Look Keo Cleats

Ruaraidh

Guest
I purchased a new road bike in January and I have already gone through
one Look Keo cleat. The cleat I've gone through is on my puddle foot
(is that the right term?) and I was new to road biking when I got the
bike so I am not too concerned. Most of the wear took place in the
first month.

I am therefore looking to buy a new cleat and it seems that I have a
few options available to me. Anyone able to explain the difference
between the following (pros and cons of each):

Red 7 degree float
Black fixed - no float
Grey 4.5 degree float

Some also have anti-slip as well. How good is the anti-slip?

Cheers

On May 2, 11:12 am, Ruaraidh <[email protected]> wrote:
> I purchased a new road bike in January and I have already gone through
> one Look Keo cleat.  The cleat I've gone through is on my puddle foot
> (is that the right term?) and I was new to road biking when I got the
> bike so I am not too concerned.  Most of the wear took place in the
> first month.
>
> I am therefore looking to buy a new cleat and it seems that I have a
> few options available to me.  Anyone able to explain the difference
> between the following (pros and cons of each):
>
> Red 7 degree float
> Black fixed - no float
> Grey 4.5 degree float

Degrees of float is entirely a personal preference. If you have done
much moutain biking, you are probably used to a fair amount of float.
The only way to tell if you like zero float is to try it. One downside
of low to zero float pedals is it is harder to dial in the cleat
adjustment, as you have to be more precise.

> Some also have anti-slip as well.  How good is the anti-slip?

I don't know, as I have not used Look for many years.

Joseph

Super stuff. I have been using 4.5 degree float so I may up it and
try the 7 degree. Anything that makes the clip in slightly easier can
only be a good thing.

Cheers

On May 2, 11:32 am, Ruaraidh <[email protected]> wrote:
> Super stuff. I have been using 4.5 degree float so I may up it and
> try the 7 degree. Anything that makes the clip in slightly easier can
> only be a good thing.

Float shouldn't make clip in palpably easier, that's more about
technique. Lowering spring tension can ease that somewhat, but can
come with the danger of a pull out, so find your balance. If your
knees aren't asking for more float, getting what you have right now,
gets you a spare cleat. That's the cheapskate in me thinking.

On May 2, 6:32 pm, Ruaraidh <[email protected]> wrote:
> Super stuff.  I have been using 4.5 degree float so I may up it and
> try the 7 degree.  Anything that makes the clip in slightly easier can
> only be a good thing.
>
> Cheers

Float won't affect how hard it is to clip in. That's due to spring
tension on the pedal, which can be adjusted. Too loose and you might
come out by accident. Try different tensions to see what you like. In
general bigger heavier riders will want higher tension.

By dialing in the cleat, I meant adjusting it's position on the shoe.
With zero float you need to get the cleat lined up just right so your
foot is in the position you find comfortable in terms of toe-in or toe-
out. With float, the cleats don't have to be so precisely positioned,
as the float makes up for it and your foot can toe-in or out as you
please.

I like zero float, but it can take time to get the cleat positioned
just right.

Joseph

On May 2, 7:17 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 2, 11:32 am, Ruaraidh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Super stuff.  I have been using 4.5 degree float so I may up it and
> > try the 7 degree.  Anything that makes the clip in slightly easier can
> > only be a good thing.

> Float shouldn't make clip in palpably easier, that's more about
> technique. Lowering spring tension can ease that somewhat, but can
> come with the danger of a pull out, so find your balance. If your
> knees aren't asking for more float, getting what you have right now,
> gets you a spare cleat. That's the cheapskate in me thinking.

What he said!

Joseph