Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Campy

Votes: 115 90.6%
  • Speedplay

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters

Chesapeake Boy

Aug 1, 2003
I have ridden Look my entire biking life, but I have been thinking of trying out the Speedplays....

People with experience on BOTH types please give me your impressions...OK throw in Campy's as well.....

Get the new Shimano SPD-SL design - YOU WILL LOVE THEM. I rode LOOK for 8 yrs before swiching this summer. Low profile for better cornering (like Speedplay), wide platform for comfort (unlike Speedplay), easy click in, and no unintended release.

Another vote for SPD-SL. We're really messing with your poll, eh :p

Originally posted by rek
Another vote for SPD-SL. We're really messing with your poll, eh :p

So why do you like the Shimano's so much.... I think I would dislike the small speedplay platform as well.. That is why I was just going to stick with Look or go Campy...

Originally posted by Chesapeake Boy
So why do you like the Shimano's so much

Talk to anybody who's ridden them - they are just that fantastic! I was also thinking of going to Speedplays, but after I asked around (a lot...) I found reviews were mixed on them - some people loved 'em but others felt like they were trying to pedal on ice cubes. On the other hand, EVERYBODY I talked to that had ridden the new SPD-SL design (either D/A or Ultegra) just raved about them - no negative comments at all. The clincher was when I got a chance to ride them before deciding - they were right! I got my D/A versions on E-Bay almost new for $130 (Ultegras sell new for about that).

Originally posted by BugMan
Talk to anybody who's ridden them - they are just that fantastic! I was also thinking of going to Speedplays, but after I asked around (a lot...) I found reviews were mixed on them - some people loved 'em but others felt like they were trying to pedal on ice cubes. On the other hand, EVERYBODY I talked to that had ridden the new SPD-SL design (either D/A or Ultegra) just raved about them - no negative comments at all. The clincher was when I got a chance to ride them before deciding - they were right! I got my D/A versions on E-Bay almost new for $130 (Ultegras sell new for about that).

OK so bring your ride up to me... I am only about 6 Hours N of St Louis... then I can see!:D :D ;)

I have been researching pedals for a few months; about as long as I have been researching which road bike I am going to buy. Thus far, the SPD-SL pedals appear to be the best.

There is a review of both the Dura-Ace and Ultrega versions at http://www.roadbikerider.com The reviewer simply loved them.

Go the Speedplays if you can afford the 'zeros'. You just need a bit of time to get used to the "ice cube" feeling which lasts only one or two rides.
The wide platform issue is irrelevent as the cleat is wide and spreads the pressure out, especially if you have decent shoes.
I wouldn't put Shimano ahead of Look - I'd say they are about the same. There are quite a few negative reviews about the Shimanos in various magazines now. Plus I haven't heard too many riders on the road rave about them the way people rave about Speedplays.

I've ridden Look, Shimano and Speedplay. I love my Speedplay's, never had any problems or felt like I was pedaling on ice-cubes.

I just bought the Dura Ace 7750 SPD-SL pedals and love them! Another vote for those. :)

Teski

So why do you like the Shimano's so much.... I think I would dislike the small speedplay platform as well.. That is why I was just going to stick with Look or go Campy...
Keep in mind that there are a number of Shimano clipless designs:

SPD: their original MTB pedal, with the tiny metal cleat

SPD-R: their first attempt at a road pedal, which most people don't seem to like very much

SPD-SL: their new road pedal, which is a system very similar to Look, but with a few added engineering enhancements; things like rubber pontoons integrated to the cleat so walking in them isn't slippery, and double as a wear indicator; ridges on the cleat/spring interface to stop the possibility of clipping out in hard sprints; a slim design to give a lower profile and less weight ..

I remember reading something just recently that they have just released an even cheaper 105 group-level SPD-SL pedal.

Had knee problems since a racquetball injury right out of college. Speedplays have been a saviour for me. If you don't like the float, the Speedplay Zero's can be dialed down to zero float.

YMMV, but I found Speedplays a LOT easier to clip into than SPDs.

Stephen

I was refering to the new Shimanos...
No worries :) Just that many people confuse the older SPD-R road pedal with the new SPD-SL type when looking for reviews, etc.

Look all the way!!!

Has a pair of Exus E12's when I first started with clipless.......no comparison!!

I have Speedplays and their Great, yes they have tons of float (Great for your Knees) but you get used to that very quick (a couple of rides). They are easy in and out (Double entry rocks), they provide an excellent platform with the cleats (I use a shimano shoe). They are however sensitive to dirt so get speedplay cleat covers or avoid dirt. Also as sathomasga mentioned the Speedplay Zero's have adjustable float down to Zero.

Good luck on your decision !

Nobody's mentioned the weight issue. Speedplays appear to be much lighter, but I've also heard that the weight of the cleats (especially if you need to add an adapter) offset the lighter weight of the pedals. Comments?

Seems to me that alot of responses are based on only trying one type of pedal! Speedplays (as do others) are appreciated for their inherent design attributes. They will help eliminate knee problems and in my opinion (having ridden all the other types) simulate a more natural pedal action, as the foot is allowed freedom to move during pedalling. It is true that the "ice cube" feeling goes away after a few rides, but can put you off Speedplays if you only try them for a short time. First impressions can be deceiving!
These pedals (for me) have meant that my presistent knee pain is no longer a problem. I rode a hilly century just a few days ago, and was very thankful for them, as well as my Saddleco Flow saddle. Speedplay wins hands down for me. I use X2's by the way.
Ride hard, live large!

I have two sets of Speedplays. Upgraded to titanium when I built my new bike. I love them, easy entry, easy exit. I don't know why you would want anything else.