LOOK PP396 Float

autoboy

May 21, 2003
Hi there,

this maybe a simple question but i woud love some help.

I wasn;t having any problems with my bike but after a ride last week i uncliped by accident while sprinting. Now i have very limited knowledge about the mechanicals but decided i would adjust the float setting on the pedals to make them harder to clip in. Now i really do not understand how the float works but i adjusted the pedal with an allan key (not sure whcih way i went - or + but it did restrict the movement in the pedals and now they are had to clip in and out but i gat no movement. Well last night i went for my reguler training ride and my knees just packed up they were paintfull and after 60km's i had to pull out and roll home. I adjusted the yellow knovb at the back to 6 and that gave me a little more play but i will not know any difference until i ride again.

Could anyone explain how these work and what exactly the float does and how to adjust them correctly as i am pretty sure this is what caused the pain as it was the only variable in a ride i do every week without any problems.

Originally posted by autoboy
Hi there,

this maybe a simple question but i woud love some help.

I wasn;t having any problems with my bike but after a ride last week i uncliped by accident while sprinting. Now i have very limited knowledge about the mechanicals but decided i would adjust the float setting on the pedals to make them harder to clip in. Now i really do not understand how the float works but i adjusted the pedal with an allan key (not sure whcih way i went - or + but it did restrict the movement in the pedals and now they are had to clip in and out but i gat no movement. Well last night i went for my reguler training ride and my knees just packed up they were paintfull and after 60km's i had to pull out and roll home. I adjusted the yellow knovb at the back to 6 and that gave me a little more play but i will not know any difference until i ride again.

Could anyone explain how these work and what exactly the float does and how to adjust them correctly as i am pretty sure this is what caused the pain as it was the only variable in a ride i do every week without any problems.

MULTI TENSOR SPRING TENSION ADJUSTMENT
All Look pedals feature the Multi Tensor. This means that every pedal has adjustable spring tension, which allows you to adjust how loose or tight your pedal retention plate is. Each pedal possesses a varying spring-tension range. Less expensive pedals have a lighter spring-tension range, and more expensive pedals have a tighter spring-tension range. The Multi Tensor is adjusted by turning a single allen bolt on the pedal.

FLOAT
Float is the amount of free movement of your cleat in the pedal. Float is beneficial as it helps to prevent joint injuries. It allows each of your knees to freely align without any restriction from the pedals.

FREE ARC
Free Arc is an adjustable float feature that can be found on the CX 6Ti, CX6, and A5.1. This dial can adjust float range from 0 degrees (fixed) to 3, 6, or 9 degrees.

Get yourself the new SPD-SL design - easy in, easy out, and you will never unclip during a sprint or a climb (that was a big problem for me also when I had my Look pedals).

U GOTTA GET THESE PEDALS MAN, U WILL LOVE THEM.