensive(I MEAN "less", ugh) frames from manufacturers(around $2500)
    are obviouly heavier(18-19lb).

I enjoy golf and am a firm believer that equipment play a minor role in performance. Can we say same to bike frame?
    What should I expect from different levels of frames? No magic for sure.
    Back pain for speed, thrill/joy and satisfaction of money well spent, or expensive showing off?? I am curious..
    THanks

Tags:

2. veloci

veloci New Member

I can only tell you about the Orca. i had one and that was one of the best bikes i have ever ridden. The ride was just perfect, not too harsh and not too soft. plenty stiff and it likes to climb. i could not find a single flaw on that frame.

the only reason i changed was timing. the 56 (57.2 TT) was a little too long for me. i looked for a 54 cm and i could not find one, then, i came across my Cervelo and it was too good of a deal to pass up. otherwise, i would be riding the Orca still. to be honest, i miss the bike.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

When you get to the uber-expensive bike frame, they're all very similar. Some are built for comfort, but some are built more for stiffness and racing.

Once you identify what your goals are, i.e. recreational riding, or racing, then that'll determine what type of frame you should be looking at.

Often people will come and say, should I buy this Pinarello or this Colnago - which one is better? I know the answer is trite, but when you're considering that level of frame, they're all good - what's important is getting a frame that FITS you properly. Make sure you get a frame that fits you properly, I don't care if you're riding the BMC Pro Machine, if it doesn't fit you, you'd be better off on something that did fit you - even if it were a Trek1500.

4. Walrus

Walrus New Member

Almost as important as fit, you may find that the "ride" could impact your decision. The Look and Orbea have different geometries, particularly around the seat and head tube angles (the Orbea has a slight sloping downtube which changes the tube dimensions). This will alter the ride characteristics. You should definitely test ride both (back to back if possible) before deciding to shell out such a lot of $$ for a bike.

Here's a review of both
    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3487

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=1914

Badkarma is right in saying that once you get to this level of bike, there's probably not a lot between them.

5. bladegeek

bladegeek New Member

www.orbea-usa.com The site has the 2007 Orca.....which is way different then the 2006 Orca.