Which pedals would you get

• Look

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Campy

Votes: 115 90.6%
  • Speedplay

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters
What is the 'ice cube feeling?' Do the new zeros have problems with dirt or just the x series?

I find it interesting that the poll says 8 for Look, 3 for Campy, and 9 for speedplay... but all the speedplay people are giving comment....

Just an observation....

I used Looks for 7 years, but changed to Speedplay (X-2's) last Winter and I think they are superb. Yeah they felt like 'Ice-cubes' for a couple of weeks but now they feel 100% natural (more natural than having your feet fixed). I'm sold.
I also used to ride with my saddle a little low when using Look pedals - I found that raising the saddle caused me knee problems / didn't feel 'right' (felt like I was pedalling with the outside of my foot sometimes). Since changing to Speedplay I've been able to raise my saddle considerably (and I'm talking on top of the change in distance from pedal spindle to ball of foot), and my position feels much better.

Speedplay X3 is the only clipless pedals I've ever used. Very easy entry/exit, no stupid tension adjustment. The cleat requires routine cleaning and lubricating, though. Also, remember to buy the cleat covers (coffee cup caps) You don't want to walk with those cleats :)

I've ridden all three brands and both models of Speedplay's (X's and Zeros). I like the zero's myself, because of the very "free" feeling to the float and the adjustability of the float.

Between Shimano and Look, the Shimano's are marginally lighter, the cleat is easier to walk in, and the float is a little less restricted. To me they seem to be a little easier to get into as well.

But Speedplay's, for me, are far and away better. Yeah, the cleat may be a little heavier - but ask yourself this: does it really matter???

Thanks for the replies... I ended up getting a set of Dura Ace 7410's... The old SPD style... the price was right... If I don't like them, I can always get something different.

I like Looks (396) I've been riding and racing them for the last two years, but I really, really love my new Coombe Pros. They have got to be the best designed, simple, sturdy, well-made bicycle object d'art I have ever seen. Well, maybe next to my OCLV frame... Check them out at www.coombe.com. Worth the money. Roadbikereview.com has many satisfied customer reviews also.

chris
ne iowa

I had not been on a bike for years. when I got this one. I was just going to use it around town so put regular pedals on it. but I started riding more and my feet would slip off the sides of the pedals. (shoes were worn) so the fellow I got the bike from gave me really good shoes and the speedplay pedals. at first I kept coming out of them. I did not know why at first but I foud it was because I tend to let my knee sag outwards. and that rodated my foot and out I popped.
but otehr then that they sure work better. He had both the regular speedplay's and the frog. He prefeers the frog design.

Originally posted by jitteringjr
What is the 'ice cube feeling?' Do the new zeros have problems with dirt or just the x series?

The "ice cube" feeling is how folks who are accustomed to less floaty systems often describe the sensation of trying Speedplays for the first time -- Speedplays set a really high bar when it comes to smooth rotational float. If you're not used to it, it can feel like walking on ice.

I've used both the X and Zero series and I haven't noticed the latter being much less dirt sensitive. Then again, I never thought it was a terrible problem to begin with. I love Speedplays!

I've only used Look, with the fixed black cleats. No knee problems, love the function and feel, but two issues:

1) Cleat wear: Go through at least a set of nylon cleats each season, even using the Kool Kovers. Do the Speedplay cleats wear out? They are expensive, correct?

2) Creaking: Get creak/squeaks sometimes when pulling up hills, particularly when the cleats are worn. Any, do the Speedplays make noise?

The Speedplays just look weird to me, but seems most people who try them after using the conventional pedals don't go back. Must be a reason!

Dan

I have been using Campy pedals for the last 1.5 years, seem to work fine. Tried the Speedplays, just didn't care for the feel, but that's a judgment best left to the individual. Try them and see what you think. Campy pedals are very small, no problem with ground clearance.

From what I've seen of the Look pedals on a buddy's bike, Campy pro-fit are essentially Look pedals with a few changes.

Be aware that walking around in shoes with Campy or Look cleats is difficult, sort of like Earth Shoes from hell for those of you who remember those creations. SPD is the best for 'walkaround' ability - smaller cleat, doesn't protrude as much.

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky
Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL are awesome. Great platform, great bearings, great cornering, low stack height.

Then the Dura Ace SPD-SLs are awesomerererer! :) Another vote here for SPD-SL. The are everything my old Looks were, but better! Much easier to walk in, no cleat covers! Like the float better, no slop. Much lower stack height. Lower weight. Built in cleat wear indicators.

Havent tried Speedplays but these Dura Ace pedals leave me wanting for nothing. (ok, mentally activating magnetic locking 10 gram super pedals not withstanding)

Allan

SpeedPlay ZERO'S!!!! Riding on ice cubes???? Where do you get that from? That is what the cleat is for. Spreads it out just fine. Very simple in and outs.

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by dhk
1) Cleat wear: Go through at least a set of nylon cleats each season, even using the Kool Kovers. Do the Speedplay cleats wear out? They are expensive, correct?

2) Creaking: Get creak/squeaks sometimes when pulling up hills, particularly when the cleats are worn. Any, do the Speedplays make noise?
The Speedplay cleat poses a few disadvantages -- two, really -- firstly, they're a little chunky (read: walking is tough), and yes, they're a little pricey.

What Speedplay did, of course, is simply reverse the traditional design. The binding platform is bolted to your foot; the block, which the binding mechanism receives, is the pedal itself. That said, the clipping mechanism on a Speedplay platform-cleat is buried in a large, flat metal plate. As a result, you can't easily degrade the system's performance by walking on it. You can chew up the metal plate, which makes it ugly, but you'd have to run a 500k on asphalt to actually compromise the clipping mechanism. A tradional Look-style cleat, by contrast, will wear down pretty steadily with walking and become less effective in the pedal.

Noise? My Speedplays are silent; I've used the X3s and the Zero Stainless. All in all, a brilliant design. I love 'em.

Speedplays....I had reconstructive knee surgery a few years ago, and Speedplays have allowed for pain free riding.

Originally posted by flea77
Then the Dura Ace SPD-SLs are awesomerererer! :) Another vote here for SPD-SL. The are everything my old Looks were, but better! Much easier to walk in, no cleat covers! Like the float better, no slop. Much lower stack height. Lower weight. Built in cleat wear indicators.

Havent tried Speedplays but these Dura Ace pedals leave me wanting for nothing. (ok, mentally activating magnetic locking 10 gram super pedals not withstanding)

Allan

All good functional reasons to change from Look to SPD-SL. I like the fact you're not wearing out the functional part of the cleat by walking, and the lighter weight. But, don't the little red/yellow cushion points wear down quickly when you walk on them? I do use the Kool Kovers now, and wouldn't mind dumping them....just extra baggage in the seat wedge.

Still, from an traditional/ emotional view I favor Look....seems to me Shimano has finally come around to "borrowing" their design. Of course, if Look had been on the ball, suppose they could have made the same improvements.

Dan