Look out Peter Fagerlin here I come

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trentus, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    All those times I've enviously heard people comment here on your videos. All those times I've wished
    I could look at them for myself. All those times I've wished I had the sort of connection that would
    suck down your 20-30meg videos. All those times - well once or twice - that I've succumbed and given
    the computer the WHOLE DAMNED NIGHTwhole night to pull down one single video that I just couldn't
    resist taking a look at.

    All those times - well All those times - THEY ARE OVER!!!!!

    I've queued up a whole pile of them to suck down one after the other, because I finally joined those
    lucky son's of guns that have broadband ! ! !
    ! ! ! ! !
    (Just a 512/128 at the moment, but soon to be 1500/512, but even the 512/128 is a hell of a lot
    better than the old 56k dial-up)

    The aweebito one just pulled down in under 15 minutes, and that's sucking it all the way here to
    Australia.

    Now to go start watching them at last.

    You never know, it just might get me out of my 4WD and back onto the dust covered mountain bike, and
    that aint trail dust I'm talking about, that's the "not-been-used-in-almost-a-year" type dust that
    I'm almost ashamed to admit to.

    Trentus

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Trentus wrote:
    > All those times I've enviously heard people comment here on your videos. All those times I've
    > wished I could look at them for myself. All those times I've wished I had the sort of connection
    > that would suck down your 20-30meg videos. All those times - well once or twice - that I've
    > succumbed and given the computer the WHOLE DAMNED NIGHTwhole night to pull down one single video
    > that I just couldn't resist taking a look at.
    >
    > All those times - well All those times - THEY ARE OVER!!!!!
    >
    > I've queued up a whole pile of them to suck down one after the other, because I finally joined
    > those lucky son's of guns that have broadband ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! (Just a 512/128 at the moment, but
    > soon to be 1500/512, but even the
    > 512/128 is a hell of a lot better than the old 56k dial-up)
    >
    > The aweebito one just pulled down in under 15 minutes, and that's sucking it all the way here to
    > Australia.
    >
    > Now to go start watching them at last.
    >
    > You never know, it just might get me out of my 4WD and back onto the dust covered mountain bike,
    > and that aint trail dust I'm talking about, that's the "not-been-used-in-almost-a-year" type dust
    > that I'm almost ashamed to admit to.
    >
    > Trentus

    You Aussies make me laugh! I thought Uncle Rupert (Murdock) owned everything in that country. You
    mean he wouldn't give you high speed Internet? He owns the cable TV system and wouldn't let you
    connect? Oh well, you're finally off that Ozemail crap. Welcome to the real world!

    I used to work for GoodmanFielder (meadow lea, uncle tobys, wonder, etc.) here in the States. Having
    to deal with the I/T folks across the pond was always an experience. They used to tell me the horror
    stories of paying US$4000 a month for a 128 KB ISDN connection. How much is your DSL?

  3. Fred Fragger

    Fred Fragger Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Trentus wrote:
    > > All those times I've enviously heard people comment here on your videos. All those times I've
    > > wished I could look at them for myself. All those times I've wished I had the sort of connection
    > > that would suck down your 20-30meg videos. All those times - well once or twice - that I've
    > > succumbed and given the computer the WHOLE DAMNED NIGHTwhole night to pull down one single video
    > > that I just couldn't resist taking a look at.
    > >
    > > All those times - well All those times - THEY ARE OVER!!!!!
    > >
    > > I've queued up a whole pile of them to suck down one after the other, because I finally joined
    > > those lucky son's of guns that have broadband ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! (Just a 512/128 at the moment, but
    > > soon to be 1500/512, but even the
    > > 512/128 is a hell of a lot better than the old 56k dial-up)
    > >
    > > The aweebito one just pulled down in under 15 minutes, and that's sucking it all the way here to
    > > Australia.
    > >
    > > Now to go start watching them at last.
    > >
    > > You never know, it just might get me out of my 4WD and back onto the dust covered mountain bike,
    > > and that aint trail dust I'm talking about, that's the "not-been-used-in-almost-a-year" type
    > > dust that I'm almost ashamed to admit to.
    > >
    > > Trentus
    >
    > You Aussies make me laugh! I thought Uncle Rupert (Murdock) owned everything in that country. You
    > mean he wouldn't give you high speed Internet? He owns the cable TV system and wouldn't let you
    > connect? Oh well, you're finally off that Ozemail crap. Welcome to the real world!
    >
    > I used to work for GoodmanFielder (meadow lea, uncle tobys, wonder, etc.) here in the States.
    > Having to deal with the I/T folks across the pond was always an experience. They used to tell me
    > the horror stories of paying US$4000 a month for a 128 KB ISDN connection. How much is your DSL?

    Uncle Rupert has his finger in so many media pies here in the UK he must be one fat git!

    I think I pay 35 quid - 63 USD* per month for 1mb (256k up)

    * I didn't realise how good (for Brits on holiday) the exchange rate is at the moment!

    Later

    Fred

  4. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I used to work for GoodmanFielder (meadow lea, uncle tobys, wonder, etc.) here in the States.
    > Having to deal with the I/T folks across the pond was always an experience. They used to tell me
    > the horror stories of paying US$4000 a month for a 128 KB ISDN connection. How much is your DSL?

    I'm only on a 512/128 plan. Shaped to 128 meaning if I exceed my 10gig download limit in a month
    that I get slowed to 128. That 10gig doesn't include anything that is mirrored or kept locally by
    the ISP, or any online gaming that is run on their own servers, those things don't get metered. So
    despite 750Meg downloading the BF 1942 and Desert Combat patches, about 60 meg of Windows Updates,
    and many hours of gaming, I've only managed to clock up 49meg of metered usage over 2 weeks, so how
    the hell I will ever use 10 Gig is beyond me. For that plan I pay $A60 per month, and $99 for a
    1500/512 plan. That's probably way dearer than any US plan, but things is a changing here in Aus.
    Telstra had a monopoly on ISDN/ADSL for years, and seemed to believe that it would be better to have
    a dozen or so businesses paying $4000 a month, than a few million people paying $60 a month. Once
    Telstra got the monopoly kicked out of them, and other players arrived, it didn't take long to
    improve. Especially once cable TV started offering cable internet, because all customers would soon
    just go there and they'd have no high-speed net clients. However it won't ever get really
    competitive because Telstra own most of, if not damn near all, the infrastructure (all the millions
    of phone lines etc throughout the country) and their competitors have to pay Telstra for the use of
    it, so we won't ever really get great competition, cause they can undercut the competition. At least
    this is all the way I see and understand the situation, I may well be very wrong, it won't be the
    first time (I thought I was wrong once before, but I was mistaken)

    Trentus

  5. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:46:51 +1100, "Trentus"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All those times I've enviously heard people comment here on your videos. All those times I've
    >wished I could look at them for myself. All those times I've wished I had the sort of connection
    >that would suck down your 20-30meg videos. All those times - well once or twice - that I've
    >succumbed and given the computer the WHOLE DAMNED NIGHTwhole night to pull down one single video
    >that I just couldn't resist taking a look at.
    >
    >All those times - well All those times - THEY ARE OVER!!!!!
    >
    >I've queued up a whole pile of them to suck down one after the other, because I finally joined
    >those lucky son's of guns that have broadband ! ! !
    >! ! ! ! !

    I guess it's a bit late to prevent access from all Au IPs.

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Hi Trentus. I thought we'd lost you for good.

    >I've only managed to clock up 49meg of metered usage over 2 weeks, so how the hell I will ever use
    >10 Gig is beyond me.

    I'm sure you'll manage once you start discovering all those other highbandwith sites that you didn't
    even knew existed.Don't listen to those foreign radio stations at 128kbps while you work either!
    They'll use that 10GB really quickly.

    I'm paying NZD$49 for _1_GB a month 256K connection with a 20cents/MB penalty once I exceed the
    1000M. That's the best deal you can get over this side of the ditch. So much for being the country
    that has the higest proportion of internet connections per head of population.
    --
    Westie

  7. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I guess it's a bit late to prevent access from all Au IPs.

    Yep, it is. I've already sucked them all the way across the Atlantic (or Pacific depending on
    which direction I was sucking) and am now enjoying them heaps. And yes, I am dusting off the bike
    to get back out there again, they've inspired me (also the ridiculous temperatures Australia gets
    in summer, are on their way out again as Autumn approaches and makes riding up mountains less
    dangerous to one's health.)

    Trentus

  8. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    Trentus wrote:
    > "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I guess it's a bit late to prevent access from all Au IPs.
    >
    > Yep, it is. I've already sucked them all the way across the Atlantic (or Pacific depending on
    > which direction I was sucking) and am now enjoying them heaps. And yes, I am dusting off the
    > bike to get back out there again, they've inspired me (also the ridiculous temperatures
    > Australia gets in summer, are on their way out again as Autumn approaches and makes riding up
    > mountains less dangerous to one's health.)
    >
    > Trentus

    Nothing better than hitting the climbs when it's 115°F (46°C). No hikers to worry about either!

    Gary (but it's a dry heat......)

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Hi Trentus. I thought we'd lost you for good.
    >
    > >I've only managed to clock up 49meg of metered usage over 2 weeks, so how the hell I will ever
    > >use 10 Gig is beyond me.
    >
    > I'm sure you'll manage once you start discovering all those other highbandwith sites that you
    > didn't even knew existed.Don't listen to those foreign radio stations at 128kbps while you work
    > either! They'll use that 10GB really quickly.
    >
    > I'm paying NZD$49 for _1_GB a month 256K connection with a 20cents/MB penalty once I exceed the
    > 1000M. That's the best deal you can get over this side of the ditch. So much for being the country
    > that has the higest proportion of internet connections per head of population.
    > --
    > Westie

    Wow that's pretty harsh, I suppose the people that own ISPs there ar the Richard Branson and Donald
    Trump of your land.
    --
    _________________________

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Trentus wrote:
    > > "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> I guess it's a bit late to prevent access from all Au IPs.
    > >
    > > Yep, it is. I've already sucked them all the way across the Atlantic (or Pacific depending on
    > > which direction I was sucking) and am now enjoying them heaps. And yes, I am dusting off the
    > > bike to get back out there again, they've inspired me (also the ridiculous temperatures
    > > Australia gets in summer, are on their way out again as Autumn approaches and makes riding up
    > > mountains less dangerous to one's health.)
    > >
    > > Trentus
    >
    > Nothing better than hitting the climbs when it's 115°F (46°C). No hikers to worry about either!

    ride where I can keep moving at a decent speed.

    Greg

  11. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    G.T. wrote: snip

    >> Nothing better than hitting the climbs when it's 115°F (46°C). No hikers to worry about either!
    >>

    > be a ride where I can keep moving at a decent speed.
    >
    > Greg

    Light weight! <g>

    But then I was raised in the desert. If I only rode when it was below 102 then I wouldn't get to
    ride much in the summer when the low temp for the day is in the low 90's.

    It separates the men from the......masochists!

    Gary(no frostbite for me)