Look pedal squeak



tayvens

New Member
Feb 5, 2005
24
0
0
I have ridden with two different Look pedals. Unfortunately both have developed an annoying squeak. I assume it is the cleat rubbing on the pedal surface. It is frustrating when cruising along on an otherwise silent bike to hear 'eek...eek..eek...eek..eek' with each turn of the crank. Has anyone found a solution? I see new cool looking Keo pedals have a teflon surface on the front surface of the cleat. Does anyone know if this works?
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
tayvens said:
I have ridden with two different Look pedals. Unfortunately both have developed an annoying squeak. I assume it is the cleat rubbing on the pedal surface. It is frustrating when cruising along on an otherwise silent bike to hear 'eek...eek..eek...eek..eek' with each turn of the crank. Has anyone found a solution? I see new cool looking Keo pedals have a teflon surface on the front surface of the cleat. Does anyone know if this works?
Looks squeek. A cure is armourall or wax.There is also a new bi-material cleat.
 

ctkrohn

New Member
May 7, 2004
7
0
0
Put some vaseline, soap (liquid or bar), WD-40, or pretty much any slippery substance on the surface of the pedal. That will take care of the problem for a while. You have to do this regularly though.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
DiabloScott said:
The new teflon cleats do work, but they don't fit in my Kool Kovers anymore.
I duno why that would be.They have to be the same size to fit the pedals.
 

DiabloScott

New Member
May 15, 2003
2,284
4
38
boudreaux said:
I duno why that would be.They have to be the same size to fit the pedals.

I don't know either - it's weird, but I got the new covers and the new cleats at the same time so maybe my covers are an odd lot and too small for the old cleats too. I'm going to have to experiment. They're just a LITTLE too small, so you can kind of get them on, but then they pop off on their own.
 

chrispopovic

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
99
0
0
54
I have the CX6 pedals and they've always squeaked. I switched to the new teflon cleats at the end of last year and my pedals are now silenced. Go with the new cleats and I bet your pedals quiet down.
 

tayvens

New Member
Feb 5, 2005
24
0
0
Thanks for the advice. Is the teflon cleat only for the Keo or is there one for older Look pedals?
 

DiabloScott

New Member
May 15, 2003
2,284
4
38
tayvens said:
Thanks for the advice. Is the teflon cleat only for the Keo or is there one for older Look pedals?

The teflon cleats come in the regular shape - ie all Look pedals other than Keo take the "regular" cleats. Mine are the red ones but I think they have the black "no float" ones in teflon too.
 

DiabloScott

New Member
May 15, 2003
2,284
4
38
OK, I did some checking. The red cleats with teflon are absolutely thicker than red cleats without teflon at the places where the teflon is.

I don't know enough about the cleat/pedal engagement interface to describe why this is or isn't an isssue, but my new Kook Kovers don't fit on my teflon cleats and they fit fine on my non-teflon cleats.

So there.

Respondez Boudreaux SVP