LOOK Cleats

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 87Trek, Jun 29, 2006.

1. 87Trek

87Trek New Member

I just got new LOOK pedals (Keo-Classic) and a new pair of Nike Poggio III shoes (that came with a sticker that seems to go on the bottom of the shoe to protect the cleat). I was just wondering what is the best position to install the cleats on the shoes. And do I need to grease the screws that hold the cleats on? Sorry if these are basic questions but I am relatively new to cycling.

Tags:

2. florida_hybrid

florida_hybrid New Member

I believe the sticker is used for when you replace the cleats, the sticker goes around the current cleat to "save" the exact position so that the new cleat can be placed with out any adjustment issues.

I am only looking to just start using clipless, but from what I've heard the best way to find the cleat position is to have someone at a shop to help you fit them and fit you on the bike with them.. even if you don't want to take bike in there at least take your shoes and cleats to a shop to have them put the cleats in a good starting point. - just a newbies input here...:)

3. 87Trek

87Trek New Member

I dont think the sticker is for replacing the cleats. The LOOK pedals gave me a sticker package to replace the cleats and Nike gave me a different sticker. The NIKE Sticker is exactly the same size as the cleat, so using it as a replacing thing just wouldnt work. But thanks for the advice about taking it to a bike shop.

4. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

The sticker is actually for cleat replacement. Take out the center part and put it over the cleat onto the bottom of the shoe, remove the old cleat, and place the new cleat on the shoe right in the space defined by the sticker. Its pretty handy. No sticker on the bottom of the shoe to protect the cleat.

5. AussieRob

AussieRob New Member

1) yes use grease

2) throw out the screws the cleats came with they suck

Have fun

6. 87Trek

87Trek New Member

Here are some pics to help explain what I am talking about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sticker is on the left.

7. OscarC

OscarC New Member

Since your new to cycling, you should know that you will cause knee injury and pain if you don't place your cleats correctly. Follow instructions on here.

http://www.bikenow.com.au/u-fit/shoes.htm

8. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

The Nike sticker is a protector for the carbon sole (may also be used as a guide when replacing cleats).

The Look Keo sticker is for cleat replacement. U use them when your replacing the current ones. The instruction is drawn on the side of the stickers - a no brainer really. (see pic)

The best position for me is to have the centerline of the spindle directly under the ball of the foot.

Yes you grease the screws.

Also, the grey cleats have an angular freedom of 4.5 degrees (9 degrees with the red cleats) making them easier to find a satisfactory mounting location. If you are just replacing non-KEO looks, look recommended to lower the saddle height by 5mm since KEOs have a lower profile.

9. rodenmg

rodenmg New Member

The cleat can slip on some carbon soled shoes. It's possible the Nike sticker is there to help prevent the cleat from moving under pressure. The Look instructions that comes with replacement cleats even warns users to do so even though they don't come with such a sticker.