"Look" Cleats - Little Rubber Thingies

Andrew Swan

Guest
My "Look" brand cleats each have a little rubber insert (technically speaking, a "thingy") that
squeaks when I pedal. This is starting to p*** off my fellow riders. Do I:

(a) find more tolerant people to ride with
(b) remove the little rubber thingies (does anyone/everyone else do this)
(c) work out why my feet move around when I pedal (and is this bad?)

As far as I can tell, the LRT's are there to stop you slipping A over T when walking around, but I
wear cleat covers when off the bike, so this is a non-reason in my case. Is there another reason?

TIA,

&roo

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:
: My "Look" brand cleats each have a little rubber insert (technically speaking, a "thingy") that
: squeaks when I pedal. This is starting to p*** off my fellow riders. Do I:

: (a) find more tolerant people to ride with
No.
: (b) remove the little rubber thingies (does anyone/everyone else do this)
No.
: (c) work out why my feet move around when I pedal (and is this bad?)
No. This is good.
: As far as I can tell, the LRT's are there to stop you slipping A over T when walking around, but I
: wear cleat covers when off the bike, so this is a non-reason in my case. Is there another reason?

The LRTs, as per my reckoning, dampen movement in the pedal, ie, they mediate and cushion rotational
and vertical motion. They aren't necessary for the pedal to 'work' but the do provide a more
acceptable interface between you and the bike.

I give my pedals a spray of MrSheen every few weeks to cut out any noise and it makes clipping and
releasing a slick operation. ArmorAll works fine too.

The LRTs - you could easily call them 'pads' - also provide some grip when walking around, but this
is secondary. Personally, I walk as little as possible in my road shoes to keep unnecessary wear to
a minimum.

Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:
> My "Look" brand cleats each have a little rubber insert (technically speaking, a "thingy") that
> squeaks when I pedal. This is starting to p*** off my fellow riders. Do I:

> (a) find more tolerant people to ride with
> (b) remove the little rubber thingies (does anyone/everyone else do this)
> (c) work out why my feet move around when I pedal (and is this bad?)

> As far as I can tell, the LRT's are there to stop you slipping A over T when walking around, but I
> wear cleat covers when off the bike, so this is a non-reason in my case. Is there another reason?

> TIA,

> &roo

AFAIK, the LTRs are there to provide cushioning between the pedal and the cleat.

One of my LRTs deteriorated until I eventually pulled it out of the cleat. After that the cleat
would rattle around in the pedal.

The answer is (d): get new cleats

Cheers.
--
Nick

NickZX6R wrote:
> AFAIK, the LTRs are there to provide cushioning between the pedal and the cleat.
>
> One of my LRTs deteriorated until I eventually pulled it out of the cleat. After that the cleat
> would rattle around in the pedal.
>
> The answer is (d): get new cleats
>
> Cheers.

Hmm, yes, upon inspecting the cleats closer last night (while performing a double LRT-ectomy, in
fact), I noticed that a groove had worn into the plastic of each cleat, matching the outer of the
two thin rails that join the main pedal body to the nose. Maybe it's this worn area that is
squeaking and not the LRTs. I guess I'll find out next time I go for a ride (which is a time trial
on Saturday - maybe I'll put them back just to be safe).

&roo

yeah give em a clean if you can...I use a silicon spray to stop any squeaks and wipe off any
grit/dirt that gets on them

news:uG%[email protected]...