Look Cleats

Graham

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C40A9D.90066D20 Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable

Does anyone on here who uses Look cleats, remove the little
black rubber = thing in the midle of the cleat ? If so what
is the difference ?

TIA

Graham ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C40A9D.90066D20 Content-
Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META
content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does anyone on here who
uses Look = cleats, remove=20 the little black rubber
thing in the midle of the cleat ? If so what is =
the=20 difference ?</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial
size=3D2>Graham</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C40A9D.90066D20--

>Does anyone on here who uses Look cleats, remove the little
>black rubber = thing in the midle of the cleat ? If so what
>is the difference ?

No - that's the thing, when worn flat, is supposed to be
telling you you need new cleats - if I recall correctly. But
I could be wrong ;-)

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune h*$el*$$e**-
nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:55:10 +0000 (UTC), Graham wrote:

> Does anyone on here who uses Look cleats, remove the
> little black rubber thing in the midle of the cleat ? If
> so what is the difference ?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

I don't remove it, thinking it was there to provide at
least a tiny bit of grip on slippery floors. Could be
wrong though.
--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "His mother should have
thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West

I always thoughth the Little Rubber Thingy (tm) was to give
additional gription on diesel soaked streets and wooden
staircases and. And things.

But this is probably wrong too.

Look cleats are irredeemably worn out when they unclip
themselves when accelerating away from the lights...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

>>Does anyone on here who uses Look cleats, remove the
>>little black rubber = thing in the midle of the cleat ? If
>>so what is the difference ?
>
> No - that's the thing, when worn flat, is supposed to be
> telling you you need new cleats - if I recall correctly.
> But I could be wrong ;-)

You're thinking of the little hole in the curved bit at the
front of the cleat. When that's disappeared then it's time
to replace them. I've managed to break a Look cleat by not
replacing them at this point before, don't want to repeat
the experience.

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
----------------

Graham wrote:

> Does anyone on here who uses Look cleats, remove the
> little black rubber thing in the midle of the cleat ? If
> so what is the difference ?

I slip and slid all over the place when I'm walking on my
Look cleats, I hate to think what would happen if I took out
the grip... I'd just leave it in, unless you're *really*
anal about weight saving... ;-)

Cheers,

--

Graham wrote:
> Does anyone on here who uses Look cleats, remove the
> little black rubber thing in the midle of the cleat ? If
> so what is the difference

The little black rubber thing provides a buffer between
pedal and cleat to prevent play and also to add some
friction to the float, and possibly reduce wear as well.

I like as little friction as possible so I tried removing
them. Good result with brand new (PP396) pedals - made float
nice and free* - but eventually caused annoying clicking on
the upstroke as the pedal surfaces wore. Shave just a bit
off for a compromise.

The grip when walking business is probably a red herring
because the things are so small.

The wear indicators are the little holes in the cleats.

* not everyone will like the skating-on-ice feel.

~PB

>I slip and slid all over the place when I'm walking on my
>Look cleats, I hate to think what would happen if I took
>out the grip... I'd just leave it in, unless you're
>*really* anal about weight saving... ;-)

Kool Kovers. With Kool Kovers I *don't* slip at all in Look
cleats on my road shoes

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C40AAE.3D9F16C0 Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]... Does anyone
on here who uses Look cleats, remove the little black =
rubber thing in the midle of the cleat ? If so what is the
difference ?

TIA

Graham

Thanks for the deluge of replies. I knew that they were
not wear = indicators and as I already use KoolKovers they
were not for grip. The = float idea seems most likely.

Graham ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C40AAE.3D9F16C0 Content-
Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META
content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px;
PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT:
#000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DV>"Graham" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">gtgelliott@hotmai-
lDOT.com</A>&g= t;=20 wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:c34-
g4e$d7v$1@herc= ules.btinternet.com</A>...</DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does anyone on here who
uses Look = cleats, remove=20 the little black
rubber thing in the midle of the cleat ? If so what
= is the=20 difference ?</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Graham</FONT></DIV>
<DXI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DXII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for the deluge
of replies. I = knew that=20 they were not wear
indicators and as I already use KoolKovers they =
were not=20 for grip. The float idea seems most
likely.</FONT></DIV>
<DXIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DXIV><FONT face=3DArial = size=3D2>Graham</FONT></DIV><-
/BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C40AAE.3D9F16C0--

[snipped...]

> Kool Kovers. With Kool Kovers I *don't* slip at all in
> Look cleats on my road shoes

Kool Kovers? Sounds like something a trendy 12 year old
would wear... ;-)

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
----------------
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
--
Wernher von Braun

news:[email protected]... <snip>
> Look cleats are irredeemably worn out when they unclip
> themselves when accelerating away from the lights...

I once had a pair that wore in a manner that meant I could
clip in but clipping out became harder and harder. After
my second ever clipless-induced fall I decided that I
should probably replace them. Never did work out how it
happened though!

Jon

Helen Ms Kewl S wrote:

> I was introduced to the Joy of Kool Kovers by the NG. They
> are excellent and worth every penny.
>
> See http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?rng_ID=14

It seems that the ownership of these things "Makes walking
into cafe's easier". Cafe's what? Doors? Tables? Pet
unicorn? Eh? EH?

--

Dave Larrington pp Lynne Truss

In article <[email protected]>,
ptangerine {remove_fruit}@biggs.tc says...
> The MD ones won't be exactly the same things. Dunno if as
> good. Kool Kovers are rubber and have a handy tab for
> removal.

Mike's ones are rubber, but they have no tab. A tab
would make it easier to remove I admit, but it's not a
major problem.

For £2 though guess it's worth getting the better ones.

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during