Which pedals would you get

• Look

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Campy

Votes: 115 90.6%
  • Speedplay

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters
Lokstah: Great reply, thanks for answering my questions. But, have a few more.

I had realized that Speedplay reversed the cleat/clip. Of course, one of the side benefits is that they have a light pedal weight, which looks great in the ads .....but what do the medal Speedplay cleats weigh? The nylon Look cleats of course are light.

One thing I like about Speedplay (and Look) is that they are "gruppo-neutral".

Another question please. Do the Speedplay cleats use the 4 screw mounting system, rather than the 3 screw Look mounting? I've got a fairly new pair of Carnac shoes that I want to keep; probably would need a new little "UCS" adapter plate if I change from Look.

Dan

ps: Local framebuilder here sent me a sample build sheet with DA and Ultegra gruppo's.....and Speedplay X2s were the pedals he listed.

Dhk, you're welcome.

I can answer both of your questions with one pop. The Speedplay cleat system is adaptable to either the 3 or 4 hole mount system (you get a hardware kit of various shims and plates; don't worry, it's easy), and the total weight of the cleat varies accordingly. If you mount 4 hole, it's a roughly 50g unit; if you mount 3 hole, it's a 85g unit. Not too shabby. I'm using them on a 3-hole Pearl Izumi Vaper shoe; light enough for me. If there are rumors out there about the cleat being heavy, they're unfounded -- the whole system is light and efficient.

The Speedplay website (speedplay.com, I think) has a nice shoe compatability engine if you're concerned. The last time I visited the page, you could select a pedal model, a shoe make, and then a shoe model and it would tell you what adapter setup you'd have to use (if you have to at all; the stuff's included, BTW), or if the shoe won't work at all (rare).

Gruppo neutrality? That's funny. Yeah, I guess that's another benefit. There's the issue of frame neutrality, though, if you want to get crazy. A Look pedal user might feel obliged to go French, if not Look.

:)

Website does give lots of info; should have gone there first.

I can use the 4 hole cleats on my Carnac, just need a new USC3 recessed bottom plate for Speedplay. The 4 hole cleats only weigh 70 gms, including mounting bolts, vs 94 gms for the Looks. Pedal weight is listed as 206 gms/pair for Zero SS, vs 360 gms/pair for Look A5.1. That's 0.6 lbs for Zeros, 1 lb for the Looks...a big rotating weight savings. Plus, stack height comes down about 13 mm.

I like the Zero's, since I'll be able to set a fixed position or adjust the float, for just a few dollars more. That rotating weight savings is too much to pass up on the new bike.

Decision made...thanks again for your help.

Dan

Don't know how relevant this is regarding a comparison to present design Look or Time, but I had the original Looks when they came out 10 - 15 years ago, (Fixed, really bothered my knees!) I went to Time pedals about 8-10 years ago and loved them! 2 years ago I went to speedplay X/2's and couldn't be happier! For me the extra float is GREAT!!! The other weekend I threw on the old Time pedals for comparison and once again had that "fixed" pedal sensation. (They came off in a flash). In my mind, there is no better pedal out there than Speedplay.

Originally posted by Cipher
Don't know how relevant this is regarding a comparison to present design Look or Time, but I had the original Looks when they came out 10 - 15 years ago, (Fixed, really bothered my knees!) I went to Time pedals about 8-10 years ago and loved them! 2 years ago I went to speedplay X/2's and couldn't be happier! For me the extra float is GREAT!!! The other weekend I threw on the old Time pedals for comparison and once again had that "fixed" pedal sensation. (They came off in a flash). In my mind, there is no better pedal out there than Speedplay.

One more vote for the speedplays. I put Zero's on a new bike back in May and also went with a pair of Sidi Guenius 4s. I had previously been on various SPDs on both road and mountain bikes. I never felt the 'ice' feeling, as the float just seems to be so much more natural than the locked in feeling you get with the SPD cleats. The float makes a huge difference on long rides like a century where you can change your foot position in and out to give your knee some needed relief.

The cleat + pedal combo is lighter than just about anything out there. It also provides a great stable platform. I used to have minor issues with dirt, even with using the covers. Now I just don't lube them at all. I put a very light lube on the metal part of the pedal itself and leave the cleats clean. This seems to work better as any dirt that gets into the cleat comes right out after a couple of taps on the road surface.

A LOOK pedal can do double duty as a bottle opener for that apres-ride brewski. Just something to consider.

Originally posted by lokstah

I've used both the X and Zero series and I haven't noticed the latter being much less dirt sensitive. Then again, I never thought it was a terrible problem to begin with. I love Speedplays!

the zeros are less sensitive to dirt because the cleat design is slightly different, iirc. the X cleat uses these "pole" springs that dirt can more easily get trapped behind. the new zero cleat spring is more of a metal plate that springs back and forth.

edit: here's a camparo pic i found in a review.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/speedplay0/new-vs-old-cleatlg.jpg

Just took off my Speedplay Zeros and went back to the trusty Look pedals. The wide platform of the Look, which is so close to the sole of the shoe feels so much better to me. The Zeros were an expensive experiment!! I noticed that the yellow part of the Speedplay cleat was wearing pretty fast (only used them for < 1000 miles) with some pretty important looking protrusions shearing off. I have my own doubts about their long term durability. I'm happy to buy a set of ARC cleats (<$10) once a season...

Originally posted by merubeyurubu
The wide platform of the Look, which is so close to the sole of the shoe feels so much better to me.

actually speedplays have a lower stack height (center of pedal spindle to sole of shoe) vs. look.

everyone's got their own preferences for feel, though. i use the coffee shop covers to reduce wear on the cleats.

Originally posted by drewski
actually speedplays have a lower stack height (center of pedal spindle to sole of shoe) vs. look.

everyone's got their own preferences for feel, though. i use the coffee shop covers to reduce wear on the cleats.

As do I, but they're really good only to keep the wearer from sliding on floors, cutting/scratching floors, and to keep the mechanism clear of debris. Only the frame of the cleat wears when walking. The cleat mechanism itself is recessed and protected in the Speedplay design. To wear them down you'd have to grind away quite a bit of metal.

Look cleats wear much more quickly.

Give the Time impact pedals a try, ive used Look, Speedplay, Campy, SPD's and by far I like the Time impact pedals the best.

When I can save enough bones, I'll try the Coombe Pro pedals. Reviewers at roadbikereview.com praise these pedals highly.

Speedplays -- No question. I've ridden on assorted looks, Speedplays, and now speedplay Zeros.

The Speedplays are the easiest to engage with their dual-sided entry -- a real bonus during crits. They're also easier on my bad knees. The cleats/springs on the Zeros tend to wear better than those on the regular speedplays, probably because they are flat rather than rounded.

If you go speedplay, make sure that they are installed properly -- they will not work well if the sole of your shoe has any amount of curve whatsoever, and the screws used to hold the cleats to the shoe are overtightened.

Originally posted by Chesapeake Boy
I have ridden Look my entire biking life, but I have been thinking of trying out the Speedplays....

People with experience on BOTH types please give me your impressions...OK throw in Campy's as well.....

Have ridden Speedplays for at least 8K and love them. However, the important issue is the spring on the cleats. The manufactures states 5K and they should be replaced, of which I can personal vouch for when I crashed standing on my pedals on a hill, on Cycle Oregon 13. After a minor concussion and a chipped pelvis I continued to use Speedplays but remembered my maintanence.

Another happy SPD-SL user here. And don't forget about the built-in pads that allow you to walk around easily at cafe breaks. You don't need any covers, etc.
And the price is right as there are plenty of deals on E-bay.

After using Look with fixed black cleats since '92, just took first ride on Zero's with the new bike today. They work fine, easy clip in and release, but of course so did the Look. The free floating action isn't hard to get used to at all. Main advantage I see over Look is the rotating weight savings.....about 200 gms.

With Carnac shoes, the cleats mount to the UCS-3 Speedplay insert directly without the black shims. I got the Cafe Covers to protect the cleats, but still seems these aren't made for walking anymore than Looks w/Kool Kovers.

Originally posted by Teski
I just bought the Dura Ace 7750 SPD-SL pedals and love them! Another vote for those. :)

Teski

Yes! SPD-SL's are the way to go. I was thinking about going to the Speedplay Zero pedals but didn't want to be bothered with all the relubing of the cleats. I would think that dirt/sand would have an especially bad effect on them too. Look are a great pedal but the drawbacks are a high foot from pedal axial and the infamous Look squeak. I tried the Time Impacts for some time but didn't like the float. The Impact tried to recenter my foot with spring pressure...not good for the knees. The SPD-SL pedal has it all, low profile, wide platform, fixed or float in one pedal and easy clip and release. Good Luck

The Speedplay re-lubing issue isn't a big deal, in my opinion. Squirt a little White Lightning in there every other week or so; takes two seconds.

Your knees deserve it! Well, at least mine do. ;)

In reference to Speedplay, Highgear posted:
... the drawbacks are a high foot from pedal axial and the infamous Look squeak. ...

Foot to spindle distance with Speedplays is commonly cited as a drawback. It is also a common misconception. Do the research and see for yourself. Speedplay offers a comparison tool on their site: http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=roadcompare.compareroad

I would recommend you also check other, independent sources; or check Shimano's site to get their view of the matter.

I have no idea what the Look squeak is. I've never heard a peep out of my Speedplays except when clipping in our out. :)

And please don't take this post as a recommendation for Speedplay. I have them and I like them and I'd encourage you to consider them. At the end of the day, however, it's your decision. Read and get opinions and get facts and make the most informed decision possible according to your own needs.

Speedplay.
When riding in a group I am always the first to get my foot back clipped back in. Theyre that easy. The platform on the shoe cover enough sole to evenly distribute the load. I have no idea what the so called "ice cube" feeling is of which Ive never experienced.
My ONLY gripe has been that according to specs I cant put a pair on a Shimano R series shoe which looks so sweet!