Look v SPD pedals - which is better?

Doug williams

Nov 19, 2002
I have been using SPD pedals and shoes for several months. I have just purchased some bargain shoes which are Look and SPD compatible. I am thinking about buying some Look pedals as I have heard that they are superior to the SPD system. Am I correct or am I just looking for something else to spend my money on?

I'd be interested to hear what the more experienced people here have to say -- I've been wondering something much the same.<br /><br />The only thing I know is that the Look pedal/cleat system has a larger pedalling platform, at the expense of not being easily &quot;walkable&quot; like SPD is.<br /><br />In my opinion (based on rather limited experience) SPD is a good, convenient system.. it may not be the traditional/purist's choice for a road bike, but it's very convenient (walkable, double-sided pedals available, same cleats/shoes for road and MTB, etc.)<br /><br />I'd like to hear an alternative view from a Look fan though, after all Look has to be the roadie standard for a reason :)<br /><br />I've heard anecdotes of &quot;hot spots&quot; under your foot from using SPD pedals ... but in my experience it's a non-issue. I've ridden 130km in ~4h20 (i.e. at a fair pace) which included some hilly terrain and had no foot discomfort at all with SPD .. well, except for complete and total discomfort when I bonked out about 5km from the end :p

I'm using a set of Looks at the moment, having used SPD's previously. Altho I never experienced hot-spots with the SPD's, I do find the Look's more "comfortable" to ride because of the wider contact area. Power transfer seems better too. I also enjoy the bigger free arc of the Looks compared to my old SPD's (I ride 'red' cleats).

[quote author=rek link=board=20;threadid=2791;start=0#23687 date=1040238074]<br />I've heard anecdotes of &quot;hot spots&quot; under your foot from using SPD pedals ... but in my experience it's a non-issue. I've ridden 130km in ~4h20 (i.e. at a fair pace) which included some hilly terrain and had no foot discomfort at all with SPD .. well, except for complete and total discomfort when I bonked out about 5km from the end :p<br />[/quote]<br />Ok - some anecdotal &quot;evidence&quot;: I ride with SPD's and I experience pain after about 60km on most rides - normally unclip and ride like that until the pain subsides. I have been advised to try to adjust the position of the cleat but it is already under the ball of my foot. I can not guarantee that it is the SPD that causes the pain, but my gut feeling is that a broader surface under my foot would spread the pressure more.

Many times Pressure pain is caused by the stifness of the shoe. If the sole isn't hard enough you get pressure points.

Hmm, interesting.. I hadn't thought of the role the sole stiffness could play, but it does make sense. Funnily enough, the cycling shoes I have aren't all that stiff, in fact they're one of the low-end Shimano SPD shoes! (the M037)<br /><br />Perhaps it's also to do with pedalling style? I generally spin at a fairly high cadence (avg. about 95rpm), avoiding the need to apply much force to the pedals on each revolution; I would guess that someone who rides at a lower cadence would be more susceptible to foot discomfort.

You might know Egg beater pedales they have a very smal contact zone and therefor they recommend Carbon soles for use with there pedals.<br /><br />Rek, <br />Its indeed not only the sole its also personal sensitivity and the way you ride rpm but even more the power you have. Most of the problems are possible to be solved by the sole, adapt the sole to your power, pedal type and pedalling style and it most times is solved.

Hi Guys<br /><br />I use VP SPD type pedals with Shimano SPD Shoes (lower end type). Shortly after purchasing them I started experiencing serious &quot;hot spots&quot; with severe discomfort after cycling a while. I then added another inner sole made of high density foam and the discomfort stopped. I stil am not sure wether this was a mind thing or real discomfort!!!!!!<br /><br />The photo is me during the Carousel Sungardens Classis in 2001 just after my problem was solved. Look at the smile.<br /><br />Keep those wheels spinning<br /><br />Big H