Look pedals

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bryan, May 28, 2003.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    Hi,

    Im thinking of getting some new pedals and have found what appears to be a cheap source of Look pedals. The models are the PP137 (£20) and the PP337 (£23). does anyone have any experience of using these pedals? Are they the bargain they appear or just old pedals that are not very good? Can anyoine recommend any other pedals that are <£30 (I don't particularly want SPD's)

    Thanks

    Bryan

    Tags:

  2. I use Look pedals - fairly basic ones, only flash thing about them is the colour - Bianchi Celeste
    to match my bike (fashion standards must be maintained). I like them - make climbing hills a bit
    easier. I am not comfortable in them in heavy traffic though - too much clipping in and out for me
    to be completely confident in them - hence my "shopping trip" bike has traditional pedals with
    toeclips. But for cycling the miles - I like my Look pedals.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Allen Foster

    Allen Foster Guest

    I picked up a pair of PP296s for £29.95 from www.xpedia.net along with cleats for £3. Great pedals
    and I haven't seen them anywhere near that price in other shops.

    On 29 May 2003 01:30:24 +0950, Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Im thinking of getting some new pedals and have found what appears to be a cheap source of Look
    >pedals. The models are the PP137 (£20) and the PP337 (£23). does anyone have any experience of
    >using these pedals? Are they the bargain they appear or just old pedals that are not very good? Can
    >anyoine recommend any other pedals that are <£30 (I don't particularly want SPD's)
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Bryan

  4. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I have used use several different types of cheap Look Pedals over the years and they all have been
    OK. Mine are old and are OK. You can't really go wrong for £20, get read arc cleats (they allow your
    foot to swivel in the pedal) and set up will be easier.

    "Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Im thinking of getting some new pedals and have found what appears to be a cheap source of Look
    > pedals. The models are the PP137 (£20) and the PP337 (£23). does anyone have any experience of
    > using these pedals? Are they the bargain they appear or just old pedals that are not very good?
    > Can anyoine recommend any other pedals that are <£30 (I don't particularly want SPD's)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bryan

  5. Thanks for that, Allen. A pair of PP337's is winging its way mewards. BTW, the url is
    http://www.xpedia.co.uk (or http://xpedia.frogtrade.net/)

    If you ride lots, though, the low-end resin pedals will wear out. I have two pairs of PP206's (I
    think). One set is on the race bike and grip like a grippy thing, while the other is on the
    commuter, have more than 10000 km under their, er, clicky bits, and no longer maintain their iron
    grip upon my plates.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 11:21:02 +0100, Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Thanks for that, Allen. A pair of PP337's is winging its way mewards. BTW, the url is
    > http://www.xpedia.co.uk (or http://xpedia.frogtrade.net/)

    What is it with these f*****g cycling websites. www.xpedia.com Konqueror - formatting is completely
    screwed and the javascript (I think) is crashing the browser.
    I.E. "You must enable cookies to put items in the shopping basket". Cookies ARE enabled. Netscape on
    Linux. Get all the way through to the end and then "You must have java to buy anything."

    Give up. Go to www.totalcycling.com.

    Get through to "I am new. I have not shopped here before." Click on New.

    "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14' [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
    Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '='. /ssl_msuite/mz3Start_ssl.asp, line 20.

    URL is https://secure.hiphip.com/ssl_msuite/mz3Start_ssl.asp?SessID=&N=CL27SQL01&MerchantSuiteFlag=0

    Hmmm me things - looks like they are sending user supplied data through to the database. Lets just
    try something.

    https://secure.hiphip.com/ssl_msuite/mz3Start_ssl.asp?SessID=1%20AND%20x=x&N=CL27SQL01&MerchantS-
    uiteFlag=0

    Ooops.

    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14' [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
    Server]Invalid column name 'x'. /ssl_msuite/mz3Start_ssl.asp, line 20.

    So we can insert our own SQL into the "Secure" server if we really want to.

    Of course, attempting to go to https://secure.hiphop.com/ in order to report their gaping security
    hole just gives "Directory Listing Denied"

    Hopeless. I'm not sure a post to (NT)bugtraq would help given the lack of contact details but it's
    tempting. According to whois they are based in Miami. seamlesstech.com website doesn't seem to work
    in konqueror (contact us doesn't seem to work) nor in Netscape on linux (Redirects from the home
    page to a 404 with a link to www.microsoft.com)

    (I'm assuming that hiphip.com is nothing to do with totalcycling.com and is just doing the CC
    clearing for them. However the contact us page at totalcycling.com is just to get yourself added to
    their mailing list)

    Disgusted of Watford,

    Tim.

  7. > What is it with these f*****g cycling websites. www.xpedia.com Konqueror - formatting is
    > completely screwed and the javascript (I think) is crashing the browser.
    > I.E. "You must enable cookies to put items in the shopping basket".
    Cookies
    > ARE enabled. Netscape on Linux. Get all the way through to the end and then "You must
    have
    > java to buy anything."

    I ran www.xpedia.co.uk (http://xpedia.frogtrade.net) through a html validator; 226 lines of code,
    containing 115 errors... the quality of the html code is so bad, I'm surprised you got as far as you
    did!! (I had to fix one error just to get anything from the validator!)

    Regards,

    Pete.

  8. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 16:18:21 +0100, Peter Connolly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> What is it with these f*****g cycling websites. www.xpedia.com Konqueror - formatting is
    >> completely screwed and the javascript (I think) is crashing the browser.
    >> I.E. "You must enable cookies to put items in the shopping basket".
    > Cookies
    >> ARE enabled. Netscape on Linux. Get all the way through to the end and then "You must
    > have
    >> java to buy anything."
    >
    > I ran www.xpedia.co.uk (http://xpedia.frogtrade.net) through a html validator; 226 lines of code,
    > containing 115 errors... the quality of the html code is so bad, I'm surprised you got as far as
    > you did!! (I had to fix one error just to get anything from the validator!)

    I went back to xpedia because everywhere else I tried to buy pedals from failed as well. I
    discovered that if you select the "I'll send my credit card details by another route" you can place
    an order using Netscape on Linux. I then telephoned with my credit card details.

    I've now had an acknowledgement that they have my order and are processing
    it.

    SJS cycles (who's website seems to work quite well) only sell right LOOK pedals!

    Regards,

    Tim.

  9. Peter Connolly wrote:

    > I ran www.xpedia.co.uk (http://xpedia.frogtrade.net) through a html validator; 226 lines of code,
    > containing 115 errors... the quality of the html code is so bad, I'm surprised you got as far as
    > you did!! (I had to fix one error just to get anything from the validator!)

    I knew there had to be *one* advantage of running Interweb Exploder on a Wintel box...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Irish Chris

    Irish Chris New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Just as Wafflycathcsdir touched upon, I would be wary about 'clipping into' pedals in built up high traffic areas until your are used to getting your feet out of them quickly.

    I'm an extremely clumsy oaf at the best of times and I've fallen over in the road more than once by not being used to my SPDs and having to brake suddenly in traffic. I can only imagine it to be much the same scenario with Look pedals (for which I have some pedals and plates but no shoes, oddly enough).

    Just keep on clipping in and unclipping your shoes (if you're not used to them) until the point it drives you insane and you start having nightmares about it and you should be fine.

    As I did mention, however, my clumsiness might be responsible for my problems.