"Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo"

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Read this following article from The Guardian.
    Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1150361,00.html

    The Netherlands has a unique bicycle culture, higher population density, smaller distances and flatter terrain than here. Useful in Australia?

    I think not, it's hard enough for cyclists to keep senses alert.
    If you're a cyclist, then combine the following with Australias aggressive car culture:
    -steer the bike,
    -watch for peds,
    -ring bell when necessary,
    -watching speed via the bike computer,
    -watching for moving traffic, opening doors,
    -third eye on rear of head doing the same.:rolleyes:
    -ESP, useful for dealing with inattentive drivers,
    -ears evaluating subtle and not-so-subtle changes in noise.

    Bernard Uyttendaele believes its to be a practical application of Bluetooth technology. Anyway, many of us would think its just another example of WOFTAM technology.

    Tags:

  2. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    ESP? Is it "electronic stability program" (as in modern cars)? ;)

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Yeah, we wish, along with crumple zones and airbags on the head stem or forks.

    More like:
    "......ESP is most commonly called the "sixth sense." It is sensory information that an individual receives which comes beyond the ordinary five senses sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. It can provide the individual with information of the present, past, and future; as it seems to originate in a second, or alternate reality...."

    http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/e/esp_extrasensory_perception.html

    (Some cyclists do profess having such supernatural powers:D)

  4. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Since I utterly lack ESP, I wish my bike had side airbags!

    Can hang tyres on the sides though (like tugboats). Imagine how can one bump off others with them in a race without hurting oneself. :)

  5. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Read this following article from The Guardian. Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo:
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1150361,00.html

    Not another "browsing the 'net while riding" thread! ;-)

    I want one of those little lsd screens, I mean lcd screens <set flashbackcount:=2> and a dvd player
    on my bike. The scenery along my commute is soo boring - I'd love to be able to watch Arnie blast a
    few bad guys instead of spending my time yelling at Ute/Excel drivers...

    What about a bike-powered PlayStation or XBox? Microwave, to prepare lunch while on the roll?
    Cappucino machine - just pedal to froth!

    Actually, does anyone remember the guy who travels around the USA on a recumbent with a trailer and
    has full-time internet access with an eyepiece screen that flips over one eye and small "shorthand"
    keyboards on his handlebars? I think he used to write for Wired magazine about hacking and
    cyberculture or something similar? Pedal write pedal write dodge Dodge pedal write check satellite
    dish pedal clean eyepiece pedal play Solitaire pedal rebuild kernel swerve around pot hole reboot
    pedal, etc, etc..

    hippy

  6. Stu

    Stu Guest

    > Actually, does anyone remember the guy who travels around the USA on a recumbent with a trailer
    > and has full-time internet access with an eyepiece screen that flips over one eye and small
    > "shorthand" keyboards on his handlebars? I think he used to write for Wired magazine about hacking
    > and cyberculture or something similar? Pedal write pedal write dodge Dodge pedal write check
    > satellite dish pedal clean eyepiece pedal play Solitaire pedal rebuild kernel swerve around pot
    > hole reboot pedal, etc, etc..
    >
    > hippy

    I think this is the guy you are talking about, but at about $1.2 million I wont be getting one
    soon(sure it would be a lot cheaper to build now) It has a 286 with a 40 meg hard drive, anyone
    remember those??? lol

    >Nomadic Research Labs "Behemoth" bike is described on it's website website
    as a ".computerized >recumbent bicycle...autonomous mobile information and communication platform...
    powered and propelled >by human and solar power, linked via satellite with global information
    networks". Its creator, Stephen
    >Roberts, some years ago peddled across the USA, wirelessly transmitting
    trip reports typed out on specially >designed, handlebar-mounted keyboards, while he was
    simultaneously receiving GPS and e-mail information >viewed on a bicycle helmet-mounted wearable
    computer heads-up display http://microship.com/bike/behemoth/why.html
    http://www.robots.org/images/NASA_AmesTechSpacePavilion/Bike.jpg

  7. Hammer

    Hammer Guest

    Staying away from this!! Moving on.... But I will add.

    After completing 50km and 95 km rides. There is so much sweat and crap on my glasses, I cant see how
    head up might be practical anyway. Not over long rides. Everything would just start looking like
    colour splotches.

    Time will tell.

    Hows it go Peter .......

    [Rushing headlong: "out of control with my HUDs on"- and there ain't no stopping] [and there's
    nothing you can do about it at all]

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...
    > "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Read this following article from The Guardian. Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo:
    > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1150361,00.html
    >
    > Not another "browsing the 'net while riding" thread! ;-)
    >
    > I want one of those little lsd screens, I mean lcd screens <set flashbackcount:=2> and a dvd
    > player on my bike. The scenery along my commute is soo boring - I'd love to be able to watch Arnie
    > blast a few bad guys instead of spending my time yelling at Ute/Excel drivers...
    >
    > What about a bike-powered PlayStation or XBox? Microwave, to prepare lunch while on the roll?
    > Cappucino machine - just pedal to froth!
    >
    > Actually, does anyone remember the guy who travels around the USA on a recumbent with a trailer
    > and has full-time internet access with an eyepiece screen that flips over one eye and small
    > "shorthand" keyboards on his handlebars? I think he used to write for Wired magazine about hacking
    > and cyberculture or something similar? Pedal write pedal write dodge Dodge pedal write check
    > satellite dish pedal clean eyepiece pedal play Solitaire pedal rebuild kernel swerve around pot
    > hole reboot pedal, etc, etc..
    >
    > hippy

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think this is the guy you are talking about, but at about $1.2 million I wont be getting one
    > soon(sure it would be a lot cheaper to build now) It has a 286 with a 40 meg hard drive, anyone
    > remember those??? lol

    Yep, that's the guy. What a cool idea! I reckon that $1.2mil would be substantially less with some
    more modern tech as well as having a design already availble. I might see if the local 'bent
    manufacturers are interested in sponsoring 'this' particular geek around Oz doing the same thing ;-)

    hippy

  9. hippy wrote:

    > Yep, that's the guy. What a cool idea! I reckon that $1.2mil would be substantially less with
    > some more modern tech as well as having a design already availble. I might see if the local
    > 'bent manufacturers are interested in sponsoring 'this' particular geek around Oz doing the same
    > thing ;-)

    It actually had some grunt machines on there at one time (4?).

    But did you notice the weight of the thing?

    And this guy earnt his living by writing as he went around.

  10. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Uuuugh!! That's an appalling concept. It's bad enough trying to get drivers to pay attention on the road without trying to mimic their insane, selfish, immature behaviour. About 15 years ago there wasn't a mobile phone in sight, but now for some unknown mystery of human nature every single banal idiot with a car seems to think that they're sooooo important that they must be contacted at every second of every day. I mean, they're flat out attempting to do two of those tasks you listed. That is, "steering the vehicle" and "watching their speed". You can forget about hoping they might be able to do any of the others. And then they think they have a capacity to talk on the phone at the same time???? Yaaaaaa!!!!!!

    Boycott Orange I say. This is stupid.