LOOK Carbon Frame Info?

UncleVernon

Jul 3, 2007
Hello.

I recently picked up a bike with a LOOK carbon fiber frameset of which I am trying to deduce the age and model information. The decal on the bottom of the seat tube says KG, HR (which I believe is "high resistance"), and either 131 or 737, I can't tell what with the wacky font and all. All the other decals have been removed. The tubes are the gray carbon fish scale thing and the lugs (they sound like aluminum to the tap) are red. It was sold as a full bike with a full Dura Ace 7700 group.

I can post pictures later if needed, but does anyone know anything, or know where I can get more info on this thing?

Look made a Kg 181. I never had that particular one but have owned Looks before.

I thought they were stamped HM for high modulus or VHM very high modulus but I could be wrong.

The KG171 is the successor to the KG96. It was LOOK's top end frame at the time. It was produced from the early 90's until 1997-98. It was replaced by the KG271, than KG281 and in 2002, the KG381i. The KG171 was a pro level frame when it was produced. ONCE used to ride the KG171 until they switched to Giant. The current generation LOOK frames aren't much lighter but they are stiffer. The 171 used round tubes while the 271 and 281 use variable shaped tubes.

The KG171 uses what Look calls HM Carbon Kevlar. HR carbon was used on the lower end KG251 and KG131. The KG181 also uses this same HM carbon since it uses the same frame as the KG171. BTW, the KG171 uses the LDS Pro carbon fork which is different from the regular LDS fork in that the Pro has a carbon crown whereas the regular LDS for uses an aluminum crown with bonded fork legs.