look keo classic

fusion5151

Oct 18, 2009
Hey i am new to this forum in the perpective of posting but i'm a vid reader of the forum. I had a question about the Look KeO classic pedal's. i am new to road cycling and would like to invest in some clipless pedals? would this pedal be good for a beginner? are there any other pedals i should look out for that would be ideal for me? is there any good inexpensive shoes for a beginner that is compatible with the Look Keo Pedals? Thanks and i appriciate everyone that can contribute their expertise in cycling. Thanks!!

I agree Keo Classic is as good of a first choice as any for a road pedal (I use Keo Sprint). You might want to consider the more general issue of whether you want double-sided or single-sided pedals, where the latter requires you to flip the pedal over to engage. Some find double-sided easier.

For shoes, I am still using my first ones from 4 years ago, which were the cheapest I could find at the time. I picked a low-end Shimano shoe, and it is still working fine (cost around US$60). An important factor when picking a shoe is to make sure it accomodates the cleat that goes with the pedal..

Thanks for your imput.. i think i will try out the Look KeO Classic or maybe even the sprint depending on the pricing and the advancement in the technology.. as far as the shoes i think i will follow your choice and go with some inexpensive shoes since i am relatively new to clipless ( but im sure im going to love it).. I'm going to try and search for the triangle cleat pattern to go with the Look Keo pedals. Thanks for the imput and i will post updates of how the experience goes.

nbfman said:
I agree Keo Classic is as good of a first choice as any for a road pedal (I use Keo Sprint). You might want to consider the more general issue of whether you want double-sided or single-sided pedals, where the latter requires you to flip the pedal over to engage. Some find double-sided easier.

For shoes, I am still using my first ones from 4 years ago, which were the cheapest I could find at the time. I picked a low-end Shimano shoe, and it is still working fine (cost around US$60). An important factor when picking a shoe is to make sure it accomodates the cleat that goes with the pedal..

fusion5151 said:
i think i will try out the Look KeO Classic or maybe even the sprint depending on the pricing and the advancement in the technology
I also spent some time comparing. If it is of help, as a user, the only important difference I could see was that Sprints could be adjusted to higher tensions, in case you like strong engagement between cleat and pedal. I guess weight, too, was different - 130g for Sprint vs 140g for Classic - though I did not care about this point. The advertising blurb said something about Classic being a cost-down version of Sprint, where savings were made in the finish and axle quality. Sprints were priced around 50% higher and came in a different color selection than Classic. There was also a Keo Easy model, which is the Classic with no tension adjustment. It was the lowest in price and might be worth considering, too, if you like the Keo system.

Thanks for the imput.. i appriciate it! I think i will go with the classic but if i can get a good price for the sprint i may very well go with those.. when i get the pedals and shoes i will post back to see you how everything went. thanks again!

the keo classic is a fine pedal for the price

do look at some of the crank bros - e.g. the smartie that is a similar price, but don't be surprised if you don't find anything better than those Looks