Look cx6 vs. Dura-Ace SPD-SL

frenk

Jun 28, 2003
Look CX6 vs. Dura-Ace SPD-SL...
I can get them at the same price and cannot decide... opinions please!

TIA

Francesco

frenk said:

TIA

Francesco

Dura ACE SPD-SL, or save some cash and get Ultegra SPD-SL (30gram difference between DA and Ultegra).

frenk said:

Have you ridden either system before (LOOK vs Shimano)? I've been riding LOOK for years and am currently using a CX6. I love it. I have, however, never ridden the Shimano system.

Downside to a LOOK system is cleat wear when/if you need to walk on them, as well as moderate difficulty doing so. Happens so rarely for me that its not an issue at all in my experience. Shimano supposedly makes this a bit easier/better. I have also heard that those who go from LOOK to Shimano at first feel the Shimano to be a bit looser floating-wise, but that it then becomes preferred. This here would be preference, so maybe see if you can test ride each at a LBS?

Good pedal systems either way.

graf zeppelin said:
Have you ridden either system before (LOOK vs Shimano)? I've been riding LOOK for years and am currently using a CX6. I love it. I have, however, never ridden the Shimano system.

Downside to a LOOK system is cleat wear when/if you need to walk on them, as well as moderate difficulty doing so. Happens so rarely for me that its not an issue at all in my experience. Shimano supposedly makes this a bit easier/better. I have also heard that those who go from LOOK to Shimano at first feel the Shimano to be a bit looser floating-wise, but that it then becomes preferred. This here would be preference, so maybe see if you can test ride each at a LBS?

Good pedal systems either way.
I haven't ridden Look so casn't comment on the CX6. However, I changed to the SPD-SL last year. They're very good, great float and good engage mech. I've used Ultegra and Dura-ace - very little difference between them, the dura-ace version seemed to have a smoother engagement-dis-engagement.

have you thought about the new Look Keo, I hear they're very good and very light, not sure how much though.

gooders said:
I haven't ridden Look so casn't comment on the CX6. However, I changed to the SPD-SL last year. They're very good, great float and good engage mech. I've used Ultegra and Dura-ace - very little difference between them, the dura-ace version seemed to have a smoother engagement-dis-engagement.

have you thought about the new Look Keo, I hear they're very good and very light, not sure how much though.
Better yet, buy the Performancebike.com Forte Magnesium pedals that weigh 50g less than the Look CX-6ti! If you are a Performance member, they're like $90 or less.

I have both the CX-6ti and the Performance... I am neutral on which I use. But I sure care about the $200 difference...

gooders said:

Nice on the Keo there. I looked them up and I may need to seek out a pair of those at some point soon. :cool: I'm also going to give the DA system a try as well before I get anything new. I dont think anyone could go wrong with the CX6, CX6Ti or DA. Even my older LOOK pedals were nice (although they feel like bricks now in comparison). Cant really comment on the Forte's but hey, the price sounds nice.