"Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo"

cfsmtb

Apr 11, 2003
Read this following article from The Guardian.
Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1150361,00.html

The Netherlands has a unique bicycle culture, higher population density, smaller distances and flatter terrain than here. Useful in Australia?

I think not, it's hard enough for cyclists to keep senses alert.
If you're a cyclist, then combine the following with Australias aggressive car culture:
-steer the bike,
-watch for peds,
-ring bell when necessary,
-watching speed via the bike computer,
-watching for moving traffic, opening doors,
-third eye on rear of head doing the same.:rolleyes:
-ESP, useful for dealing with inattentive drivers,
-ears evaluating subtle and not-so-subtle changes in noise.

Bernard Uyttendaele believes its to be a practical application of Bluetooth technology. Anyway, many of us would think its just another example of WOFTAM technology.

ESP? Is it "electronic stability program" (as in modern cars)? ;)

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Read this following article from The Guardian.
Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1150361,00.html

The Netherlands has a unique bicycle culture, higher population density, smaller distances and flatter terrain than here. Useful in Australia?

I think not, it's hard enough for cyclists to keep senses alert.
If you're a cyclist, then combine the following with Australias aggressive car culture:
-steer the bike,
-watch for peds,
-ring bell when necessary,
-watching speed via the bike computer,
-watching for moving traffic, opening doors,
-third eye on rear of head doing the same.:rolleyes:
-ESP, useful for dealing with inattentive drivers,
-ears evaluating subtle and not-so-subtle changes in noise.

Bernard Uyttendaele believes its to be a practical application of Bluetooth technology. Anyway, many of us would think its just another example of WOFTAM technology.

Originally posted by amirm
ESP? Is it "electronic stability program" (as in modern cars)? ;)

Yeah, we wish, along with crumple zones and airbags on the head stem or forks.

More like:
"......ESP is most commonly called the "sixth sense." It is sensory information that an individual receives which comes beyond the ordinary five senses sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. It can provide the individual with information of the present, past, and future; as it seems to originate in a second, or alternate reality...."

http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/e/esp_extrasensory_perception.html

(Some cyclists do profess having such supernatural powers:D)

Since I utterly lack ESP, I wish my bike had side airbags!

Can hang tyres on the sides though (like tugboats). Imagine how can one bump off others with them in a race without hurting oneself. :)

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Yeah, we wish, along with crumple zones and airbags on the head stem or forks.

More like:
"......ESP is most commonly called the "sixth sense." It is sensory information that an individual receives which comes beyond the ordinary five senses sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. It can provide the individual with information of the present, past, and future; as it seems to originate in a second, or alternate reality...."

http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/e/esp_extrasensory_perception.html

(Some cyclists do profess having such supernatural powers:D)

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Read this following article from The Guardian. Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1150361,00.html

Not another "browsing the 'net while riding" thread! ;-)

I want one of those little lsd screens, I mean lcd screens <set flashbackcount:=2> and a dvd player
on my bike. The scenery along my commute is soo boring - I'd love to be able to watch Arnie blast a
few bad guys instead of spending my time yelling at Ute/Excel drivers...

What about a bike-powered PlayStation or XBox? Microwave, to prepare lunch while on the roll?
Cappucino machine - just pedal to froth!

Actually, does anyone remember the guy who travels around the USA on a recumbent with a trailer and
has full-time internet access with an eyepiece screen that flips over one eye and small "shorthand"
keyboards on his handlebars? I think he used to write for Wired magazine about hacking and
cyberculture or something similar? Pedal write pedal write dodge Dodge pedal write check satellite
dish pedal clean eyepiece pedal play Solitaire pedal rebuild kernel swerve around pot hole reboot
pedal, etc, etc..

hippy

> Actually, does anyone remember the guy who travels around the USA on a recumbent with a trailer
> and has full-time internet access with an eyepiece screen that flips over one eye and small
> "shorthand" keyboards on his handlebars? I think he used to write for Wired magazine about hacking
> and cyberculture or something similar? Pedal write pedal write dodge Dodge pedal write check
> satellite dish pedal clean eyepiece pedal play Solitaire pedal rebuild kernel swerve around pot
> hole reboot pedal, etc, etc..
>
> hippy

I think this is the guy you are talking about, but at about $1.2 million I wont be getting one
soon(sure it would be a lot cheaper to build now) It has a 286 with a 40 meg hard drive, anyone
remember those??? lol

>Nomadic Research Labs "Behemoth" bike is described on it's website website
as a ".computerized >recumbent bicycle...autonomous mobile information and communication platform...
powered and propelled >by human and solar power, linked via satellite with global information
networks". Its creator, Stephen
>Roberts, some years ago peddled across the USA, wirelessly transmitting
trip reports typed out on specially >designed, handlebar-mounted keyboards, while he was
simultaneously receiving GPS and e-mail information >viewed on a bicycle helmet-mounted wearable
computer heads-up display http://microship.com/bike/behemoth/why.html
http://www.robots.org/images/NASA_AmesTechSpacePavilion/Bike.jpg

Staying away from this!! Moving on.... But I will add.

After completing 50km and 95 km rides. There is so much sweat and **** on my glasses, I cant see how
head up might be practical anyway. Not over long rides. Everything would just start looking like
colour splotches.

Time will tell.

Hows it go Peter .......

[Rushing headlong: "out of control with my HUDs on"- and there ain't no stopping] [and there's
nothing you can do about it at all]

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:alhZb.67547$Wa.55143@news-
server.bigpond.net.au...
> "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Read this following article from The Guardian. Look, no hands: a phone-bike combo:
> > http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1150361,00.html
>
> Not another "browsing the 'net while riding" thread! ;-)
>
> I want one of those little lsd screens, I mean lcd screens <set flashbackcount:=2> and a dvd
> player on my bike. The scenery along my commute is soo boring - I'd love to be able to watch Arnie
> blast a few bad guys instead of spending my time yelling at Ute/Excel drivers...
>
> What about a bike-powered PlayStation or XBox? Microwave, to prepare lunch while on the roll?
> Cappucino machine - just pedal to froth!
>
> Actually, does anyone remember the guy who travels around the USA on a recumbent with a trailer
> and has full-time internet access with an eyepiece screen that flips over one eye and small
> "shorthand" keyboards on his handlebars? I think he used to write for Wired magazine about hacking
> and cyberculture or something similar? Pedal write pedal write dodge Dodge pedal write check
> satellite dish pedal clean eyepiece pedal play Solitaire pedal rebuild kernel swerve around pot
> hole reboot pedal, etc, etc..
>
> hippy

"stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think this is the guy you are talking about, but at about $1.2 million I wont be getting one
> soon(sure it would be a lot cheaper to build now) It has a 286 with a 40 meg hard drive, anyone
> remember those??? lol

Yep, that's the guy. What a cool idea! I reckon that $1.2mil would be substantially less with some
more modern tech as well as having a design already availble. I might see if the local 'bent
manufacturers are interested in sponsoring 'this' particular geek around Oz doing the same thing ;-)

hippy

hippy wrote:
>
> Yep, that's the guy. What a cool idea! I reckon that $1.2mil would be substantially less with
> some more modern tech as well as having a design already availble. I might see if the local
> 'bent manufacturers are interested in sponsoring 'this' particular geek around Oz doing the same
> thing ;-)

It actually had some grunt machines on there at one time (4?).

But did you notice the weight of the thing?

And this guy earnt his living by writing as he went around.

Uuuugh!! That's an appalling concept. It's bad enough trying to get drivers to pay attention on the road without trying to mimic their insane, selfish, immature behaviour. About 15 years ago there wasn't a mobile phone in sight, but now for some unknown mystery of human nature every single banal idiot with a car seems to think that they're sooooo important that they must be contacted at every second of every day. I mean, they're flat out attempting to do two of those tasks you listed. That is, "steering the vehicle" and "watching their speed". You can forget about hoping they might be able to do any of the others. And then they think they have a capacity to talk on the phone at the same time???? Yaaaaaa!!!!!!

Boycott Orange I say. This is stupid.