LOOK clipless pedals and cleats trouble

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by petegroh, Oct 26, 2006.

1. petegroh

petegroh New Member

so i decide to buy a pair of wellgo clipless pedals off of ebay. they look pretty. they look nice. they came with red LOOK style cleat plates.

but i can't seem to get the cleats that came with them into the pedals! they get on my cycling shoes fine but they won't clip in. What's worse is when i look at the cleats themselves and put them above the pedals, i can't figure out how they could even clip in or out in the first place. Is there some secret I don't know??? plz help, i want to get some good miles in before it starts snowing here in NY...

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

I suspect that the cleats you got are actually NOT compatible with those pedals. The general way that LOOK (and LOOK clones) work is that you catch the little toe tab of the cleat under the front part of the pedal then press down with the heel to clip in.

Search the Wellgo site for information on pedal/cleat compatibility.

www.wellgo.com

3. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

I've heard this before on roadbikereview.com I think that the pedals ended up on eBay for this reason. Sounds like a production snafoo. :rolleyes:

4. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

Sometimes when you mount Look style cleats on road shoes with a really drastic sole curvature (when viewed sideways) at the ball-of-the-foot area, they bend so much when mounted following the curvature that it is impossible to clip them into the pedals. If this is the case, the remedy is to place a washer between the shoe and the cleat at the front mounting bolt.

5. petegroh

petegroh New Member

alright. problem dealt with. however for the money i've ended up spending i should have just bought shimano pedals and saved myself the hassle!

thanks for the help. figured out i need a metal cleat designed for SPD-Rs which are rarely made now. but i got my hands on a pair for pretty cheap, considering.

oh well. at least now i can actually put the pedals on and get on the road!