Look Keo Cleats

hjbiker43

Aug 14, 2006
I have the red Look Keo cleats with the gripping tabs on the bottom. Clipping into these cleats is a major problem (clipping out is very easy). I never had this problem with the Delta's. I'm wondering if it's the grips. I was at the LBS today and noticed the Keo's they had in stock did not have the grips. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe I could just pull the tabs off and use cleat covers for walking.

My experience is that keos have become a bit harder to engage with since they intoduced these gripping rubber patches on the cleats. The patches eventually tear off the cleat anyway.
The earlier ones without the rubber grips are preferable for ease of use IMO. I'm trying to find these and, if I can't, in fututre I will strip them off new cleats with my pocket knife.

To my mind it's a bit silly really. We spend 99% of time in cycling shoes actually cycling. Why should that be compromised for the sake of the 1% of the time spent at the cafe?

The older style Keo cleats, the ones without the rubber pads, can easily be had on eBay and elsewhere in the internet tubes.

I agree with Tafi in that I don't think the addition of the rubber pads is a worthy addition. Cleat covers are easy to carry and put on if you intend to do any walking around. I use 'em, if for no other reason than to extend the life of my cleats. Look put the rubber pads on as result of feedback from folks that do walk around without cleat covers on.

I prefer the newer KeO cleats with the rubber tabs, find they give me no problem and do provide the advantage of longer wear. Plus they are not as slippery to walk on; the ones without the tabs can be quite slippery when new. YMMV.