Look Pedal noise

I also have a pair of PP396's. The right one squeaks terribly and drives me crazy. I've tried putting Tri-Flow in the hinge pin on the size of the pedal. It's helped a bit but the problem is still there and intermittent. I’ve also oiled all the cleat mating surfaces. Even took the cleat off my shoe to look for dirt or sand between the sole and the cleat. Sometimes it makes no noise, sometimes a little and sometimes my ride buddies even complain! These pedals have only about 2500 miles on them. It drives me crazy, My bike shop said they might be able to take it apart and clean it out. That there could be corrosion inside from getting caught in the rain.

Does anyone have other solution? Thanks for your help.

The noise,I was told when I took my LOOKS back for a refund, was made by the little rubber square in the middle of the cleat.
The guy said if you save it off so that it is flush with the cleat,it won't make any noise. He insisted this would cure the noise.

I was sceptical and opted for the refund,but he seemed to know what he was talking about

Hi,

I get a similar problem with my Shimano SPD-SL pedals/cleats. It drives me insane and I am even contemplating fitting some OLD SPD pedals again as the Metal SPD cleats seem to be faily noise free.

Tone

ludwig said:
well, the cleats were new and came with the pedals,so I don't think i need new ones.
Anyway, I took them back to the shop today and got a refund.
The guy in the shop said that he guarenteed that if I shaved the black rubber bit off with a sharp knife,then the squeeking would go away.
I was a little sceptical of this and anyway,I'd just wasted 3 days of my life trying to sort the problem out and didn't fancy wasting another one.
I ordered some Shimano SPD-R pedals and hope that they will be better.
I have had Looks squeaks and all, they were more comfortable than SPD-R's.
I've just replaced my ultegra SPD-R's with SPD-SL's.
i wasn't happy with the bearings in the SPD-R's or their comfort.
I thought they had too small a platform for my size 12's [46's].
The SPD-SL's feel great, the platform is wider, although its too early to judge their bearings.
Good to walk on and easy to engage.
I wear Shimano 214's with them.
In all a good package.

I have Look pedals which would squeak. I shaved the rubber off. 5 years and noise free since.

My Look pedals don't make any noise. They're so widespread that you can find cleats at every LBS if you run into a problem.

ludwig said:
What I find interesting is that LOOK themselves have not addressed this problem.I mean,If I was testing pedals for them,the first thing I would say is not that they look nice or spin well or have a nice release mechanism, but they squeak all over the place. How on earth can this sort of problem get through quality control?
They have addressed it. The new Bi Material cleats have Teflon inserts at the points where they contact the bindings. I don't have too many miles on mine yet, but so far no noise.

artmichalek said:
They have addressed it. The new Bi Material cleats have Teflon inserts at the points where they contact the bindings. I don't have too many miles on mine yet, but so far no noise.

I don't even have the new cleats with the Teflon, no noise.

ludwig said:
I used the first ever pair of LOOK pedals that came on the market (the big white ones that Hinault wore in 84 or whatever) and don't remember having this problem back then. Since thenI dropped out of cycling and returned only a couple of years ago with Shimano SPD pedals. I had a few squeaking problems with them,but found a way to eliminate them and run them noise free.These LOOK pedals I ahve now are the first pair I've had since 85.

Does anyone else have this issue to this extent or perhaps can offer a solution?

One thing that occured to me is to get rid of that bit of rubber.What is it's purpose ,apart from causing irritating squeaks?

cheers
Ludwig

Ludwig,
I too had some of those white Hinault-era pedals along with the black cleats that came with them. I never had a bit of trouble. I had some spare black cleats from the 1980s and put those on my shoes when I switched to recent model pedals a few years ago. I never had any creaks or squeaks. About three weeks ago, I bought some of the red cleats (figuring I could take advantage of the float permitted by these and the modern pedals I have been using). The creaking problem started about a week after I switched to the red cleats. I've tried everything -- lubricant, tightening the screws on the cleats, water, wax, polish. Nothing has quieted the pedals for more than 8 km or so.

I actually skipped a ride the other day because I couldn't tolerate the prospects of that creaking. I have always been a sneaky sprinter, one who enjoyed ambushing the local hot-shot sprinters in our club rides as they wind up for the sprints that are part of every ride. Now they hear me coming. I'm like some giant creaking monster stomping up the flank of the peleton.

The Look pedals aren't the only pedals that have creaked for me. I also had trouble with Speedplay pedals and none of the local bike shops seemed to be able to give me any help in eliminating the creaking.

It's almost enough to make me get out some of those old Campy Super Record pedals from my early days. They never creaked.

Van

I think SPD-SL 540s are junk. I bought them less than 1 year ago. now i am replacing them because the cleat retaining mechanism has been work and is developing longtitudinal play. Bloody irritating. And the right one also clicks

I've been using Looks for about 15 years and my current bikes are equipped with Campag Record C Carbon Looks and Look PP196 Teams.

To stop the squeeks, ensure the cleats get a light sand with sandpaper (doh) especially the front lip, and the best thing to spray on the pedals is the popular Mr Sheen Furniture Polish (original variety) - just use this stuff to clean them and squeeks gone. :)

Not moved to the new cleats yet - still on the original red ones !

I’m amazed at the length of the thread here about squeaking Look pedals!

I, too, have the problem. I have Look 247 pedals and the red cleats with the white plastic anti-friction surfaces.

One thing I did that helped:

Scrupulously clean both the pedals and cleats.

It’s amazing the amount of wear where the plastic cleat contacts the aluminum pedal. The aluminum was noticeably worn down after about 5,000 miles. I’m on my second pair (at least?) of cleats. I believe that’s where the creaking is coming from.

The candle wax lubricant is one I’m going to try. I also have some old automotive lubricant that has always worked well on car door hinges and trunk latches – I think I’ll give that a try.

And by the way, why did look come out with the KEO pedal? You can hardly tell it from the old one except that they are not compatible (found that out the hard way).