Look Carbon Seatpost

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Roche, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Roche

Roche New Member

This is a quick product review of my look carbon seatpost.
    It cost me 140euro and is quite possibly the biggest waste of money EVER! The problems i had with it were as follows:
    1: It constantly slipped! This may sound silly but no matter how well cleaned it was, greased and so forth the saddle often slipped so that it was pointing up. Then I had to go to the trouble of putting the saddle back to where i wanted it that resulted in me being unsure if i had the measurement exactly the same as it was previously. You know that feeling when the bike just doesnt feel right. The way the seatpost is there are three different possible holes you can put the bolt and I use the middle one. However there is nothing like a groove of any sort to hold the setting...Its complicated but those of you who know how the seatpost works probably understand.
    2: The seatpost is now ready to be thrown out because it is inexcusably corroded after about 6 months of use. Basically where the clamp is tight on the seatpost it has eaten away at the seatpost. Is this because the clamp was too tight? While it seems like the only explanation it seems ridiculous because of the stupid clamp that comes with look carbon frames. You know the little carbon bolt that hugs the seatpost. I find it very annoying especially as i do a bit of racing abroad and it means taking off the saddle reqularly and therefore tightening the bolt regularly. Its difficult to know how tight to tighten it. I have broken it once, luckily there was a Brittish team at the race that sorted me out. Cheers Lads.

Basically the Carbon Look seatposts are a load of crap. I'm going to buy a new setpost for the upcoming season and I think i'll stay clear of carbon. Is it safe to use any other material titanuim or whatever with a carbon frame? I think i might have seen somewhere that its not.

So there you go.....thats my rant!

Tags:

2. msrw

msrw New Member

I've had a Look Carbon seatpost on my Litespeed Tuscany for the past two years and haven't had any of the problems you mention. I weigh about 175, so if there were something intrinsic to the design that would cause it to slip, I should think I would have been among the first to be affected. How much do you weigh? Unless you're extremely heavy, I'd guess there may be some defect in either the hardware or the molding of your seatpost. You may want to contact LOOK customer service.

Re the corrosion issue. Carbon fiber generates galvanic corrosion when tightly pressed against aluminum. I take it your seat post clamp is aluminum? I haven't had this problem at all, but then, my frame is titanium, which is inert enough to prevent corrosion. For the future, if you go with another carbon seatpost (and let's face it: carbon fiber seatposts are fashion NOT performance), you must either heavily grease your seatpost before installing it, or even better, coat the inside of your aluminum post clamp with a thin layer of epoxy.

3. Rudy

Rudy New Member

I have seen some reviews of these similar incidents happening on the Look seatpost. I can't remember where I'd seen them. Maybe roadbikereview.

But if it's slipping, try some hairspray.

Anyway, I was tempted to get this seatpost as well but decided against it because of the extreme cost. I found another one very similar in design at about half the price, $110. It's called BP Stealth Ergo Seatpost. You can find it at www.trisports.com or another site ...uumm... called bikeparts.net I think. The actual size and weight of this seatpost is unclear but my gues is it's around 220g and 300mm. It has 2 to 2.5 inches of fore and aft adjustments just like the LOOK.
    I may order one soon.

4. labicci

labicci New Member

I have also used the original Look Ergopost on my ti bikes for a total of about 8 years (about 2 years on a Merlin and then 6 years on the Litespeed Ultimate) with no problem at all. I have also used another Look Ergopost (25mm instead of 27.2mm) on my Look carbon bike for 4 years with no problem as well. Recently I have bought a Look Ergopost 2 for my new ti bike. This post wouldn't slip either.

I may have prefer ti posts to match the ti bikes, but couldn't find anyone that allow similar range of fore and aft adjustments.

5. funknuggets

funknuggets New Member

5k on mine and nary a scratch, no corrosion, no slippage of which you speak. I give the Look Ergo a good review.... even better than my ti seatpost on my fondy.

Chris

6. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

I did a search and it seems other member had some slippage problems with the Look posts too. Maybe, it was steel frames?

7. LachesisV

LachesisV New Member

I am looking for the Look Ergopost 2 (25mm). I would appreciate your help if you know where I can get one. Thanks.