• Look

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Campy

Votes: 115 90.6%
  • Speedplay

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters
xbgs351 said:
Only if you don't need float. I gave mine away. Worst pedals I have tried. I know use Speedplay.
It's pretty bad - not to mention it should be incredibly embarasssing - when someone who claims that they have used a product makes silly statements that show they haven't.

The Time RSX indeed has angular float that is self centering but they also have they have lateral float which neither the Looks nor the Speedplays have.

We're not sure what you now know.

The only clipless pedals I've ever used is LOOK (the carbon body pedals that came out back in 1996) , and Time Pro Equipes( Criteriums , and Mag).

I like the Time Pro Equip. Mags.(400 grams) alot.... but wanted to try a new pedal.

I ended up getting the Time Impact Mag. >>> got a good price on them , and at 290 or 300 grams/pair ......, thats excellent , and they still retain the same larger platform of the Equipe Pro's(same surface area) , and they are essentialy the SAME design as the new RXE/ RXS pedal (minus the carbon... 1 ounce difference) , but I'd rather romp on Magnisium... then Carbon( it has the potential to SNAP ! Plus, I like to let others , Pro's , etc. use the pedals for 1-2 years......... so that a fair assesment comes back on the pedals.. before I buy them.

I have always used Sidi Genius 3/ and Techno shoes(NON Carbon sole) ..... and they work great for me(I have a narrow foot).

Sidi/Carnac/DMT/Shimano .......... they all make a great shoe( newer versions... or even mid-late 90's shoes) ........... so really, as long as you find a SHOE that FITS........ thats what matters( just like if you Ski.... having a properly fit SKI BOOT.. is what matters).

Thus, the "problem" of the so called "hot spots" on peoples feet... is inharently a PEDAL problem , not shoe. The LOOK design pedal is a solid design that sets the industry standard... without a doubt(overall performance/ large platform/ easy enough entry-exit/ durability/ weight is decent- cannot always be a weight junkie(ie. being a 200 lbs. rider.. and using Ti. spindles is a NO NO !).... pedal weight is important(centra-fugal force... I do believe)... wheel weight is even more important.

>>>>> take LOOKs design a STEP further....... and BAM, you have Time's design, Equipe Pro .... Impact.... RXS . Here, you get great platform size, low weight(not TOO low) , great design- float is 13 or 17 degrees , plus you get Lateral float( the closest pedal to spindal platform of any pedal) , easy to clip in/out of / super durablity(great sealed bearing design.... rainy riders??) . To me, as long as the pedal/shoe combo gives me proper Energy transmission to the cranks/driveline, then thats what matters most(excluding weight - everyone has to push/pull something , whether its 100 grams, 200 grams, etc.) . A well designed, durable pedal is also very nice to use as well. I have to give it to the Frenchmen on this one...... , since I am biasedly Italian driven/ridden rider :) The Campy ProFits look good.... but look to have an even Smaller platform then LOOK/ Time.
.... I am Time's PR person , give it up :cool: :D

wannaride said:
It's pretty bad - not to mention it should be incredibly embarasssing - when someone who claims that they have used a product makes silly statements that show they haven't.

The Time RSX indeed has angular float that is self centering but they also have they have lateral float which neither the Looks nor the Speedplays have.

We're not sure what you now know.

Sure the pedals have self centering float. But even with the spring tension backed all the way off, the self centering action practically eliminates the float.

The pedal held my foot in the centre although my heel should have been closer to the crank. The more the heal is moved away from the centre the more centering force that is applied. This is fine if you naturally ride with a centred foot, but if you ride with your heel further in or out, you will be in for trouble.

I did like the lateral float, but it rendered the q-factor adjustment redundant.

xbgs351 said:
Sure the pedals have self centering float. But even with the spring tension backed all the way off, the self centering action practically eliminates the float.

The pedal held my foot in the centre although my heel should have been closer to the crank. The more the heal is moved away from the centre the more centering force that is applied. This is fine if you naturally ride with a centred foot, but if you ride with your heel further in or out, you will be in for trouble.

I did like the lateral float, but it rendered the q-factor adjustment redundant.
If you don't like the angle of your foot relative to the pedal then you use the nifty guide on the cleat to change the angle 5 degrees in the direction you would like, i.e, with your heel in or out more as you like.

wannaride said:
If you don't like the angle of your foot relative to the pedal then you use the nifty guide on the cleat to change the angle 5 degrees in the direction you would like, i.e, with your heel in or out more as you like.

I already had it orientated to give me more movement in the required direction. It still wasn't enough.

My point is that there are two kinds of float in a Time RSX pedal - your initial response suggested there was none. Sorry the pedals don't work for you but they will work for most people.

wannaride said:
My point is that there are two kinds of float in a Time RSX pedal - your initial response suggested there was none. Sorry the pedals don't work for you but they will work for most people.

Yes there is float, but no free float. I should have been more specific.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Thus, the "problem" of the so called "hot spots" on peoples feet... is inharently a PEDAL problem , not shoe.
Agree, but if you want to use a small pedal you can prevent the problem from occurring by using a shoe with a stiff (carbon) sole like Shimano's. In that case your shoe's sole becomes the platform.