Looking at Brompton Prices

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dransfield, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Dransfield

    Dransfield Guest

    Have I got this right... A Basic Red Brompton costs £375, and then mudguards, rear carrier, dynamo
    lights, and a range of colours take you up in big steps to £621 for an orange L3 traveller.

    So one pays up to £245 for for mudgds, rack, lights and colour? Sounds like a BMW price list to me,
    or have i got it wrong?

    (I was looking at http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/index1.html)

    Dransfield

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Dransfield <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Have I got this right... A Basic Red Brompton costs £375, and then mudguards, rear carrier, dynamo
    > lights, and a range of colours take you up in big steps to £621 for an orange L3 traveller.
    >
    > So one pays up to £245 for for mudgds, rack, lights and colour? Sounds like a BMW price list to
    > me, or have i got it wrong?
    >
    > (I was looking at http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/index1.html)

    Yes and no. The basic C3 is a cheaper build than the L or T series. Adding the bits you mention to a
    C3 would create a C3 with bits on, not an L3 or
    T3. The same is not true between the L & T series. The differences are all listed at
    http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/specification.htm

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  3. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have I got this right... A Basic Red Brompton costs £375, and then mudguards, rear carrier, dynamo
    > lights, and a range of colours take you up in big steps to £621 for an orange L3 traveller.
    >
    > So one pays up to £245 for for mudgds, rack, lights and colour? Sounds
    like
    > a BMW price list to me, or have i got it wrong?
    >
    > (I was looking at http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/index1.html)
    >
    > Dransfield

    Having look wistfully in the past at the Brompton there is certainly a "basic" model as you describe
    BUT if you look at the specs etc for the models the pricing is not quite as BMW-like as you suggest
    ! Take a look at http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/ for the details on specs etc.

    I have no axe to grind either way, or any connection with Brompton - just make sure that you are
    comparing chalk and chalk when looking at the prices.

    RG ( .... the folder I own is a 1975 Bickerton which can only be described as being akin to riding a
    bag of tent poles!)

  4. RG <Don't even think about it> wrote:
    >RG ( .... the folder I own is a 1975 Bickerton which can only be described as being akin to riding
    >a bag of tent poles!)

    Not too many of those left. My father has one - I sheared the seatpost off it once, which dumped me
    arse-first in the road in a very undignified fashion.

  5. John B

    John B Guest

    David Damerell wrote:

    > RG <Don't even think about it> wrote:
    > >RG ( .... the folder I own is a 1975 Bickerton which can only be described as being akin to
    > >riding a bag of tent poles!)
    >
    > Not too many of those left. My father has one - I sheared the seatpost off it once, which dumped
    > me arse-first in the road in a very undignified fashion.

    There's a chap I've seen a couple of times in Winchester who has converted one into a recumbent,
    with the 'cowhorn' bars reversed to give underseat steering.

    It seems to wobble/flex a lot

    John B

  6. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > David Damerell wrote:
    >
    > > RG <Don't even think about it> wrote:
    > > >RG ( .... the folder I own is a 1975 Bickerton which can only be
    described
    > > >as being akin to riding a bag of tent poles!)
    > >
    > > Not too many of those left. My father has one - I sheared the seatpost
    off it
    > > once, which dumped me arse-first in the road in a very undignified fashion.
    >
    > There's a chap I've seen a couple of times in Winchester who has converted
    one
    > into a recumbent, with the 'cowhorn' bars reversed to give underseat
    steering.

    > It seems to wobble/flex a lot
    >
    > John B

    The comment "wobble/flex a lot" is the understatement of the millennium - I'm about 15 stone and
    tall, I dare not stand up on the pedals! (have to confess I only keep it for novelty value - last
    used it to fetch my wife's car back from the garage, all of a mile away - but it did give the
    service manager a laugh....)

    RG

  7. John B

    John B Guest

    RG wrote:

    > "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > There's a chap I've seen a couple of times in Winchester who has converted
    > one
    > > into a recumbent, with the 'cowhorn' bars reversed to give underseat
    > steering.
    > >
    > > It seems to wobble/flex a lot
    > >
    > > John B
    > >

    > The comment "wobble/flex a lot" is the understatement of the millennium - I'm about 15 stone and
    > tall, I dare not stand up on the pedals!

    That could explain his conversion to the dark side.

    John B

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Dransfield wrote:
    > Have I got this right... A Basic Red Brompton costs =A3375, and then mudguards, rear carrier, d=
    ynamo
    > lights, and a range of colours take you up in big steps to =A3621 for a=
    > orange L3 traveller.

    Note Tony's mail on differences between the C and L & T models, but=20 further to that, you can't
    have an "L3 Traveller", 'cause if it's a=20 Traveller it's a T, not an L...

    I have an L3. Having looked at the options I decided the C represented=20 a false economy, and I
    haven't changed my mind since buying the L. If=20 you get a Brompton then (a) they're great and (b)
    I'd personally=20 recommend one of the gearing reduction options. I also prefer dynohubs=20 to
    bottle dynamos, so had Kinetics put in a SON for me rather than the=20 bottle system available on
    the T. I use the Brompton pannier rather=20 than a rear rack.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Andyk

    Andyk Guest

    -I have an L3. Having looked at the options I decided the C represented -a false economy, and I
    haven't changed my mind since buying the L. If -you get a Brompton then (a) they're great and (b)
    I'd personally -recommend one of the gearing reduction options. I also prefer dynohubs -to bottle
    dynamos, so had Kinetics put in a SON for me rather than the -bottle system available on the T. I
    use the Brompton pannier rather -than a rear rack.

    -Pete.
    --

    Hmmm... are the brakes on the brompton as bad as they look? I was considering one but am tempted by
    the lightweight Dahons instead (single-speed Presto SL, say) - these have V brakes and save a bit

    Off the original topic, but any comments?

    AndyK

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    AndyK <[email protected].nospam> wrote: Hmmm... are the brakes on the brompton as bad as they look? I
    was considering one but am tempted by the lightweight Dahons instead (single-speed Presto SL, say) -
    these have V brakes and save a bit of weight.

    Off the original topic, but any comments?

    AndyK

    The brakes used to have a poor reputation but the ones they are now fitting are fine. I'm not the
    lightest person around but found I could lock the wheels with them if I tried. If you want more
    power the US distributor does a V-brake conversion kit for the Brompton but I don't find it
    necessary (as someone that has Maguras and Hope discs on other bikes).

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    AndyK wrote:

    > Hmmm... are the brakes on the brompton as bad as they look?

    They look like dual pivots to me, and work fine! That represents an upgrade from the Mk 2, where the
    brakes were "adequate", but they're really not an issue any more IME.

    > considering one but am tempted by the lightweight Dahons instead (single-speed Presto SL, say) -
    > these have V brakes and save a bit of weight.

    But you're always back to the fundamental problem of the Brompton folding better than anything else
    that still gives a decent ride (possibly excepting the more expensive R&M Frog). If you want a
    lighter bike with better performance and are prepared to spend Real Money I'd have a serious look at
    the various flavours of Birdy, but if the primary goal is something with a quick, easy and very
    compact fold then the Brompton is probably still the best game in town. They're generally assumed to
    be "toy bikes" just from the looks but they're quite capable machines. Did ~30 miles on the Saturday
    of Easter weekend, including at least 5 off road and aside from getting off for a Ford that I'd have
    ridden through on the MTB there weren't any issues. Some very amazed looking folk on MTBs though...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Andyk

    Andyk Guest

    > AndyK wrote:
    >

    > > considering one but am tempted by the lightweight Dahons instead (single-speed Presto SL, say) -
    > > these have V brakes and save a bit of weight.

    <snip Pete's nice comments about them nasty heavy Bromptons>

    > Pete.

    You're not making this easy for me, Pete!

    I'll just have to toss a coin, or sell a kidney and buy one of each!

    AndyK

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    AndyK wrote:

    > You're not making this easy for me, Pete!
    >=20
    > I'll just have to toss a coin, or sell a kidney and buy one of each!

    Just sell your liver too and get a Birdy Grey. "Only" =A31500, but it=20 does have a Rohloff Speed
    Hub as standard...

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  14. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dransfield wrote:
    > > Have I got this right... A Basic Red Brompton costs £375,

    Sounds like a good opening for an enterprising soul to do a deal with South Central Trains for
    when all us normal bike riding commuters are obliged to buy folders next year with the
    introduction of class
    375/319 stock. I might even consider a 2 tone green "new southern railway" one if I got a discount.

  15. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    martin wrote:

    > Sounds like a good opening for an enterprising soul to do a deal with South Central Trains for
    > when all us normal bike riding commuters are obliged to buy folders next year with the
    > introduction of class
    > 375/319 stock. I might even consider a 2 tone green "new southern railway" one if I got a
    > discount.

    Problem with this is that AFAICT Brompton are practically having to beat off prospective new
    customers with a shitty stick as it is... (which is why discounts on them just don't happen: why
    bother, then they sell at full price?). Though having said that, I think they're still very good
    value if you want what they do.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  16. Andyk

    Andyk Guest

    >> You're not making this easy for me, Pete!
    >>
    >> I'll just have to toss a coin, or sell a kidney and buy one of each!
    >
    >Just sell your liver too and get a Birdy Grey. "Only" £1500, but it does have a Rohloff Speed Hub
    >as standard...
    >
    >Pete.

    Wow - didn't know they did one of those - probably a third of that price is the hub. Come to mention
    it, probably a third of the WEIGHT is the hub...

    So I think I'm nearly persuaded to start with a Brompton L3, strip off everything that's not
    strictly needed to make it go, fit SPD's and a lighter saddle, etc. I had considered the C3 but with
    the extra cost of improving the brakes, chainset, spokes... The lightest Dahons (8-9 Kg they claim)
    seem a bit of an unknown at the moment.

    (I live in a 1st floor flat and am fed up of dragging my otherwiuse wonderful tourer up stairs for
    those 1-2 hour rides.)

    As for the luxury stuff in the future... well, what we save by not running a car... : )

    AndyK

    ps - can't sell my liver. "It's my second most favourite organ" as someone once said.

  17. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    --------------EC73840B1906D9BAD51A8346 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

    The latest range of Dahons seem to be getting good reviews now. The Folding Society now have a new
    Speical Interest Group dedicated to them. Maybe worth checking it out first at:

    www.foldsoc.co.uk

    Regards

    TB

    AndyK wrote:

    > >> You're not making this easy for me, Pete!
    > >>
    > >> I'll just have to toss a coin, or sell a kidney and buy one of each!
    > >
    > >Just sell your liver too and get a Birdy Grey. "Only" £1500, but it does have a Rohloff Speed Hub
    > >as standard...
    > >
    > >Pete.
    > >

    > Wow - didn't know they did one of those - probably a third of that price is the hub. Come to
    > mention it, probably a third of the WEIGHT is the hub...
    >
    > So I think I'm nearly persuaded to start with a Brompton L3, strip off everything that's not
    > strictly needed to make it go, fit SPD's and a lighter saddle, etc. I had considered the C3 but
    > with the extra cost of improving the brakes, chainset, spokes... The lightest Dahons (8-9 Kg they
    > claim) seem a bit of an unknown at the moment.
    >
    > (I live in a 1st floor flat and am fed up of dragging my otherwiuse wonderful tourer up stairs for
    > those 1-2 hour rides.)
    >
    > As for the luxury stuff in the future... well, what we save by not running a car... : )
    >
    > AndyK
    >
    > ps - can't sell my liver. "It's my second most favourite organ" as someone once said.

    --------------EC73840B1906D9BAD51A8346 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> The latest range of Dahons
    seem to be getting good reviews now. The Folding Society now have a new Speical Interest Group
    dedicated to them. Maybe worth checking it out first at:
    <q>Regards
    <r>TB
    I'll just have to toss a coin, or sell a kidney and buy one of each! <br>> <br>>Just sell your
    liver too and get a Birdy Grey. "Only" &pound;1500, but it <br>>does have a Rohloff Speed
    <t>Wow - didn't know they did one of those - probably a third of that price is <br>the hub. Come to
    mention it, probably a third of the WEIGHT is the hub...
    <u>So I think I'm nearly persuaded to start with a Brompton L3, strip off <br>everything that's not
    strictly needed to make it go, fit SPD's and a lighter <br>saddle, etc. I had considered
    the C3 but with the extra cost of improving <br>the brakes, chainset, spokes... The
    lightest Dahons (8-9 Kg they claim) <br>seem a bit of an unknown at the moment.
    <v>(I live in a 1st floor flat and am fed up of dragging my otherwiuse <br>wonderful tourer up
    stairs for those 1-2 hour rides.)
    <w>As for the luxury stuff in the future... well, what we save by not running a <br>car... : )
    <x>AndyK
    <y>ps - can't sell my liver. "It's my second most favourite organ" as someone <br>once
    said.</blockquote> </html>

    --------------EC73840B1906D9BAD51A8346--

  18. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    AndyK wrote:

    > So I think I'm nearly persuaded to start with a Brompton L3, strip off everything that's not
    > strictly needed to make it go, fit SPD's and a lighter saddle, etc. I had considered the C3 but
    > with the extra cost of improving the brakes, chainset, spokes...

    Stripping down a Brompton to save ounces strikes me as a bit pointless, to be honest. Since the
    riding position is quite upright and the bar stem will flex quite a bit if you haul on it you're
    never going to break any speed records and the wind resistance will make far more difference than
    you'll make up with a razor-blade for a saddle and such like.

    > The lightest Dahons (8-9 Kg they claim) seem a bit of an unknown at the moment.

    From what I've seen of the Dahons they're good pieces of kit (they're the biggest manufacturer of
    folding bikes in the world, btw) and I certainly wouldn't object to owning any of the ones I've
    seen and examined. The Brompton is the best there is when it comes to a quick and compact fold on a
    useful bike, but that's not the only consideration. If there's something else that folds well
    *enough* for your purposes it makes very good sense to look beyond the Brompton.

    > (I live in a 1st floor flat and am fed up of dragging my otherwiuse wonderful tourer up stairs for
    > those 1-2 hour rides.)

    If this is the only problem and you want something reasonably quick/light and can't afford a Birdy
    Black then I'd say a Dahon would probably make more sense than a Brommie.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  19. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > So I think I'm nearly persuaded to start with a Brompton L3, strip off everything that's not
    > strictly needed to make it go, fit SPD's and a lighter saddle, etc.

    The only thing to remember is that the Brommie comes with a very neat folding left pedal. I find
    this very useful as it stops me cracking my shins when carrying the bike and it makes it a few
    inches narrower when it comes to luggage space on trains and doorways.. My Brompton is my one
    non-spd bike out of the four. If someone releases a folding spd (or other system for that matter)
    pedal then I'll be buying it straight away.

    Colin

  20. Andyk

    Andyk Guest

    <snipped loads of helpful hints from various people>

    Thanks all, some good comments to think about (possibly too many!)

    The Brompton will be the best for the occasional train trip as well as most of my shorter rides;

    The Birdy (also Airnimal, etc) will probably be the best performance machine, though I want
    something cheaper as a first folder - maybe later, if I get bitten by the bug...;

    Dahon do some (probably) slightly lighter/faster alternatives to the Brompton;

    I'm going to think about it, look around, probably toss a coin and will eventually buy SOMETHING...
    I'll come back with the details...

    Cheers All, AndyK