look what i used as a chain whip to switch cassettes!

CdnRider

Apr 16, 2010
So i decided to switch out cassettes yesterday. Had my cassette removal tool but realized i didn't have a chain whip. Tried a few things like using an old chain, tapping out the lock ring with a screwdriver.....etc.

Looked around the garage and something hanging caught my eye!! I remember buying it years ago, when I used to work on my car and friends rides. Anyhow.....it's a serrated automotive oil filter remover. Locks perfectly too. Fits perfectly on the cassette. I was careful not to crank on it too hard in fear of chipping one of the cogs. Worked like a charm!!

I'm still going to make my own chain whip when i get around to it....but if you're ever in a jam..... have a look around your garage. You never know what kind of solutions are lurking.

CdnRider said:
So i decided to switch out cassettes yesterday. Had my cassette removal tool but realized i didn't have a chain whip. Tried a few things like using an old chain, tapping out the lock ring with a screwdriver.....etc.

Looked around the garage and something hanging caught my eye!! I remember buying it years ago, when I used to work on my car and friends rides. Anyhow.....it's a serrated automotive oil filter remover. Locks perfectly too. Fits perfectly on the cassette. I was careful not to crank on it too hard in fear of chipping one of the cogs. Worked like a charm!!

I'm still going to make my own chain whip when i get around to it....but if you're ever in a jam..... have a look around your garage. You never know what kind of solutions are lurking.

PEDRO'S USA - Total Bicycle Care | Vise Whip

Too bad, yours is a great idea...Pedros formalized it and are making the $.

I'd be happy enough if someone here used this idea/tip to their benefit when they're in a bind like i was.

I really didn't feel like dropping 15-40$ on something like a chain whip tool.

Going to try and fabricate one this wknd.