Look pedal repair

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by nbfman, Sep 4, 2009.

1. nbfman

nbfman New Member

My Look KEO Sprint suddenly felt loose during a ride. The part that failed is the spring-loaded latch at the back of the pedal. There is a post that it pivots around, which is secured on both sides of the pedal. It looks like the post got pulled to one side, causing it to slip out of the hole that holds it to the pedal side.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? I tried pushing it back in, but it was not easy to do by hand. I will try a hammer next. I'm wondering if the pedal can be fixed or whether it is better to just get a new set.

Thanks,

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Not really fixable. You can send it to Look USA and perhaps they will warranty it.

3. nbfman

nbfman New Member

Thanks. I got around 10K kms of use out of it. It was the right side, which is the side I keeped clipped in when stopping at lights (i.e. less engage/disengage vs left side, which is still fine). Is this a reasonable amount of use one can expect out of Look KEO pedals?

4. bicyclerubber

bicyclerubber New Member

I think you have been unlucky. Looking at the way the sprints are made, its going to be awkward to make that repair - the spring isn't going to want to go back

With Keo Easy pedals so cheap now, its probably the same price for a pair of them as it is to send them to Look....

5. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

6000miles(10000kms) is light use. These should last much, much longer.

6. nbfman

nbfman New Member

Thanks for the input. I think it was definitely a "lemon". Oh, well. I just picked up a new pair of the same model and will hope for longer use this time.

7. langyuming

langyuming New Member

Thanks to share this information.

8. nbfman

nbfman New Member

For anyone who may have experienced this problem on a Look KEO Sprint pedal, I thought to update that I was able to fix the broken pedal by using a screw driver and hammer to tap one end of the axel (this is the axel for the spring-loaded latch at the back of the pedal). I did it by fully loosening the spring tension screw, positioning the axel as close to the hole as I could manage, then lightly tapping on the opposite end of the axel with the screw driver + hammer until it engaged. It took a few tries, but eventually worked. It looks like there are caps that screw into the ends of the axel to keep it from sliding, but my pedals have apparently lost all but one of them. Now, only friction is holding the axel in the hole, so it may work its way out again with use. Not sure what I'll do with the pedals now, since I already bought a new pair. I might try them on my other bike to see how long they hold up.

Has anyone else out there had problems with these caps falling off?

9. Tackdriver56

Tackdriver56 New Member

Argggggggh! A pin punch is called for. You probably just ruined a perfectly good screw driver.

Find a stainless or galvanized nail the same size as the hole, and keep it in your tool kit, with a tiny tube of red LocTite "stud lock" compound. The next time it backs out, put a drop or two of stud lock on the part before pounding it back in place.

By all means, keep using them. Or you can mail them to me...and I'll put them on MY old touring bike.:)

10. ripfish

ripfish New Member

Just had this same exact problem. The caps on the ends of the little roll pin/shaft are missing. I tapped the shaft back through just like the previous guy did, but it only lasted one more ride. I only have 4000 miles with these. Extremely disappointed. Mine are Keo Sprints as well with a date code of mid 2006. Bought in early 2007 and barely ridden on until the last three months. I am going to try and see if they will warranty. Obviously a weak point and not a good design.

11. Tackdriver56

Tackdriver56 New Member

Red LocTite Stud Lock: When Duct Tape and coat hangers just aren't enough, but Kevlar and Epoxy are still too much.:D

Seriously. It's a cheap, low hassle solution, if it works. First, clean the grease off the parts with solvent. LocTite only turns solid in tight spaces with no air.

12. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

The shop that sold you the pedals should be able deal with Look for you. That may take some time, but if you're really nice about it they might pull a pair of loaners from a drawer full of old parts, for you to use in the mean time.

13. ripfish

ripfish New Member

Contacted Look. As suggested above, they directed me to LBS to return for warranty/repair. In the mean time, I had super glued the roll pin in to get another 100 mile training ride in. It held up fine, but I had little long term confidence. Hopefully Look will take care with little to no cost for me. I did buy some speedplays while at the LBS, but hope to see what the prognosis is first on the warranty. I am really torn on going to speedplays from the shimano/look style pedals. Other than looking down to clip in and sometimes having to put in a little extra effort to chase on, this look pedal style has been fine. Thinking maybe I should just pick up the shimano ultegras and probably get lots of miles in with no issues.

14. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Your experience with Look pedals really is the exception. They've been in the clipless pedal game longer than anyone else around, so I think they have a good handle on what they're doing. Unfortunately manufacturing isn't a perfect process, so even the best companies occasionally have a product that takes a dump on a customer.

15. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FYI. While you are correct that one should use the "proper" tool when it is available, while it may not be economically feasible, the blade on a so-called "good screw driver" (almost any screwdriver) can be reforged, if necessary ...

Also, good flat file will true the tip's edge.

BTW. If the impact used in tapping the pin on the pedal was great enough to ruin the tip of a screwdriver, then it probably wasn't that good of a tool.