Look-style pedal recommendations

ryanspeer

Jul 19, 2006
I'm making the switch from dual-sided MTB SPD pedals and shoes to platform cleat shoes (Look-style), but am hoping for some recommendations in the relatively "budget" category. If buying new, I don't imagine I can justify more than $100ish for pedals at this point in time.

What light-weight, but sturdy pedal would ya'all recommend for a person hoping to enter the racing scene next year and hoping to log a few thousand miles in a 12-month span of time? Look and Shimano would seem to be the big contenders, but I really haven't done a ton of research yet as to which specific model has the best bang for the buck, etc. In honesty, I've looked at some Welgo pedals which frankly seem like they'd be a wise choice for me at this time.

All gear-snobbery aside, are the Look pedals really worth 2x or more than their knockoff Wellgo counterparts? There may be some weight difference, but spending $50 to save 40grams isn't worth it to me right now. My only hesitation of the Wellgo pedals would be their long-term durability (and potentially their adjustability).

I'm just as much of a gear ***** as the next person in terms of wanting high-end parts, but as price definitely IS a concern, is there a real valid reason to choose Look or Shimano over Wellgo? If so, why, and which models would you recommend?

Also, for the record, I'm not against buying used gear either. If you happen to have a pair laying around . . . my email is [email protected]. :D

Very subtle hint, there, I know . . .

*** late addition ***

Specifically, should I avoid pedals such as these, and if so, why?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wellgo-M-9-Look-Style-Road-Pedals-Includes-Red-Cleats_W0QQitemZ260024688697QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bianchi-celeste-Wellgo-Look-type-pedals-NEW_W0QQitemZ130021931265QQihZ003QQcategoryZ36138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

etc.

I's have a look at the Shimano PD R540 as well, its their entry level road pedal. Around the same price bracket your looking at. The design is all the same shape and size through the Shimano range with lightness and bearings type being the differentiator between models.

ryanspeer said:
I'm making the switch from dual-sided MTB SPD pedals and shoes to platform cleat shoes (Look-style), but am hoping for some recommendations in the relatively "budget" category. If buying new, I don't imagine I can justify more than $100ish for pedals at this point in time.

What light-weight, but sturdy pedal would ya'all recommend for a person hoping to enter the racing scene next year and hoping to log a few thousand miles in a 12-month span of time? Look and Shimano would seem to be the big contenders, but I really haven't done a ton of research yet as to which specific model has the best bang for the buck, etc. In honesty, I've looked at some Welgo pedals which frankly seem like they'd be a wise choice for me at this time.

All gear-snobbery aside, are the Look pedals really worth 2x or more than their knockoff Wellgo counterparts? There may be some weight difference, but spending $50 to save 40grams isn't worth it to me right now. My only hesitation of the Wellgo pedals would be their long-term durability (and potentially their adjustability).

I'm just as much of a gear ***** as the next person in terms of wanting high-end parts, but as price definitely IS a concern, is there a real valid reason to choose Look or Shimano over Wellgo? If so, why, and which models would you recommend?

Also, for the record, I'm not against buying used gear either. If you happen to have a pair laying around . . . my email is [email protected]. :D

Very subtle hint, there, I know . . .

*** late addition ***

Specifically, should I avoid pedals such as these, and if so, why?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wellgo-M-9-Look-Style-Road-Pedals-Includes-Red-Cleats_W0QQitemZ260024688697QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bianchi-celeste-Wellgo-Look-type-pedals-NEW_W0QQitemZ130021931265QQihZ003QQcategoryZ36138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

etc.

I had wellgo mtb pedals in the past. Worked OK but durability was a bit less than desired-but probably worth the $30.

I bought the look KEO classic pedals, i was afraid of the superlight ones, due to my weight(230lbs) they feel great, but the lowest setting for the release is a little bit too light in my opinion. Good luck!

I recommend these I suppose....

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20252&subcategory_ID=10046#

I have the basic same thing minus the three degrees of float option and they are awsome. I much prefer the feel of LOOK cleats and pedals. The amount of force you get is better than SPD style, better distributed, and way more comfortable float use. It is like being on glass but with all the toque applying power you could ever want... SPD stuff is just uh like riding on gravel. Funny all I ride now is my fixie with SPD style for my mountain/walk shoes.

Powerful Pete said:
From what I have heard exustars are better quality than wellgos.
Thanks everybody. I was looking a few pairs of Exustar pedals on eBay but had never heard of them before. Wasn't sure if they were some REALLY entry-level stuff with no reputation whatsoever or if they were actually semi-decent pedals worth at least some consideration. More to ponder while trying to make a purchase. Dang I wish this weren't so difficult to do on a budget!

ryanspeer said:
Thanks everybody. I was looking a few pairs of Exustar pedals on eBay but had never heard of them before. Wasn't sure if they were some REALLY entry-level stuff with no reputation whatsoever or if they were actually semi-decent pedals worth at least some consideration. More to ponder while trying to make a purchase. Dang I wish this weren't so difficult to do on a budget!
I know this isn't going to help, but I bought some Look PP296 pedals second hand from a cycling acquaintance. I think finding this stuff is cheaper if you know somebody who is upgrading. As an aside, plenty of people complain about the Look pedals squeaking etc. so you might want to consider that. I haven't had any issues with the PP296 other than wearing the cleats out. I wouldn't recommend the knock-off cleats - the genuine ones are better as a rule but are more expensive, so budget wise not such a great idea.

On the whole, if you're on a budget I'd be tempted to stick to the SPD mountain bike style shimano pedals - I used them for a quite a while on my road bike and the Look pedals are better, but not better enough to justify eating baked beans for a month while you pay for them. Just an opinion.

cheers,

dave.

drubie said:
On the whole, if you're on a budget I'd be tempted to stick to the SPD mountain bike style shimano pedals - I used them for a quite a while on my road bike and the Look pedals are better, but not better enough to justify eating baked beans for a month while you pay for them. Just an opinion.
One other thing - budget for cleat covers if you switch to a plastic cleat system. More expensive up front but will be cheaper in the long run. I tuck mine into a jersey pocket and try to use them as much as possible. With the metal cleat based SPD stuff I never bothered as they are much tougher, although shop keepers don't like you walking around on their linoleum :)

cheers,

dave.

ryanspeer said:
In the states, Exustar is probably known as EXUS only...

Anyways, here is a link for a pair of look style exustar pedals

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXUS-LOOK-STYLE-ROAD-RACING-PEDALS-WITH-CLEATS_W0QQitemZ7179964727QQihZ015QQcategoryZ36138QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem